Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lording moral high ground..... hahahahahahahaha......

Talk about using emotive language to defend the indefensible.

The situation is exactly opposite.
He NEVER used the Australia day speech to incite any division. This has been a myth from the outset. But one of the main justifications of the booing.

He was treated poorly and is standing up agsinst that. But as he stands up against his rights being violated, small minded people say he is "being a victim" and should shut up and are protesting loudly that Goodes is protesting too loudly.

"I'm allowed to do what I want and Goodes needs to shut up and stop complaining"
What rights are been violated?

W
what are you talking about ' I think that kinda happened' you are simply making stuff up. I'm done with you and your racist friends.
Thats it. You cant debate your point of view because it is baseless. So you do what people like you always do and thats to run away, normally with some sort of hateful comment as your closer.
You tick all the boxes.

I'll paraphrase what Stephen Rowe said this morning... Something like, there's two clear groups, the "fair-minded" people who are in Goodes' corner, and then all the other idiots.

He then went on to say that 9 out of ten people who emailed the sports show last night were not in support of Goodes.

I don't think he was smart enough to realize he'd just impugned 90% of his audience. Moron.

What's clear is that the AFL gravy train, which includes the media, and the AFLPA, is completely out of touch with "fair-minded" Australians.

That part of the AFLPA's media release yesterday that said fans should "report" other fans who boo...holy smoke. Thoughtcrimes, people! They won't be tolerated!

Hard to believe the head of a prominent organization could allow that in official media correspondence and keep a straight face.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's the case you would think the easiest thing to do to clear this all up would be for Goodes to come out and say that he doesn't view it as invasion day or something along those lines then

His comments in context show that he was in fact doing as you ask:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-26/goodes-top-honour

Goodes admitted Sunday's Australia Day celebrations prompted mixed emotions after he learnt the full story of the country's settlement in regards to his own heritage when he was younger.

However, he said there were still reasons to celebrate his culture on January 26.

"There was a lot of anger, a lot of sorrow, for this day and very much the feeling of invasion day," he said.

"But in the last five years, I've really changed my perception of what is Australia Day, of what it is to be Australian and for me, it's about celebrating the positives, that we are still here as indigenous people, our culture is one of the longest surviving cultures in the world, over 40,000 years.

"That is something we need to celebrate and all Australians need to celebrate.

"There are people out there thinking that today is a great day for Australia - well, it is.

Just watched his acceptance speech on youtube. Was a very conciliatory message targeted on the essential message of treat others as you would have them treat you, and common decency, and no mention of invasion day.

Hardly divisive.

A bit of a reminder for those who tried to spin the line that Michael Long didn't suffer any criticism or even more absurdly, that he was generally applauded:

"Michael Long's complaint was the first use of official AFL channels to take up the issue of on-field racism. By now, Long had come to learn that, to football-loving Aboriginal communities, he had unwittingly become a leader. His stand on racism was not just for himself but for his people.

But the backlash was firm and swift. Talkback callers accused him of over-sensitivity and questioned his manhood. He was accused of reverse racism. Former players joined in. Tony Shaw warned Long he would get "a reputation". Mal Brown could not see why racist abuse was any different to him being called fat as a player. Brown pined for the '70s, when Aborigines were taunted with "fellow, fellow pull the trigger" and "people just rose above it". Simultaneously, he claimed victimhood for white children: "There is a great fear that, with the division between us and them, our own children won't get equal opportunity."

Sam Newman argued that the insult was probably designed to do no more than distract Long, and that in any event, "Michael Long IS black".
http://www.theage.com.au/news/in-de...r/2006/06/09/1149815316647.html?page=fullpage

And that was without forums like Big Footy, Twitter, Facebook, online blogs with high profile commentators saying he is playing the victim card etc.

Last edited:
His comments in context show that he was in fact doing as you ask:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-26/goodes-top-honour

Goodes admitted Sunday's Australia Day celebrations prompted mixed emotions after he learnt the full story of the country's settlement in regards to his own heritage when he was younger.

However, he said there were still reasons to celebrate his culture on January 26.

"There was a lot of anger, a lot of sorrow, for this day and very much the feeling of invasion day," he said.

"But in the last five years, I've really changed my perception of what is Australia Day, of what it is to be Australian and for me, it's about celebrating the positives, that we are still here as indigenous people, our culture is one of the longest surviving cultures in the world, over 40,000 years.

"That is something we need to celebrate and all Australians need to celebrate.

"There are people out there thinking that today is a great day for Australia - well, it is.

Just watched his acceptance speech on youtube. Was a very conciliatory message targeted on the essential message of treat others as you would have them treat you, and common decency, and no mention of invasion day.

Hardly divisive.
I think you've missed my point I trying to make. If Goodes were to hold a press conference tomorrow and say along the lines of that his views of what Australia day means to him have been misconstrued through the media wouldn't that then take away a reason for booing him and anyone who continued to book after would not have a legitimate reason for doing so?

So you think booing is bullying? Or only booing Goodes? And where is it a right to not be booed at the football?
Do you think booing should be banned? I mean if its bullying then it should be right?

Booing is now a thoughtcrime, since people don't know why you're booing unless they're in your head.

1984 is here, folks. Strap yourselves in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll paraphrase what Stephen Rowe said this morning... Something like, there's two clear groups, the "fair-minded" people who are in Goodes' corner, and then all the other idiots.

He then went on to say that 9 out of ten people who emailed the sports show last night were not in support of Goodes.

I don't think he was smart enough to realize he'd just impugned 90% of his audience. Moron.

Nope, he only impugned 90% of people who emailed him. Which probably accounts for less than 1% of his audience, and it is hardly a representative one - it's a self selected sample of people. And the people who fire off emails at Rowe are going to do more so because they disagree with him that to say they agree with him.

Have you ever got so worked up about a thing said by a radio host that you felt the need to fling off an email to agree with him? Possibly, but more realistically it's when you disagree with him.

You only need to look at comments on here on any given day. Bugger all will comment about something great said by Rowe, but we can have pages and pages tearing into him, or Bone, or Rucci, or Ditts when they say something we disagree with.

I think you've missed my point I trying to make. If Goodes were to hold a press conference tomorrow and say along the lines of that his views of what Australia day means to him have been misconstrued through the media wouldn't that then take away a reason for booing him and anyone who continued to book after would not have a legitimate reason for doing so?

If it was the real reason people are booing, it might. If people are booing for that reason though, shouldn't they should find out what he actually said before they boo? Kinda looks like they are assuming, and we all know what that makes of them. I'm sure they have plenty of other reasons they will let us know about for why they boo anyway, so it probably makes no difference in the end.

Its was just a boo? FFS.
Double standards. Becareful not to treat people of different races differently. Thats the basis of being a racist.
"Treating people equally" doesn't mean ignoring the historic and current social conditions that have severely disadvantaged a group of people. The definition of equality isn't "ignoring inequality".

It wasn't just a boo. To say so ignores a history of racist taunts and attitudes of which the insults hurled at an aboriginal footballer, and the backlash to his reactions to these, are but one instance of many. Such behaviour contributes to the current inequality we still see today.

The same cannot be said for the spear dance. Carlton cheer squad members, as a class, haven't been systematically harassed and subjugated by aboriginal footballers doing traditional dances.

Please at least attempt to think about the context to this debate.

Nope, he only impugned 90% of people who emailed him.

I've listened to quite a few people of varying stripes in life talk about this issue in recent times and the almost overwhelming consensus is one of dislike for Adam Goodes, or at the very least apportioning some blame to him.

See, it is possible to have a nuanced opinion of this. You don't have to be totally in one corner or the other.

But when you're on the AFL gravy train, you do.

The steaming piles of s**t from people in the AFL, the AFLPA, and most of the media this week - that you're either with Goodes or you're against him, that absolutely NO nuanced opinion will be tolerated - is going a long way to ensure division and disunity remains.

You only need to look at comments on here on any given day. Bugger all will comment about something great said by Rowe, but we can have pages and pages tearing into him, or Bone, or Rucci, or Ditts when they say something we disagree with.

When did this happen?

When did this happen?

I remember he released a song called Kerbang, once. Maybe it was that? I tried to find it online the other day and can't even find a single reference to it, which is a feat by itself!

Speaking of Rowe, remember all the way back in 2004(ish?) when he got suspended from radio for six months for saying that Daniel Kerr couldn't play football well because he's got Indian heritage, so footy isn't in his blood?

I love Rowey but he says some pretty dumb things :p

If it was the real reason people are booing, it might. If people are booing for that reason though, shouldn't they should find out what he actually said before they boo? Kinda looks like they are assuming, and we all know what that makes of them. I'm sure they have plenty of other reasons they will let us know about for why they boo anyway, so it probably makes no difference in the end.
If you were in Goode's position thow wouldn't you make every attempt to clear up this mess?

If you were in Goode's position thow wouldn't you make every attempt to clear up this mess?

The problem is, at this stage the only thing he can really do to stop the booing is come out and say "my bad, you're all right, sorry for everything" which would completely undermine all of his extremely valid and legitimate points he's made on the topic of racism, and let all of his critics sit secure in the misguided belief that their bigotry is acceptable.

No amount of "I think I've been misrepresented by the media" is going to make a dent in the boos.

I remember he released a song called Kerbang, once. Maybe it was that? I tried to find it online the other day and can't even find a single reference to it, which is a feat by itself!

Speaking of Rowe, remember all the way back in 2004(ish?) when he got suspended from radio for six months for saying that Daniel Kerr couldn't play football well because he's got Indian heritage, so footy isn't in his blood?

I love Rowey but he says some pretty dumb things :p

I've never forgotten the time I heard him describe a stadium as being "6/8th's full".

Its was just a boo? FFS.
Double standards. Becareful not to treat people of different races differently. Thats the basis of being a racist.
Yeah right. He
Come on Jenny. That's a very emotive generalisation. It's this type of comment that holds the dialogue on racism back.
How does it hold it back?

So you think booing is bullying? Or only booing Goodes? And where is it a right to not be booed at the football?
Do you think booing should be banned? I mean if its bullying then it should be right?

Booing at a someone who throws an elbow during a match has been part of spectator sport since day dot.

Singling out a player and booing that player for who they are 17 or so weeks in a row is not part of the game.

Banning booing is a stupid suggestion as it serves no purpose. But when a ground swell of people say "let's ease up on the Adam Goodes booing" why is there vigourous opposition?

Why is being told not to boo now an issue, when it was not an issue when people said lay off booing Watson?
Let's revisit some of this.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...low-champ-watson/story-fniv5weh-1226671117757
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8681351

Listen to the commentary at 38sec

Why did the booing not last 17 rounds? Why wasn't Watson lambasted as a sook when the booing visibly upset him?

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/jobe-wats...t-after-getting-booed-west-coast-fans-1311618

After being booed in round 14 and round 16.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-28/dont-boo-jobe-hardwick

Eventually the booing stopped and not many were fighting hard to retain the right to boo a player to tears. Now a whole section of the fan base IS fighting for the right to continually boo and if Goodes shows any signs of faltering it is a weakness and he is a sook???

A once of boo is clearly for the act in question. If it is repeated is becomes harassment and bullying.

Fine boo Jobe once for being a drug cheat....... But no sane person would want to see him emotionally destroyed after persistent and continual booing.

So why boo Goodes anymore? Because people want to remind him that the actively pointed out racism and that he shouldn't do that and to let it slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back