Injury Rhys Stanley - news post-foot surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Times like this are exactly why we can't afford to carry injury prone list cloggers like Simpson, McIntosh, Vardy and (as much as I hate to say it) Menzel any longer if they can't get their bodies right sooner rather than later. We should have a lot of delistings this off season.

And when we're playing Walker in the ruck yet again you have to wonder why we didn't keep Trent West, who may have been very ordinary but at least was durable and a preferable option to playing a FF who can't ruck as the #1 ruck option :rolleyes:

Conveniently forgetting that West did his ACL and hasn't played at all this year…..

Would you guys trade for a Hickey or Longer?

I would! But then again I played basketball with Billy back in the day so I might be biased :p

Was somewhat upset we didn't chase him, would have fitted in nicely development wise within the club.

What players would the Saints be interested in from our list anyway?

VArdy had a hip injury, then did his knee…totally unrelated….also just "bad luck"…its been a slow recovery for the lad….
Menzel is not a ruck man
McIntosh was a calculated risk which didn't work out. Clearly was taken as a stop gap selection while others developed…
Simpson….yes…an unmitigated disaster due to injury ( and frankly, not a great performer to date anyway)

At the start of the season I thought we had too many talls….well got that wrong!! I guess we will be looking for more at season's end….

By now I just shake my head and laugh at our injury list. The last couple years have been astounding, really. So many talented youngsters cut down (possibly to never play again) and this year we seem to lose a player every game.

This is a horrid blow for Rhys who was starting to show really promising signs in tandem with Blicavs. Foot injuries always worry me, so hopefully he doesn't have any further complications with this. Last thing we need is ANOTHER talented youngster flaming out.

As for our ruck situation, it's simple. Simpson and McIntosh should and likely will be delisted at year's end. We absolutely need to fill one of those spots with a durable, decent ruckman. Those aren't easy to find and can come at a premium price but, as has been mentioned upthread, it's been four years. We absolutely need a ruckman we can rely on to get on the bloody park. Clark, Vardy, McIntosh and Vardy won't be it. Stanley may but we need insurance and it needs to come in the form of someone who can actually play - not another Orren Stephenson type.

It's almost at the point where we may need to seriously look at trading someone we'd rather not lose if it results in us bringing in a good, fit ruckman. Our midfield is young and not terribly strong - they have no chance if we keep sending them into a losing ruck/roving battle. Furthermore, it's bloody unfair on Walker (and counterproductive to his development) to keep playing him in a position he's not suited for. The guy shows some promise as a forward - playing him as ruck will serve as much purpose as it did when we did the same to Hawkins.

As for the rest of the year, what do we do? Maybe it's time to go with Bomber Thompson's suggestion from the game a few weeks back and throw Lonergan in the ruck! o_O

West was durable, just ordinary.

However...
Bourke. Handley. King. Mumford (was he injury-prone with us?). Ottens. Vardy. Simpson. HMac.
Forgot about west.
How many games did Macintosh play for us as well, struggling to remember

I think there's little doubt McIntosh is gone….Simpson doesn't look good enough to me…just doesn't do enough around the ground…more an honest trier…

Vardy won't play ruck I suspect…even though Brad Ottens suggested he would be a #1 ruck in the future. That was before his ACL though…

So we have Stanley ( in 2016 )…and Mitch Clark and Blicavs as last resort backup's along with Walker who will never make it as a ruck option…

We have Read and Lucey who apparently are nowhere near ready…

We will certainly be looking for a #1 ruck at season's end...….maybe Zac Smith…or one of Freo's big guys that can't get a game...

We need a second key forward more. Plus Clark ain't fit enough to ruck anymore.

Don't you think Clark fits the bill for a second key forward, Seeds?

Also, given Vardy recovers, I suspect he will be developed as a key forward prospect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 3 options really….

Full forward, CHF, or forward pocket in one side of the square with Hawkins on the other, and having speedy crumb gatherers feeding off the contest.

If its the latter, we may need a dedicated mobile CHF….

case closed your honour
moving on we have exhibit a,b,c,d
a. PD
b. SS
c. LH
D M
tumblr_nq55wdwnke1rqfml0o7_500.gif

Here you go,made you a present cos you're so speeeeeeeeeeeeecial

Manic-Gold-star.gif

You know how many injury prone players we have?
We even recruited more injury prone players to replace injured players.
How is Stanley injury prone ?
He played 19 games last year and 18 the year before.So 37 out 44.Dunno if any games he missed was because he was in the VFL,but still that's not injury prone.

And when we're playing Walker in the ruck yet again you have to wonder why we didn't keep Trent West, who may have been very ordinary but at least was durable
And who hasn't played football in a year because he did his knee.

He played 19 games last year and 18 the year before.So 37 out 44.Dunno if any games he missed was because he was in the VFL,but still that's not injury prone.
Exactly, other players that can be argued but Stanley had had an almost injury free 24 months before getting to us.

The DQ's have been running with this fallacy for weeks….now you come along and spoil the party.

Expect consequent abuse!

You stealing my points now Jester??? (see #303) :D:p

…..or don't you read my posts :mad::mad::(
get in line DtC I've been making the point about Stanley not being injury prone for days now. :D

I was disappointed we didn't go for Longer when you guys got him. I've got no doubt we will be shopping in October.
******* hope not. Amazing how two events (Simpson's back injury and Ottens retirement) have steadily compounded. Use a late pick on some 200cm behemoth, and then use the currency we've saved on building up some depth in midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back