The future of the ABC - Guthrie sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

By Abbotts "cronies" I assume you are referring to the majority of Australians who chose the Liberal party to run Australia, who support the Australian Governments efforts in the national security space? The many who's voice is seldom heard on the unrepresentative, unbalanced national broadcaster and increasingly....."here"?

No, I am referring to his efforts this sitting to play the blame game with the ALP and the ABC by trying to paint them as 'traitors'.

He is intentionally using a fear campaign to rattle the community, before draping himself with Australian flags, and then invoking 'national security' to usher in a raft of draconian laws, many of which purport to circumvent the courts in an effort to strip people of basic civil liberties (surveillance, censorship, and even the stripping of citizenship).

He's doing it in such a way that he gets to label the ALP as 'rolling out the red carpet for terrorists' despite them supporting most of what he's actually proposing (in principle) - their 'big crime' has apparently been asking to actually see the proposed legislation before they make any other comment (which of course Abbott is withholding from them - just to make them look bad).

How dare our elected representatives have the nerve to ask to see the legislation that they're being called on to support eh?

The ALP has come to this sitting actively trying to work with him to pass laws - including most budget measures - and he's gone back to his divisive populist partisan ways. The ******* doesn't care one iota about running the nation, he simply cares about staying in power.

And you're eating this s**t up.

Many more innocent people will be impacted otherwise when 150 ISIS fighters return to Australia. In enacting legislation at least a minister will be held to account if he gets things wrong, there would be a right to appeal - beaurocratic institutions make decisions that effect peoples lives all the time.

I dont think anyone disagrees with the concern over these nutters. Any decision has to be done on a case by case basis. Otherwise its just too easy for the pollies to make a big song & dance about it without having to justify such a strong action.

Also how do we hold ministers to account? Wait 3 years? After the fact? How about with someone like Eric Abetz? He snakes his way to the number one spot on the Liberal Senate ticket? Practically Impossible to get him out.

I dont think anyone disagrees with the concern over these nutters. Any decision has to be done on a case by case basis. Otherwise its just too easy for the pollies to make a big song & dance about it without having to justify such a strong action.

Also how do we hold ministers to account? Wait 3 years? After the fact? How about with someone like Eric Abetz? He snakes his way to the number one spot on the Liberal Senate ticket? Practically Impossible to get him out.

Remember Kevin Andrews locked up that Indian doctor at end of Howard government, he was held accountable by the tax payer paying him off in an undisclosed settlement, reported in the millions,& now he is on the front bench again.

They have already left Australia they are just having their return blocked. Whats wrong with that?

What about the ones already here who are contemplating leaving, but haven't left yet? They wont leave now will they, or else they lose their citizenship?

Consider the deterrent effect. This law wont deter radicalisation - it will just deter radicalised young men from leaving the country.

Think about this for a bit. Abbott just ensured people committed to blow s**t up, will now remain here in Australia.

Go team Australia.

And you're eating this s**t up.
That's the scary bit, people are so incapable of critical thought that they can't see what this government is up to.

That's the scary bit, people are so incapable of critical thought that they can't see what this government is up to.

Actually Its worse than that with Xsess

He's neither apathetic or stupid. He's smart enough to know exactly what they're up to, but just biased enough to not care.

He even mimics their tactics and techniques on here. Parroting populist, emotive and frequently untruthful assertions.

He doesn't want brown people coming in as refugees because 'deaths at sea'.
He doesn't want brown people coming here legally because 'environmental concerns'
He doesn't want brown people returning from Syria because 'national security'
He doesn't want brown people on the ABC because 'they incite people to terrorism'

A pattern is forming no?

The hundreds of "Australian" dual citizens fighting with ISIS are a threat to national security and the government has come up with the only mechanism possible to do so. Strip the bastards of their citizenship. Which sounds like a bloody good idea to me. The legal industry need not poke their noses in either, they had no say when the immigration department rubber stamped them in the first place, none of their business if they have that privilage revoked. The only people crying tyranny are those with something to hide. Dickwads like little Zaky and his mates

You would be the first person to complain if a Minister of the Crown was determining the rights of small or big business. That would be the soft fascism of administrative power - but empowering a Minister to determine a status that confers all the other rights enjoyed by Australian citizens - that is somehow OK. Its not ******* consistent

I thought conservatives believed in institutions like the law. It's one of their ideological foundations.

This is what I thought when Hicks was scapegoated and left to rot. The Poms brought the English Citizens home from Gitmo in six weeks because they were not satisfied the military comissions would accord the English citizens the rights they expect under the law - and that was at the height of the Coalition of the Willing and "Yo Blair"

Many more innocent people will be impacted otherwise when 150 ISIS fighters return to Australia. In enacting legislation at least a minister will be held to account if he gets things wrong, there would be a right to appeal - bureaucratic institutions make decisions that effect peoples lives all the time.

Ministers have got great track record in determing these things look at the resident genius Kevin Andrews and Habib - how elegantly he handled it. Peter Dutton is even more of a bottom dwelling filter feeder than Catholic Kev

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretending that the ABC is never biased is silly.

But such a thing does not generally prevent it from, overall, being a worthy organisation of our dollars to provide us with programmes of the kind of quality and type we simply could not get from commercial television.

The irony is Nick Cater and Bolt would almost exclusively watch ABC - you don't get much Opera, Shakespeare or BBC history docos on Channel 10

That is far more important than this Q&A crap.

Well ring & tell the PM that. he's the one who has gone off the deep end with 'heads should roll' over this. HE alone has shoved it right up their with Monis & the Sydney Hilton bombing of 1978.

I mean why not just admit that Abort is trying to manufacture fear & division for nothing other than base political reasons.

Howard handled the comments on Q&A over Hicks with measured common sense.

Abort though is simply playing nasty politics, with potentially nasty consequences. Its just not good, nor necessary.

Actually Its worse than that with Xsess

He's neither apathetic or stupid. He's smart enough to know exactly what they're up to, but just biased enough to not care.

He even mimics their tactics and techniques on here. Parroting populist, emotive and frequently untruthful assertions.

He doesn't want brown people coming in as refugees because 'deaths at sea'.
He doesn't want brown people coming here legally because 'environmental concerns'
He doesn't want brown people returning from Syria because 'national security'
He doesn't want brown people on the ABC because 'they incite people to terrorism'

A pattern is forming no?

You accuse me of misrepresentation.. then pass that steaming turd off as truth?

pope%2B1.jpg

I mean why not just admit that Abort is trying to manufacture fear & division for nothing other than base political reasons.

His agenda is obvious and disgusting but who can blame him ? It works and will probably get him reelected.

The real worry for me is the complicity from the opposition. They have provided no resistance to all the crazy ass BS legislation that has been rushed through. Why is that ? Where is this all going ?

Its hard not to get conspiratorial about it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back