Opinion Our coaches, leadership, game style, and everything else

Remove this Banner Ad

The game plan is broken, after a season & three quarters they still haven't managed to combine Franklin, Tippet, Goodes, Reid, Heeney, Rohan (when fit), McGlynn (when fit), Parker, into even a functioning forward line. That is an indictment on the whole coaching staff. The players haven't got worse but the coaching of the other teams has moved on. We are done until new strategy emerges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The game-plan is shitful. Ball movement is gutless, absolutely gutless. Yeah whatever, our players are hard at it, they're courageous, throw their bodies into dangerous situations but one moment sums up everything Parker goes back takes a courageous mark gets up there's 3 1 on 1's forward..yet doesn't look, looks backwards and sideways 2 or 3 times before he even looks forward. Bombs away, Eagles have had plenty of time to set up and Sheppard of all people takes the intercept mark.
Our players are too frightened to take a risk turning the ball over going forward, so they'd rather do shitty chip, chip, chip sidesways kicks to nothing turn it over with horrible skills. Congest stoppages and play virtually without a forward line, teams know how to counter that pretty easy. Who wants to watch that crap anyway, it's infuriating..boring and doesn't win games it football..the games involved passed that. It's no surprise the brief periods they've actually attacked the game in the last 2 weeks they've strung some goals together.
We've tried to buy the best player in the comp for some marketability, how about playing a decent brand of football...that might bring fans through the gates.

Dew can piss off, hope someone takes him as they're senior coach...besides the ruck situation our midfield set-up is just wrong the amount of time we can barely scrum it forward and the opposition can waltz out because they've got players behind the stoppage is laughable.
Skills are unacceptable, they're getting worse...our foot-skills weren't this bad in 2012 with mostly the same core of players..whoever is primarily responsible for that area can go aswell.
Horse has done enough to stay on, but he needs to be tapped on the shoulder and told to change the game-plan, it's not good for 'marketabilty' and not very good for winning football games against decent sides either. We look ok when we attack, so make them attack stop neutering players with this game style.

McVeigh 16 possessions, Jack 15 possessions...Kennedy 31, all in the leadership group. Pretty obvious to me which one should be captain. Like I said earlier McVeigh and Jack have had their moments as captains and are probably great communicators..they can stay in the leadership group and still be great communicators. We need someone who can lead by example on the field through actions every week.

If I see another player dish off to Jetta in a worse position I am going to lose it. Take some responsibility!!! Be prepared to attack. FFS

Horse is obviously out of ideasand I rekon he has lost the players. not sure who you would bring in. Not Dew. Oh, and playfair needs to go too.

Would love someone to explain why there always seems to be a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 in our forward line. I understand it's more complex than saying "just play man on man" but surely it can't be that hard. Time after time our forwards are outnumbered and no wonder why our inside 50 ball use is awful... Hard to spot up a target. I understand our defence might be a bit weak so a spare is handy but surely our forwaard line is one of, if not the best in the comp and deserve 1 on 1 contests. Would love to know why we always seem outnumber and why Horse doesn't seem to do anything about it.

Would love someone to explain why there always seems to be a 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 in our forward line. I understand it's more complex than saying "just play man on man" but surely it can't be that hard. Time after time our forwards are outnumbered and no wonder why our inside 50 ball use is awful... Hard to spot up a target. I understand our defence might be a bit weak so a spare is handy but surely our forwaard line is one of, if not the best in the comp and deserve 1 on 1 contests. Would love to know why we always seem outnumber and why Horse doesn't seem to do anything about it.

The game plan is bullsh!t. Utter bullsh!t.

I would've thought a forward line of: Goodes, Franklin, Tippett, Heeney, Parker, Rohan and whoever else would have a coach licking his lips wanting them all 1 on 1

The only people that don't know what to do with a forward line consisting of those players are on our coaching panel.

Zone gameplan vs ultra conservative and defensive play 1-3 players behind the ball swans style gameplan (3 players behind the ball means 3 less targets up forward and swans forwards outnumbered.

Zone gameplan vs ultra conservative and defensive play 1-3 players behind the ball swans style gameplan (3 players behind the ball means 3 less targets up forward and swans forwards outnumbered.
Why would we want that though? Should back our defenders, forwards and our midfielders two way running I would've thought

Our strength in our forwardline means 1 on 1 greatly benefits us.
Our midfields two way running ability means 1 on 1 would benefit us.

The only weakness would be defence- but even than Nick Smith/Grundy/Richards and even Rampe today aren't awful one on one, just awful at kicking through a zone/press.

If I see us next match against top 4 opposition go man on man all over the ground I'd accept that Horse is at least trying something different- even if it means he can't redevelop a game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our strength in our forwardline means 1 on 1 greatly benefits us.
Our midfields two way running ability means 1 on 1 would benefit us.

The only weakness would be defence- but even than Nick Smith/Grundy/Richards and even Rampe today aren't awful one on one, just awful at kicking through a zone/press.

If I see us next match against top 4 opposition go man on man all over the ground I'd accept that Horse is at least trying something different- even if it means he can't redevelop a game plan.

What is this 'one on one' you speak of?

John Longmire: Head Coach.
Buck stops with the head coach, his record is good and deserves to go on next year and if things go pear shaped needs to show he can rebuild a list and develop a game-plan to suit. Needs to be told from above though that the game-plan is hurting us on and off the field. Try something new, the fundamentals you want the game to be built around i.e pressure, tackling, contested footy and all those things you consistently talk about can still be played with a forward line and a more attacking/offensively minded game-plan. Stays, sees out his contract.

Stuart Dew: Strategy & Midfield coach.
Well what can you say..the Midfield set up and the strategy doesn't work. Was the defensive coach in 2011 (maybe 2012?) then stoppage coach 2013 (maybe 2012?) for a while (our stoppages haven't been great for some-time). Highly rated for some reason, don't know if his failures in his assigned areas are down to him or Horse's game-plan. Anyway we clearly need new ideas in both areas, hope he goes to Carlton (where it will be very interesting to see what game style he uses, will show us whether these areas are due to him or Horse's game-plan). Goes.

John Blakey: Defence.
Defence gets exposed a lot but seems more down to personnel and failings in other areas than any major coaching flaws. Defenders need to be told to back themselves and get the ball moving though. And something has to be done about the plan with kick ins, going long to the boundary all the time to out numbered talls isn't good enough. Try something go down the guts occasionally, take a risk. 50/50 Stays/Goes, most teams set up ok defensively now won't make a big difference either way.

Henry Playfair: Forwards.

Honestly don't know..there is no forward structure, but that appears to be mainly down to Horse's game-plan or Dew's 'strategy' they want all the numbers in the midfield leaving him nothing. Would like to see what would happen with a forward line structure, was the development coach 2011-12 when we seemed to have our best influx of young players really come on. Coincidence? Maybe? Benefit of the doubt for now Stays, give him a forward line to work with or return to development position.

Mattner. Devlopment.

Was assistant midfield coach, appears to have been demoted or deemed better with the kids. Can't say I'm too impressed with many in the neafl from what I've seen but maybe down to personnel? They're certainly drumming the same rubbish gameplan into the kids 50/50 depends whether the problem is recruiting, strategy or development Stays/Goes

Jared Crouch. Development.
Ditto, neafl comments above. 50/50 depends whether the problem is recruiting, strategy or development Stays/Goes

Josh Francou. Assistant Midfield.

Need I say more about our under-performing mids. Another who's highly rated, is only an assistant might do better under someone else's midfield set-up. Benefit of the doubt for now. Stays.

Kinnear Beatson. Recruiting.

Vezpremi, D. O'Keefe, Johnston, Towers. Enough said. F*** Off.
Seriously though we've snagged some late gems (lets be honest, every club has though) but burning so many high picks is why we have a team of ball butchers as good as their other qualities are. The only elite prospects are academy/father sons (Mitchell/Heeney). Rohan/Jetta/Jones are decent but not at the elite level of some of the blokes drafted around them (may still get there, fingers crossed).

Let's hope this game style isn't being taught to the academy kids.

Tldr: Anyone responsible for midfield/strategy can go (cough/cough Dew). Decision whether development or recruiting is letting us down more needs to be made (recruiting my vote) and let that person/s go. Replace them with people from a successful system if possible (Geelong/Hawthorn etc.)

I wish we didn't have the trade ban for a whole host of reasons - but one of them is I can't tell whether it's the coaching ability I should question or the team personnel.

Im just so glad we're only fourth on the ladder. This board would go into serious meltdown if we were any lower. Seriously guys the negativity on here is ridiculous, do you seriously think we are going to win the flag every year? Where was all this negativity when we beat hawthorn 5 rounds ago? Two bad losses one with a seriously understrength team in perth and we want a coaching re structure and the sacking of the guy who drafted johnson parker jetta hanners and morton, also traded in mumford kennedy mattner shaw and pyke. Obviously these players had very little to do with our 2012 premiership so lets keep going on about the misses of vespremi johnston lamb and towers.

How dumb is he seriously , why has he been using franklin deep forward.

Clarkson did this in 2012 ( too Buddy centric ) then changed it up and pushed up the ground as a high HF/CHF in 13.

He is such a good athlete and a prick of a match up , can kick them from anywhere.

Piss him off up the ground , get him to draw defenders out of the 50

Note sure what's happened to the coaching team over the last year, but it's like they're stuck in reverse.

Team looks bereft of ideas and like all free thinking has been beaten out of them. Only group of players that are remotely holding up are the defenders. Midfield has shown glimpses and when they're on and firing we're still right up there, but far out, it's so few and far between.

Note sure what's happened to the coaching team over the last year, but it's like they're stuck in reverse.

Team looks bereft of ideas and like all free thinking has been beaten out of them. Only group of players that are remotely holding up are the defenders. Midfield has shown glimpses and when they're on and firing we're still right up there, but far out, it's so few and far between.
Ranked 18th in the league for one-on-one contests is holding up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back