Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not directed to you Smoothy but I do see skin colour and can empathize with Adam Goodes when he has this perceived chip on his shoulder and negative attitude about feeling hard done by.

I see so many Aboriginal and Indigenous kids become disenchanted with school, society and trying to fit in with what is expected from them and the negative looks they receive when they fail or don't meet the same expectations many other can not meet them self. The double standards that get applied are ridiculous from certain segments of society and year after year a plethora of people continue to kick them when they are down.

Adam Goodes is proud of his cultural background and takes great care in what he means to his people and what they as a community have had to go thought. When a dog is kicked often enough,. they will bite back and if you have had enough people look down on you based on your skin colour,. you will bite back.

Would I ever boo Adam Goodes......absolutely not.

Some people in this world have it much harder than others and some have it even harder based on different levels of Prejudice they have absolutely nothing about about and this is one case. 95% of people would be booing to join in and they join in on his skin colour and the actions he chooses to make but ignore those same actions from other people who have the same skin colour as they do.

There is no way I would boo Goodes with the rest of the sheep. However if he did a Mitchell "knee", to the thigh of Danger for instance. I would boo him for sure.

If we are a country of red neck racists how come we celebrate Cathy Freeman, Cyril Rioli, Eddie Betts, Shaun Burgoyne, Michael Long etc etc. Could it because they are decent human beings.

I noticed no one touched my Mundine comment, while on a completely different dickhead scale to Goodes. It is possible to dislike someone who happens to be of aboriginal descent without being racist. I suspect most in the pro Goodes camp dislike Mundine.
Mundine is similar as well. And just like Goodes there is different rules for him. Remember when he called out that Aboriginal boxer in Tasmania as a sell out because he had a white girlfriend?
In fact he is a bigger flog than Goodes even.

You didnt answer my question. Im going to assume you wont because it doesnt suit your argument.

Mandela may have been a violent criminal in his early years but he was the one that sought a peaceful resolution to the conflict, sought governmental change through negotiation, popular vote and international pressure, and then sought to integrate black and white post apartheid.

There may have been violence prior to the move from apartheid to the mandela government but the transition itself was not achieved through violence (and had the ANC pursued a violent resolution they probably wouldnt have won)

Yes, apartheid eventually ended through a series of negotiations. However, just because the South African government wasn't overthrown in a coup d'etat with Nelson Mandela storming the presidential palace and summarily executing the president of South Africa, doesn't mean the end of apartheid was achieved via passive resistance. There was a lot of history leading up to the point where those negotiations took place, and violent action was a big part of that history.

Nelson Mandela and Gandhi aren't exactly two peas in a pod.

Yes, apartheid eventually ended through a series of negotiations. However, just because the South African government wasn't overthrown in a coup d'etat with Nelson Mandela storming the presidential palace and summarily executing the president of South Africa, doesn't mean the end of apartheid was achieved via passive resistance. There was a lot of history leading up to the point where those negotiations took place, and violent action was a big part of that history.

Nelson Mandela and Gandhi aren't exactly two peas in a pod.
Nor was the transition from apartheid achieved through violent revolution.

Nor was the transition from apartheid achieved through violent revolution.

So am I to assume that the struggle to end apartheid began in 1990, and ended in 1993? You can't just completely ignore what took place in the lead up to that point, as if it had no consequence on the eventual outcome.

So am I to assume that the struggle to end apartheid began in 1990, and ended in 1993? You can't just completely ignore what took place in the lead up to that point, as if it had no consequence on the eventual outcome.
When talking about an individual it is important to look at that individuals contributions.

Ho Chi Minh he aint.

they are booing Goodes cos hes black
well lets get to the bottom of it shall we... why are they booing him?

Is he a dirty player? is he an unfair player? does he fake injury? does he not put in effort? Does he cheat?

The only reason people won't like him is because of the issues he's brought to the fore.

If we are a country of red neck racists how come we celebrate Cathy Freeman, Cyril Rioli, Eddie Betts, Shaun Burgoyne, Michael Long etc etc. Could it because they are decent human beings.

Because they help us win things. Do you think we'd care about them if they weren't the elite of their field?

Using the word 'magic' in relation to people with black skin is not a good look. Look up the definition of the 'magical negro' as a stereotype that is still being used in film today! I don't cheer wingard at all. Buddy I don't cheer either. I cheer on our players yes. The difference between the four you listed (mostly) and Goodes is that Goodes speaks up. He isn't the quiet type who keeps his opinions to himself. We (society) like those people with different coloured skin who stay quiet and know their place. If they speak up or are uppity in any way, we can't stand it and have to tell them off. That is racist.

Pffft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like it if Charlie Cameron or Eddie Betts do the war dance/spear thing on the weekend

How stupid would it look if Makay of laird or Rory did it. I would feel the same if it came from Eddie or Charlie. So contrived.

well lets get to the bottom of it shall we... why are they booing him?

Is he a dirty player? is he an unfair player? does he fake injury? does he not put in effort? Does he cheat?

The only reason people won't like him is because of the issues he's brought to the fore.
Yes he is a dirty player.
He acts like a holier than tho, know it all.
Why was Wayne Carey booed? Because he was bringing up issues people didnt like?
Why did Port supporters always boo Mark elbows Bickley?
Why will Mitchell get booed now?
Why did Richard Hadley get called a Wanka.by Aussie crowds?
Why did Aussies turn on Hewitt?
People are saying that Tomic and his mate Nick are getting negative press due to racism, however Aussie blue eyed, blonde haired Hewitt got the same treatment. As did Greg Norman.
Only simplistic people would draw the conclusion that his skin colour is the reason.
I dont boo at the football, have never booed Goodes before, but the next time im at a game where he is playing I will. Not because of Adams race, but because the dogooders are telling me that I shouldnt.

People boo goodes because hes a wanka, they dont boo him because hes aboriginal. Everyone nowadays is so precious. Goodes has brought much of these acts upon himself. I like that he stood up for being a proud aboriginal and didnt accept being called a monkey but its almost a continual eventful saga with this bloke. Sometimes you just need to grow a backbone and harden the * up. Instead of crying to the afl everytime something doesnt go your way. If he just got on with it people would give him the respect he deserves imo. I hope he has an absolute stinker against us and when hes lining up for goal il be booing loudly.

Find the whole booing thing boring, it is so Xmas pantomime and booing Goodesy is so 2013. The only reason I'll accept us booing him is that he comes onto the field wearing a black cape and top hat paired with a pencil thin moustache pushing Crows players over whilst saying "mwwwwwaaaahhhhhaaaaa"

Not because of Adams race, but because the dogooders are telling me that I shouldnt.
I will fight for your right to do that, I would go to war for it. Just be aware you'll be on the wrong side of history when you do join the other racists.

By sooking it up over this it will only be worse

Opposition supporters know precisely what buttons to press now and it's not because of his race

No-one likes a dobber or a sook and for anyone pleading to "leave Adam alone" I suggest they think about how "the 13 year old face of racism" felt,
His AOTY speech was divisive - intentionally I would venture to say

Either way - HTFU I say
Buckley and Carey were booed most of their careers

Australians by and large are still racist in their views, even though we like to think we are not. Thinking we are not does not mean that we are not. You have to generalise a bit when discussing these issues, you can't go well it was only this person and this person. This is why I was using we to refer to society overall. I even put in there we, as in society, as a reference to how I was discussing it.

The reality is that the majority of races and societies on this earth are racist. You are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Also remember when Harry O used to get booed. Thats cos he was a wanka. Now that Roos has told him to pull his head in and stop been a wanka, suddenly he isnt booed anymore and people dont call him out as a flog.

Disagree with this. Still a flog, just not getting the air time away from Collingwood.

He did the war dance celebration in Indigenous Round remember, not a peep was heard. Cos nobody watches Melbourne games.

Simple as this for me with Goodes, he is enough of a champion to outweigh any toolish things he has done. I wouldn't be booing him. I think a lot of u may look back on it and feel foolish for it in future years too.

At least Adam Simpson didn't pretend he didn't hear it like a lot of coaches do. He sounded really disappointed with it.

Probably. I think it is a long bow to compare the two though. Nicky was sticking up for Indigenous players by showing them the colour of his skin. What he did was nothing less than amazing. With Goodes.... I honestly don't believe it has anything to do with him being indigenous.

Maybe it's that Winmar was the first to stand up. Goodes is trying to become famous for something, which has already been done. Trying to hard.

Mundine is similar as well. And just like Goodes there is different rules for him. Remember when he called out that Aboriginal boxer in Tasmania as a sell out because he had a white girlfriend?
In fact he is a bigger flog than Goodes even.
He's a way bigger flog than Goodes, that's why I said he's a different level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back