Toovey needs to be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

that's just your personal opinion. he is about cooked and should be dropped based on form like other players do and play seconds next year ;)

And your opinion is more correct because....

Is there any news on Ramsy? Kid started well earlier in the season before injury

Had surgery, likely out for the remainder of the season.

will he play another 50 games ? how many games you think he has left to play in best 22 turning 29, lost a yard and skills are outdated to where the game has headed now? skills wont improve and our kids will go past him as it's the circle of life ;)

Old adage, 1 week at a time and I'm confident his magnet will be on the board come selection for the Doggies game. If pushed, I'd think he'd have at least 7 games left this year. No one can predict with any confidence beyond that. Yes, he will be overtaken eventually, all players are, but the onus is actually on the kids to surpass him or are you just advocating gifting kids that aren't yet ready games?

You know, I hear the whole "midfield getting killed" thing a lot when the backline suffers and I understand the theory to an extent. But the ball coming in a lot shouldn't change the fact that a defender should wear his man like a glove. It's a concentration thing in the end. I play defense in soccer and consider myself a well above average defender. I get pretty hard on myself if something gets through me and I find that 9/10 times on the odd occasion something does get past me it's because I had a momentary lapse in concentration.

This includes game when we're beaten badly. Even in those games, it's definitely not my man that does the damage. Which kinda brings me to my point. In all those games we lost, yeah, the midfield got murdered. But why didn't Nathan Brown's man get off the chain? Or Marley's? They were playing in the same defense Toovey was weren't they? What were they doing different to Toovey that prevented their men from kicking so many goals?

I'm not saying Toovey has always been a terrible defender. Quite the opposite, I've always said the ONE thing he is actually good at is stopping his man. But his disposal has always been terrible. Fact is, over the last month, he hasn't been good at the ONE thing he's traditionally been good at. Which is fine, players get older and generally get less effective as they do, but if football sides were REALLY being picked on a horses for courses basis, Toovey should by all rights have been dropped by now to try someone else.

If the ball is coming in fast (ie the other teams midfield and half backs are killing us and getting it in quickly) then that puts pressure on the backline. Opportune goalkickers like wingard, rioli and walters will kick more goals in these situations. Simple footy concept.

Toovey is an experienced backmen who if you've watched his overall game has done pretty well. You need experienced players who can help direct younger players. We've lost Maxwell and Reid from that backline in the past 2 years. We need Tooves and I think he'll be in the best 22 for several more seasons.

If the ball is coming in fast (ie the other teams midfield and half backs are killing us and getting it in quickly) then that puts pressure on the backline. Opportune goalkickers like wingard, rioli and walters will kick more goals in these situations. Simple footy concept.

Toovey is an experienced backmen who if you've watched his overall game has done pretty well. You need experienced players who can help direct younger players. We've lost Maxwell and Reid from that backline in the past 2 years. We need Tooves and I think he'll be in the best 22 for several more seasons.

Would be pretty disappointing if someone with disposal as poor as Toovey nearing 30 can't be replaced within 12 months. Serious questions would need to be asked about our recruiting and development in my opinion.

Would be pretty disappointing if someone with disposal as poor as Toovey nearing 30 can't be replaced within 12 months. Serious questions would need to be asked about our recruiting and development in my opinion.
I tend to agree but his experience is the hardest thing to replace in our backline. I am a Tooves fan but he is starting to wear thin with me.

Toovey reminds me of the movie the Matrix we are to believe he is this great player but its just not real our mind is being controlled by another force Nathan Buckley and the Collingwood football club

Plot Summary below

Morpheus awakens Neo to the real world, a ravaged wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by a race of machines that live off of the humans' body heat and electrochemical energy and who imprison their minds within an artificial reality known as the Matrix.
So you Are Saying that Toovey is only good at playing in a ******* Wasteland because he is ******* useless except For His body heat and energy and that our minds are Being Controlled by Bucks??? :mad:

So you Are Saying that Toovey is only good at playing in a ******* Wasteland because he is ******* useless except For His body heat and energy and that our minds are Being Controlled by Bucks??? :mad:

That is correct

Wingard kicked 3.3. Those 3 behinds were set shots he'd normally never miss. So he was lucky not to have 6 kicked on him after 5 from Rioli the week before, and 4 from Walters the week before that.

Those are the facts. The rest of your post is your opinion and YOUR observation. Which conveniently fails to address Toovey's deplorable disposal which has also cost us numerous goals in the last month. A month where we lost 3 game by less than 2 goals.

But you keep living in your nostalgia driven fantasy land where all the "good hard working blue collar footballers" of Collingwood's bygone era should just keep on playing until they're on their death bed as opposed to using this time when we're realistically out of finals/premiership contention to get games into the NEXT set of premiership players.

Good luck with that.
This was brilliant reading, very aptly put my friend

Wingard kicked 3.3. Those 3 behinds were set shots he'd normally never miss. So he was lucky not to have 6 kicked on him after 5 from Rioli the week before, and 4 from Walters the week before that.

Those are the facts. The rest of your post is your opinion and YOUR observation. Which conveniently fails to address Toovey's deplorable disposal which has also cost us numerous goals in the last month. A month where we lost 3 game by less than 2 goals.

But you keep living in your nostalgia driven fantasy land where all the "good hard working blue collar footballers" of Collingwood's bygone era should just keep on playing until they're on their death bed as opposed to using this time when we're realistically out of finals/premiership contention to get games into the NEXT set of premiership players.

Good luck with that.

Welcome to the Matrix

What's ignorant about it?
Nail, hit, head.

I love Toovey for the service he's given us but sometimes you have to go with what your brain says..... Marsh, Shaz, Maynard... These guys are our future. The same goes for Goldy.
You're right they are our future, if any one of them can push out Possum or Moneyballs.
If not they are just grist for the mill like so many other "gun"recruits I have heard tell about on the Collingwood board.
These guys have win a spot from two blokes with runs on the board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I say my opinion is more correct? no I didn't ;) bigfooty is for oppions yeh? ;)

No wuckers, written word can sometimes derive unintended interpretations. Just thought it was curious that you appeared dismissive of Scribe26's opinion because it didn't accord with yours.

No wuckers, written word can sometimes derive unintended interpretations. Just thought it was curious that you appeared dismissive of Scribe26's opinion because it didn't accord with yours.
Keep calm and go Collingwood :)

If Tooves Could Turn Back Time;)

a light hearted joke

This whole thing doesn't boil down to his direct opponent's output, because surely, anyone with a working brain would look back at Toovey's record and see that he is our most consistent, reliable defender when it comes to quietening dangerous forwards.
He's also the most consistent and reliable at giving the ball back to the opposition. And that's saying something when Frost and Brown are in the backline.

What a stupid comment, Much like most of your posts.

If you don't like Dave's posts so much, then ignore him.

He might make a few ott posts, but he's one of most passionate Collingwood supporters on the board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back