The umpires have jumped the shark

Remove this Banner Ad

What I still can't believe seeing is Clancee Pearce giving away a 50m penalty tonight for not getting back to the mark fast enough after having his shoulder dislocated. Trying to signal he was hurt, ump didn't want a bar of it.

Absolutely disgusting "adjudication".

What I still can't believe seeing is Clancee Pearce giving away a 50m penalty tonight for not getting back to the mark fast enough after having his shoulder dislocated. Trying to signal he was hurt, ump didn't want a bar of it.

Absolutely disgusting "adjudication".

Agree, it was disgraceful!

The Tigers/Freo game was the worst officiated piece of crap I've ever seen (for both teams, so it's not why we lost)

If soccer refs gave 5 penalties a match it would be high scoring as well.

Not sure why the AFL thought they'd do the equivalent.

Memo to Gill and Mark Evans. Show some ticker and tell the media where to stick their 'the game is broken' trash and then get the umps to just call the rules as they stand and no different week to week.

The game is going to die a slow and ugly death if we aren't careful.. The way it's being played, officiated and administered is at an all time low and people are starting to show it with poor crowd numbers.

This weekend has been the worst standard of umpiring I've ever seen, poor Mckernan out muscles the Port spud and wins a brilliant tap out and gets whistled against for blocking. That sling tackle? Give me a break...

Gil has gotten off to the worst possible start, I'd love to see him call a referendum and give the power to the fans on all AFL issues. The guy really is a toss pot.

If soccer refs gave 5 penalties a match it would be high scoring as well.

Not sure why the AFL thought they'd do the equivalent.

Memo to Gill and Mark Evans. Show some ticker and tell the media where to stick their 'the game is broken' trash and then get the umps to just call the rules as they stand and no different week to week.

If they umpired to the rules there would be 100 free kicks a game.
The umps have made some mistakes this weekend but clearly paying free's for infringing the rules opens up the game.
They can't really win, one week everyone complains about stoppages, they try to address it and they are still wrong.
What they are trying to do now is what it should always be, pay the free kicks for infringement to the rules. Make the coaches and players adjust to playing to the rules.

If the standard set tonight in the Freo/Tiges game is the future, then I know of a dozen people who will give the game away.

Sick and tired of the blatant meddling of the rules, only in the AFL. :thumbsdown:

I think we are the only sport in the world were officiating has gotten worst after going professional.. But have you seen these guys? They wouldn't be out of place on the set of The Big Bang Theory.

Was at the Hawks game and it was baffling. Watched the Tigers game, same deal.

If they're there, pay em. If not don't manufacture it just for the sake of clearing congestion.

lol, can you imagine the EPL having a weekly meetings to let referees know to crack down on certain frees every week. Officiating of AFL is more than baffling its amateur.

I think we are the only sport in the world were officiating has gotten worst after going professional.. But have you seen these guys? They wouldn't be out of place on the set of The Big Bang Theory.

The AFL have made it hard for them though, as soon as you have rules that have interpretation as part of the rule it becomes cloudy. Rules were once black and white. In fact the rules were very simple and basic once.
No head high contact
No tripping
Push in the back
Holding the man
Holding the ball
Incorrect disposal
15m kicking rule
Play on to advantage from behind the mark.

That was basically it, they still made mistakes but the rules were simple and not grey as they are now.
All those rules still exist except now they have a list of 20 lines underneath them of what ifs.
That is where the afl went wrong.

Look at something like the hands in back rule, it is a stupid rule that was never needed. The umpire decides if a player has been pushed or not and this worked fine. So they change it to this silly hands in back rule and even without pushing its a free.
Make it simple as it once was for the umpires.

If they want to pay some more frees to keep the game moving, how about ACTUALLY PAYING REAL HOLDING THE BALL FREES. The only time that you DON'T get a htb free now is when there is prior opp followed by a good tackle leading to the ball being thrown or dropped. They have basically taken the rule and reversed it completely. Insane. Get rid of the "jarred loose in the tackle" crap and actually reward the tackler ffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they umpired to the rules there would be 100 free kicks a game.
The umps have made some mistakes this weekend but clearly paying free's for infringing the rules opens up the game.
They can't really win, one week everyone complains about stoppages, they try to address it and they are still wrong.
What they are trying to do now is what it should always be, pay the free kicks for infringement to the rules. Make the coaches and players adjust to playing to the rules.
I disagree. The simple approach should be to pay frees only on the following conditions:

1. A rule was clearly beached.

2. The breach had the potential to adversely affect the infringed player's team.

So light touch on the shoulder, for example, satisfies 1 but not 2. Play on.

I disagree. The simple approach should be to pay frees only on the following conditions:

1. A rule was clearly beached.

2. The breach had the potential to adversely affect the infringed player's team.

So light touch on the shoulder, for example, satisfies 1 but not 2. Play on.

But that's the problem. By paying or not paying 2 and the inconsistency of it leads to the issues. By paying them to the letter of the law don't you think the coaches will be pretty quick to direct their players of what they can or can't do. They would address it real quickly I reckon.
You simply can't have rules that one umpire thinks is a free kick and another umpire thinks it isn't. That is why we are where we are now. We were not there 25 years ago. The rules were pretty black and white.

'dangerous tackle' is an absolute embarrassment for the umpires. whoever's come up with that directive obviously isn't a football fan. getting pinged for a perfectly good tackle in the wingard case due to what potentially 'might' happen? he got up perfectly fine and continued on with the game. incredibly strange.

the rucking ones were just pure guesswork. the excuse they gave lingy sounded like they had no idea either. genuinely had no idea what wa going on, as did basically everyone else involved. just a strange round of umpiring and now we have 3 more games of it to enjoy.

Would be an absolute nightmare of a sport to umpire. I don't envy them one bit.
But it's so inconsistent. One decision can be paid one minute and then the exact same thing can happen 30 seconds later and you can get a totally different decision.
1st point is so spot on. Bad timing to applaud FIFA in know but the one thing they've nailed is their staunch position on rules of the game and absolutely refuse to bring/change any new rule that can be subjective. It's painful to watch a player being just tapped on the ankle from behind and getting a free but the rule is just strict. No tackle on a player from behind. At least you know the actual rule, afl bring in rules with guidelines and it's a mess. I've posted on a thread about ducking and go ne through and linked all the previous rule changed that have brought us to this rule which is like judging a ball room dance comp, purely based on the individual umpire.

I need someone to load up the free kick Tarrant gave away in our game 10 metres out from goal..... i dont even know what that was......
Possibly the worst free kick in history. Lions player (forget who just now) with the ball tucked it under his arm, tried to break the tackle. Tarrant wrapped him up around the body - definitely not high, definitely not too low. Player made no attempt to dispose, was wrapped up and thrown to the ground................and got the free. ???????????????????????????????????

I might be in the minority, but this was just what the AFL needed! We have had five teams pass 100 points out of 12. Unheard of in recent weeks.

Crazy, ya pay frees, ya open the game up, we get scoring. HOORAY!

Kudos to the umpiring department for making the hard choice and being the necessary evil. Great to see open games of footy and some scoring.

Now coaches. Over to you! Embrace attack!

'dangerous tackle' is an absolute embarrassment for the umpires. whoever's come up with that directive obviously isn't a football fan. getting pinged for a perfectly good tackle in the wingard case due to what potentially 'might' happen? he got up perfectly fine and continued on with the game. incredibly strange.

the rucking ones were just pure guesswork. the excuse they gave lingy sounded like they had no idea either. genuinely had no idea what wa going on, as did basically everyone else involved. just a strange round of umpiring and now we have 3 more games of it to enjoy.
Dangerous sling tackle. Can't have players suspended for 2 weeks when the guy doesn't get up but not even a free kick when the guy is fine.

Don't lift and swing a guy and land him on his head. It's not that hard.

I might be in the minority, but this was just what the AFL needed! We have had five teams pass 100 points out of 12. Unheard of in recent weeks.

Crazy, ya pay frees, ya open the game up, we get scoring. HOORAY!

Kudos to the umpiring department for making the hard choice and being the necessary evil. Great to see open games of footy and some scoring.

Now coaches. Over to you! Embrace attack!
5 teams:
Hawthorn - well derr
Port and Adel - love open games, have weak backlines
Gold Coast - have 2 gun key forwards, played Adel without their 1 good mature key defender
Ess - played Port

The game of the round so far had both teams score around 80 and it would've been less if not for some soft frees and 50m penalties. The game would've been the same with both teams on 60.

Ess v Port and Adel v Gold Coast were high scoring but not particularly good contests. I don't see the fascination with the score being 100 v 100 compared to 70 v 70

Remove this Banner Ad

Back