Preview Changes/pre-match discussion v Collingwood (FINAL CHANGES: OUT: Wood/Jacobs IN: Brown/Swallow)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What statement were you looking for??
Who was the big name you wanted out?

If you consistently fail to meet performance expectations then you shouldn't be getting a game. Its not difficult.

When the 7 game player was so horrifically bad it does. When "the team scapegoat" just isn't good enough it does.

Its just shuffling deck chairs.

For all the flak that Lyon cops in terms of player management he brought over Sylvia, but failure to live up to expectations of the coaching staff has seen him wallowing in the WAFL and consequent retirement from AFL. Sure it is a failed recruitment but no one gets a free pass over there, I don't think it is surprising Freo haven't lost a game.

I don't recall signalling my desire to drop a big name I just want all players to be held to the same standard.

Last edited:
It isn't a bad decision despite the furore on here. Yes, Benny has been going well down there but the majority of his possies are uncontested and a great deal of those are sideways and don't really provide any drive. One of the reasons we have struggled this year to date is due to a lack of decent launch from half back. This in turn is putting us under pressure when we do manage to get the ball into the midfield as we have no real space to work into. Then we turn it over, the ball goes into our defensive 50 and the cycle begins again.

What his exclusion will bring is more time in the defensive 50 for Shaun Atley who is capable of generating drive with his pace. He is not one to go sideways too often so this change reflects us trying to create a more dynamic defensive unit. It's tough on Jacobs but there was really no other option other than McDonald, but he too is more attacking than Jacobs. Roles wise the logical omission is Jacobs and my only question regarding this move is why it wasn't done earlier considering our attacking balance from defence has been out of whack for most of the season, which is something a stat sheet won't tell you.

We like to let things ride for 8 weeks before we make a decision.

Despite it being a problem for that whole time.

We like to let things ride for 8 weeks before we make a decision.

Despite it being a problem for that whole time.
They were clearly trying to change things up a little and control the tempo of the game more but we don't have the skill for that unfortunately. Yep, bout time they relented

Good question it seems some players get backed in for a lot longer than others.

Ellinbank league is ok they are all arguing about the structure but that will get sorted.

The leagues have changed that many times over the years i wouldnt know who played where now. I played for Drouin many moons ago when they were in the WGFL, which at the time was a notch above the EDFL.

Brown and Daw forward.

Petrie to defence and floating through the middle.

Mcmahon in for Mcdonald, dumont full game, atley sub.

I get so tired of having grand visions such as this never come to fruition.

Brad, I know you read this forum. If I don't get a reply, i'll assume you are going to implement the above things. Kthxbai

Midfield battle in this game is crucial.

Against Collingwood if isn't Pendlebury it'll be Swan or Sidebottom that cashes in against us like they usually do. Win the contested ball, pressure their mids when going inside 50 and hopefully we can gobble up the stuff they give to Cloke.

We lose midfield battle, we'll get slaughtered.

You tell me mate... Who are these passengers? Wood was defo one last week.
Bastinac. Atley. Mcdonald.

What could have happened is to drop mcdonald and wood on Thursday. Then leave Jacobs , Bastinac and reprieve wood to emergency after brown or Waite go out injured for daw.
In-daw swallow turner McMahon brown.
Out Jacobs mcdonald Waite(inj)wood Bastinac

This leaves atley one last chance. Bastinac is inconsistent with effort. Drop. McDonald is crying out for vfl. Waite is injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atley and LMac of course. You know, so why ask?

Dont bother responding with the ' LMac will be dropped this week i reckon' bullshit either because its about a month too late.

Is Jacobs a good footballer? Not in the back half. Is he improving? I think so, slowly but surely but needs a run in the guts, in his natural position(imo).

Atley and Luke have been ******* woeful this season. Whats better, a sideways kick for not much advantage or a shitful clanger straight down an oppositions throat for a turnover goal? I know what id prefer. In fact, one of Lukes handballs a couple of weeks ago threw BJ under the bus which resulted in a goal lol

The selections are always weak, as is the coach.

You'll have to fill me in on the statement being sent cause I'm drawing a blank here.

We have a bad loss, regardless of individual performances; Jacobs dropped (often a late in however). We win and everything is rosy. Rinse and repeat.
But doesn't winning the next week justify not dropping half the side?

We have only lost 2 games in a row once in a year and 8 games. Just because supporters panic after a loss does not mean the match selectors should.

And I'll be drinking beer to get through the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to stop drinking beer so I can get through a game: without smacking the walls, kicking the cat, yelling abuse at the TV, upsetting missus danj and talking to the goldfish at 3/4 time about BS's lack of a plan B :oops:

So BJ had 2 ineffective disposals against freo?

I was pretty boozed at the game but I remember cursing and shaking my head more than two times from BJ disposals.

He was horrendous and not AFL standard.
They don't count the kicks in as a stat - the ones he kicked straight to the opposition and then watched it sail over his head for a goal would have had your head shaking.

But now Jacobs is our saviour and we have doomed him to the VFL!! Wood was also going to turn the club around and now we have doomed him. It's time to re draft Ayden Kennedy - the true saviour!!

They don't count the kicks in as a stat - the ones he kicked straight to the opposition and then watched it sail over his head for a goal would have had your head shaking.

Why is BJ even taking kickouts? He has a trusty left peg over distance but absolutely no game sense or touch and is like a kangaroo in headlights. Surely Wright, spud and Nicky dal when back should be the locks for kick outs.

Hell, I'd prefer loogie kicking out than BJ.

Last edited:
It isn't a bad decision despite the furore on here. Yes, Benny has been going well down there but the majority of his possies are uncontested and a great deal of those are sideways and don't really provide any drive. One of the reasons we have struggled this year to date is due to a lack of decent launch from half back. This in turn is putting us under pressure when we do manage to get the ball into the midfield as we have no real space to work into. Then we turn it over, the ball goes into our defensive 50 and the cycle begins again.

What his exclusion will bring is more time in the defensive 50 for Shaun Atley who is capable of generating drive with his pace. He is not one to go sideways too often so this change reflects us trying to create a more dynamic defensive unit. It's tough on Jacobs but there was really no other option other than McDonald, but he too is more attacking than Jacobs. Roles wise the logical omission is Jacobs and my only question regarding this move is why it wasn't done earlier considering our attacking balance from defence has been out of whack for most of the season, which is something a stat sheet won't tell you.
But Tron, what's the point if he's only going to do it 10-15 times a match with half of those possessions being turnovers, and why is it that Jacobs has to be sacrificed to accommodate Atley because he's too rubbish to adapt to playing in a position where he was drafted to play and where a lot of football 'media' as well as fans believe he should be playing? It's also tenuous to say that McDonald is more attacking than Jacobs when he only gets it ~10 times a game with most of those kicks being bombs to contests or turnovers. I don't understand how the logical decision is to drop Jacobs, in fact the logical decision would be to drop those that are performing significantly worse than him.
I like to think that I'm quite measured when it comes to selections and in general I like that Scott backs the underperforming guys in, that's why I'm surprised to find myself agreeing with so many posters that I normally disagree with at this time of the week. But, for the life of me I can't understand why you would drop Jacobs before Atley and McDonald in the name of a 'defensive reshuffle.'

i cant believe we are now wanting and relying on scott mcmahon to play afl footy. how luke mcdonald can even hold his spot ill never know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back