Positives and negatives vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Hoped that JJk could've increased his lead on the goalkicking tally more, I knew that Darling's return would mean less goals with there being an additional target, but should've had 3-4.

Last edited:
Positive:
  • McGovern equaled the goal tally of Melbourne's most dangerous goalkicker in Hogan
  • Shepp and Wellingham read the play so well and are beating bigger opponents
  • Sheed is all class
  • As a Priddis hater, he has been so much better this year so strong in the clinches
  • Darling is flipping amazing :cool:
  • Forward pressure and "Weagles web" synchronising well together
  • coming away from NT with Darwin
Negatives:
  • Scooter not up to it
  • Lecca had an off night

Selwood a shocker when he came on in the 3rd, thought he made up for it in the 4th but only just.

Positives:
+ Good win under pretty horrible circumstances. Could hear in Sheps shaky voice during the post match interview that it's been an emotional last couple of days.
+ Wellingham & Sheppard not just for this match but their whole year has been excellent.
+ Sheeds Disposal by hand & foot plus a classy goal. Should be this rounds Rising Star nomination.
+ Sheeds hands to Duggan, Duggans kick to Kennedy, Kennedys hand pass back to Duggan, Duggans kick to Darling was a thing of beauty.
+ Future of the midfield looks bright
+ Darlings 5 goals, almost started to forget how great the King is.

Negatives
- Scooter
- Listening to that commentary team all night especially Deromott Brereton. He just couldn't wrap his head around how our defence works. Every time he urged a Melbourne player to kick to a one on one inside their forward 50 where a Dees player had a clear height advantage on a Sheppard or Wellingham etc... only then for one of our defenders to come in and intercept the ball.
- Going to be an extremely emotional game next week.

It wasn't the classiest win, but in those conditions (on field and off), a very very solid win.

Also, I think, one that's quite indicative of what we're doing. A lot of teams have generally stuck with us for two or three quarters and then we've been able to pull away. We're grinding teams down - the victories against Bombers, Cats, and even Tigers reflect that somewhat.

Positive
In Simpson's interview - he went on record to say that Scooter had been off and it was a drop to sub for poor performance
The boys looked emotionally down at times yet we managed to win and win comfortably
King Jack's 5 goal
Defensive structures stood up again and the web will need more than On The Couch coverage to break apart (reckon most clubs knew what we were doing)
The Yeo/Shuey handball interchange that led to a JD goal
The Duggan double effort laces out that led to a JD goal
McGovern in the forward line Q4
Sheppard Butler and Wellers playing like the 3 musketeers down back
Priddis continues to play to his strengths (6 kicks, 16 handballs, 11 tackles)
Sheed - gotta be in with a really good chance of a rising star (leading Fantasy Points with only 2 matches to be played)
upload_2015-7-5_5-51-53.png

Negative
Back to wide in the forward pockets especially LeCras - accuracy impacted
Travel and the week ahead in preparation
Simpson himself looked drained in the interview

Last edited:
Best game I've seen from Dom. Was a machine at the stoppage and didn't seem to blast away.

Kicking of Gaff and Masten is superb, as is their relentless attack. Gaff in the first was bog and Masten seemed to lift in the second.

Shep and Wellingham are a deadly combo, they crunch packs, tackle hard, kick low and far and both have amazing speed. They're two of my favourites to watch.

Cripps was huge in impact, haven't seen the stats but everything he did turned to gold. Tackles as strong as Priddis. Soeaking of which, all the boys need to take lessons from Priddis in tackling.

Shuey can beat a tag now, like Cripps he was very influential with ball in hand, he's got a solid body and does the team things.

As bad as Lecras was he looks fitter than ever, he definitely didn't lack effort from what I saw but his golden touch was nowhere to be seen.

Kennedy's goal kicking has been a touch off lately, normally I'd feel confident when he's takung those shots but I didn't.

I think a lot of our players overcooked some basic kicks at times.

Duggan was very quiet.

...Has me thinking we put everyone on a one year contract from now on so that they have to earn a renewal. Well everyone except for Yeo, Nic Nat, Kennedy, Shuey, gaff, McGovern ... I'll keep thinking about this one, I am sure there are flaws to the strategy.
The players refuse to sign and due to not being shown any faith by the club request a trade elsewhere?...

I thought Duggan was great. A lot of other players had their stats padded by dinky handballs and back and forth chip kicks (esp. in Q4). Duggan had a low disposal count, but his contribution with ball in hand was exceptional and clean - great passes and a really good smother. Young kids do struggle to find the ball, but I don't think going back to WAFL level will help him improve his game too much, as he is already AFL standard and just needs to keep getting match experience; Sheed had similar stats last year - Duggan's a maybe little better in direct comparison I'd say, but he also has had slightly more time on ground at 57.4% vs. Sheed's 53.4%. Also, he rested last week so I am sure he doesn't need a week off for his body. Wouldn't mind him being sub though.

Other positives:

Sheed brilliant - he is coming along nicely, and is just such a good decision maker.
Gaff his usual reliable self - has been off the chain a lot this year, not sure if they have stopped tagging him.
Shuey - a great kick, and off his non-preffered foot to JD was clean.
Shep + Wellers - both in great form down back, Wellingham especially looks to have found his calling.
Darling - beast mode.
Bullet passes in to the 50!

Negatives:

The older players were quiet and looked really down-trodden. Kennedy, Le Cras, Priddis and Hurn especially looked miserable and didn't smile much - assuming they were the ones more heavily affected by Walsh's passing, affecting their game. I hope they can bounce back soon as they get past the shock.

Yeo was pretty quiet - didn't do anything bad, but wasn't dominating as he can do.
Sinkers could have had more impact - good mark and goal though.

Alex Neal-Bullen's facial expressions - was I the only one? Could not un-see this once I had seen it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Duggan was great. A lot of other players had their stats padded by dinky handballs and back and forth chip kicks (esp. in Q4). Duggan had a low disposal count, but his contribution with ball in hand was exceptional and clean - great passes and a really good smother. Young kids do struggle to find the ball, but I don't think going back to WAFL level will help him improve his game too much, as he is already AFL standard and just needs to keep getting match experience; Sheed had similar stats last year - Duggan's a maybe little better in direct comparison I'd say, but he also has had slightly more time on ground at 57.4% vs. Sheed's 53.4%. Also, he rested last week so I am sure he doesn't need a week off for his body. Wouldn't mind him being sub though.

Other positives:

Sheed brilliant - he is coming along nicely, and is just such a good decision maker.
Gaff his usual reliable self - has been off the chain a lot this year, not sure if they have stopped tagging him.
Shuey - a great kick, and off his non-preffered foot to JD was clean.
Shep + Wellers - both in great form down back, Wellingham especially looks to have found his calling.
Darling - beast mode.
Bullet passes in to the 50!

Negatives:

The older players were quiet and looked really down-trodden. Kennedy, Le Cras, Priddis and Hurn especially looked miserable and didn't smile much - assuming they were the ones more heavily affected by Walsh's passing, affecting their game. I hope they can bounce back soon as they get past the shock.

Yeo was pretty quiet - didn't do anything bad, but wasn't dominating as he can do.
Sinkers could have had more impact - good mark and goal though.

Alex Neal-Bullen's facial expressions - was I the only one? Could not un-see this once I had seen it.

Sinkers over the back tap to Nik Nat was a thing of beauty ... pity Nik couldn't kick the goal.

Pretty good all around to be honest. Even when we were only 2-3 goals up for most of the game we looked classy and clean with the disposals and our kicking efficiency must have been pretty high. When we did turn it over, we got burned on the rebound which has been happening all season long but I can concede that.

The only noticeable negative would be Lecras? Missing targets, dropping marks and wasnt clean in general which is one of his trademark qualities. Hopefully it was a one-off.

Well he can't blame the dewy conditions. Last night was almost perfect for football, another 3 degrees cooler it would have been. Both teams held their marks and had no trouble with the well covered / discussed 'slippery conditions'.

It's why all games in Darwin should be played in July not June or late August. 18 degrees this morning and not a cloud in the sky.:thumbsu:

Selwood will be lucky to keep the green vest. Worrying signs if we want to offload him. I want him to turn it around but a 6+ year mid should not be a starting sub.
There's a lot of things Selwood does that a 6+yr mid shouldn't be doing. I've always held high hopes for him but he just doesn't have the skills required imo. The rest of our squad looks to have improved in the skills dept considerably but Selwood seems to have that ability to undo everyone else's hard work in a single possession. Maybe he'll improve with more time considering his injury woes since Simpson has taken over but my confidence in him has gone down the gurgler.

Positive

We won in trying circumstances, which hopefully shows we are starting to become a team that puts in the hard yards to get the job done.
Sheed was awesome, Wellers, Shep and of course Darling.
Duggans use of the footy is all class.

Negative.

We should of had that game wrapped up by half time with all the missed shots at goal.
Scooter is terrible all round, but was actually able to hit two targets by hand last night, so if he's in the team he should stick to handball. I don't think he should be in the team though.

Umm wtf am I reading this right??

"Melbourne had drawn within 12 points midway through the third quarter and messed up some chances (or was unfortunate not to draw a free kick at times inside 50 in the third quarter depending on your outlook) that would have enabled it to really challenge the Eagles."

From article on afl website

There's a lot of things Selwood does that a 6+yr mid shouldn't be doing. I've always held high hopes for him but he just doesn't have the skills required imo. The rest of our squad looks to have improved in the skills dept considerably but Selwood seems to have that ability to undo everyone else's hard work in a single possession. Maybe he'll improve with more time considering his injury woes since Simpson has taken over but my confidence in him has gone down the gurgler.

I have no doubt he'll improve as the others have. He's missed out on all the great work that's been put into Masten, Sheppard, Wellingham etc and the group as a whole. What I don't understand is why he's being given the opportunity to improve in the AFL instead of the WAFL.

Hoped that JJk could've increased his lead on the goalkicking tally more, I knew that Darling's return would mean less goals with there being an additional target, but should've had 3-4.

Tip

It doesn't matter ...individual awards mean stuff all ...

Team first ....kenenedys goal kicking was always got going to plateau a bit when darling came back ...last night he played true centre half forward while darling was the full forward

This is good idea while darling still finds full match match fitness

Umm wtf am I reading this right??

"Melbourne had drawn within 12 points midway through the third quarter and messed up some chances (or was unfortunate not to draw a free kick at times inside 50 in the third quarter depending on your outlook) that would have enabled it to really challenge the Eagles."

From article on afl website

Yes and if we had kicked straight we would have won by 75 points .......lol

We will need him I think come finals time when the intensity lifts .....plus if he gets game fit and we have Duggan and rosa in same place ....as in match fit then we have choices ...

We need to trust the match committee and coaching staff ...we are 9-3 ...I think they know what they are doing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back