Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part 1 [closed, see Part II]

Will Chris Scott see out his contract until the end of 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 79 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. He got up for finals, only to be suspended for our most important game. As I said, I am one of Chappy's staunchest fans, but I honestly thought he'd struggle to play 10 games in 2014. Obviously, I have been proven to be a poor prognosticator.

I had my reservations whether Chappy would be up for full seasons aswell from 2014 onwards. Would have thought he could have been managed,playing about 17-18 games plus finials in seasons 2014/2015.
That scenario would have been a win/win for both parties IMO and seen 1 of our best in maybe our greatest era go out wearing the hoops.

Chris Scott - Poxtel's AFL 360 - Countdown to Rd3
"We tend to focus more on the facts rather than highlight one issue + say, 'That's the problem with the rest of our game'. That certain incident is something we'd like to be a lot better at, but we're also not in the habit of talking about what we used to be. I'm sick to death of hearing about what Geelong used to be. We're focused on what we are now, um, what we need to bring this week + what we're going to be like later in the season. I don't care about what happened in previous years, or who Geelong used to be, I care about who we're going to be moving forward."

When he played...
TBH, nobody could have foreseen that Chappy would play as many games and as well as he has after 2013. He looked gone throughout 2013.

He did, did he? In his second game back after that long injury, he collected 26 possessions and kicked 2 goals in a one-point win over Brisbane, in which he literally saved us the game in the dying minutes. He was subsequently played as the sub against Freo, and then in the SF, he dragged the side over the line against Port. There is no doubt that without Chapman, we would have gone out in straight sets in 2013 as well.

And I'm pretty sure I did say that Chapman would play plenty of games for the Bombers. As I've said in the past, 2013 was an aberration, not the norm. It was the first time Chappy had missed that many games from that injury. Why we can handle sitting a nobody like Cowan on the list for six years while he gets over various injuries, yet the career of legendary player Paul Chapman is over the moment he has an injury that keeps him out for the majority of the season, is beyond me. An injury he successfully returned from, mind you.

That too. We did offer him a deal that he may have felt insulted by, but if he had demanded to play weekly by displaying the form he did show in 2014, there is no way Geelong MC would have dropped him. We will never know, it was not meant to be.

"Thanks for winning us the SF off your own boot, Paul. If you could just agree to only play ten games next year and at a severely reduced wage, that would be great. We're not demanding the same of any of the other veterans. They'll all be walk-up starts regardless of form, but you know, we have to get games into Burbury. He's the future of the club."

Hawks' older players are yet to decline like ours have. When Lake, Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne et al start to decline, so too will Hawthorn's dominance. Then, they too will be in transition, irrespective of how many juniors they debut.
So why have the Hawks' older players remained so fit? Why have our players of the same age declined?

And when your supply (draft) of youngsters continues to decline in volume and quality it just gets harder and harder to maintain the rage and stay at the top.

The whole idea behind the draft system. Equalisation.
Not to mention some extremely talented players who've been on the injured list for years! :(

I think you are thinking of MR's G.Ablett snr,J Scarlett,R.Blake and J.Hawkins. :D
I've seen GAS's :eek: ;) :thumbsu:

Don't ask!!! *ladies don't kiss + tell*

Is Malthouse a good coach or not? His team is playing shite.
Is Ross Lyon a good coach? Why of course! But his team was playing crap in 2011.
Ken Hinkley is a great coach! Well he was before the start of the season. Now he is a crap coach.

And so on, and so forth.
The coaches can only do so much, ultimately it's up to the players to win games.
It's extremely rare that a coach inherits a list as talented as Geelong's. I think only Alan Joyce was luckier than Chris Scott in the era of non player-coach regarding an inherited list. Look what happened there. Both sides pretty much coached themselves, they both had immense talent and amazing on-field leaders.

I'm not trying to knock CS, but a little perspective is required. It's my opinion that most coaches would have gotten Geelong to win the flag in 2011. Chris Scott can't be faulted for what he did, he delivered us a premiership, but now the challenge of regenerating the list is upon him and Chris Scott's true test is what he achieves from here. And, unlike a lot on here, I'm happy to give him time.
How much of that 2011 flag was a result of the players being determined to succeed when GAJ left? Also, how much of that 2011 flag was a result of players being able to shine, without all the focus being on GAJ, or the relief that the 2010 GAJ speculation had ended? My point being that our 2011 flag was a result of many issues - Bomber leaving + Scotty being a new, refreshing addition to the Club, who didn't go berserk making changes +++ other issues like a newish Captain ???

2011 was a good list

2011 was a surprise to most of us here
did not see it coming , have to admit.

We started the year winning close ones, hanged in there.
Come the end of the year we were the best side
Chris Scott has to take credit for that.

Now finally we are at "transition" ,lets see how things go
maybe Balmes's input in those years have been underestimated
big challenge ahead
Plus Hinkley's contribution ???

Wells and Balme actually Hocking hasn't been responsible for that at any end of season yet. That said I agree with the point you're making.
Hocking was the one who made the decision about Chappy :eek: or :oops: ? ;)

Don't you hate Scooter as a nickname, almost as bad as "Daisy".
Scooter is Barbie's sister?
09e1d06d8d58f73a1bdac6e1dd52ecfa.jpg

Yup play him forward and play a high higher line with the rest of the team. Against Freo we ended up so deep. Our forward 50 was empty for much of the game. So what if we get lots kicked over the top I'd rather that than be on the back foot all day and grind away ten goal losses.
Could it be as a result of -

GeelongCats - PlayersLookingAtOneAnother.jpg
???

Firstly, a coach has to be around long enough to assemble a team. Many coaches are around for two-three years, so can't really make an impact.

Here's an example. Who gets credit for the Bulldogs' recent performances- Brendan McCartney for bringing a lot of those players into the club, or Luke Beveridge who is getting the best out of them?

How do you know Scott won't assemble a premiership list. Some of our youngsters look the goods, and the only reason more haven't come on is because of our horror injury run (to players such as Menzel and Vardy).
On the other hand - Carlton + Malthouse?

He did, did he? In his second game back after that long injury, he collected 26 possessions and kicked 2 goals in a one-point win over Brisbane, in which he literally saved us the game in the dying minutes. He was subsequently played as the sub against Freo, and then in the SF, he dragged the side over the line against Port. There is no doubt that without Chapman, we would have gone out in straight sets in 2013 as well.

And I'm pretty sure I did say that Chapman would play plenty of games for the Bombers. As I've said in the past, 2013 was an aberration, not the norm. It was the first time Chappy had missed that many games from that injury. Why we can handle sitting a nobody like Cowan on the list for six years while he gets over various injuries, yet the career of legendary player Paul Chapman is over the moment he has an injury that keeps him out for the majority of the season, is beyond me. An injury he successfully returned from, mind you.

The best post I have read this year.

amazing isnt it

you know of course biggy boy, chapman was keeping the likes of burbury brown scroeder sheringham stringer hunt out of the team
it was all about chris scottys smooth transition

might as well get rid of a older superstar to make way for the up and coming stars of tomorrow.

...... "winks"

Whilst still getting the ball I thought Chappy looked like someone who was struggling, 26 possessions does look good on paper but at the time I thought he looked like someone I wasn't sure would make it through another year and thought it justified to only offer 1 year contract.

Could it be argued that if Chappy was confident in hes body he should take one and back himself to play well to then get another?

I was suprised at how he looked at essendon last year, he seemed to have found a yard again and he's kicking depth looked much better, maybe this issue is more a reflection of our training program, however bodies are hard to predict and if chappy pulled a hamstring round 1 last year and looked gone we would all be scratching our heads as to why he still had two years to play.

After 2013 I couldn't confidently offer Chappy two years, I think one was justified and he was well within hes right to get two when offered from somewhere else. If given the opportunity again I still wouldn't do it and I hope we take the same approach with anyone else in the future.

Whilst still getting the ball I thought Chappy looked like someone who was struggling, 26 possessions does look good on paper but at the time I thought he looked like someone I wasn't sure would make it through another year and thought it justified to only offer 1 year contract.

Could it be argued that if Chappy was confident in hes body he should take one and back himself to play well to then get another?

I was suprised at how he looked at essendon last year, he seemed to have found a yard again and he's kicking depth looked much better, maybe this issue is more a reflection of our training program, however bodies are hard to predict and if chappy pulled a hamstring round 1 last year and looked gone we would all be scratching our heads as to why he still had two years to play.

After 2013 I couldn't confidently offer Chappy two years, I think one was justified and he was well within hes right to get two when offered from somewhere else. If given the opportunity again I still wouldn't do it and I hope we take the same approach with anyone else in the future.
I wondered how much of his grit and determination to succeed last year was because he needed to prove something to the GFC and whether it would've been a different story had he stayed at the Cattery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he played...
TBH, nobody could have foreseen that Chappy would play as many games and as well as he has after 2013. He looked gone throughout 2013.
This is perhaps an even worse post than the one claiming Blicavs is our second most important player. After Chapmans injury (his only long term injury in 10 years) he played only two full games and was arguably best on ground in both and you think he looked gone?

This is perhaps an even worse post than the one claiming Blicavs is our second most important player. After Chapmans injury (his only long term injury in 10 years) he played only two full games and was arguably best on ground in both and you think he looked gone?
THROUGHOUT 2013. Read it as you like. Did not mention he was gone at finals time.
But MC was mighty pissed off he got himself suspended, just adding fuel to the fire.

Last edited:
THROUGHOUT 2013. Read it as you like. Did not mention he was gone at finals time.
But MC was mighty pissed off he got himself suspended, just adding fuel to the fire.

Perhaps. But there is no way they can isolate Chapman alone for that, seeing that Johnson had done it before him (and missed the 2012 Elimination Final), and then decided he liked it so much he kept repeating it through 2013. Where is his punishment?

Perhaps. But there is no way they can isolate Chapman alone for that, seeing that Johnson had done it before him (and missed the 2012 Elimination Final), and then decided he liked it so much he kept repeating it through 2013. Where is his punishment?
No, my point was Chappy missed a lot of 2013, came back, played well enough, then suspension to miss the crucial game.
SJ's punishment was to miss the game, as was Chappy's.
Chappy was offered a contract at Geelong- he was not Kinged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back