Europa League 15/16

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a great competition. It doesnt deserve contempt.

Clubs that don't treat it seriously deserve contempt IMO.
Thats great if you think that, all a matter of choice. I much preferred when it was the Cup Winners Cup but really struggle to get into it these days. Can fully understand how you feel, my Nan was a passionate Aberdeen supporter and she used to joke that it was the only chance they would play in Europe, I followed it a little when I was younger but rarely do now. For some clubs the burden on players is just too much in multiple comps and safety in the EPL is far more important for them

Interesting game for us, a tale of two halves.

Really frustrating first half, Aubameyang missed a couple of sitters, Reus had a penalty waved away and we didnt capitalise.

Second half, carnage. Reus, Auba, Mkhitaryan x 3. His 3 strikes, although against not the best competition, were a great confidence booster for him, as he is a genuine confidence player. Shows a bit of why we paid 27m for him

Interesting game for us, a tale of two halves.

Really frustrating first half, Aubameyang missed a couple of sitters, Reus had a penalty waved away and we didnt capitalise.

Second half, carnage. Reus, Auba, Mkhitaryan x 3. His 3 strikes, although against not the best competition, were a great confidence booster for him, as he is a genuine confidence player. Shows a bit of why we paid 27m for him
2 of those goals were rockets, bodes well for the start of the league.

Those calling this a joke comp, what the heck? Europe is Europe. It's a pity some of these English sides think this (think they'd be the only ones in Europe who do)

Soo... there was some Europa matches, in case anyone cared. Southampton drew to the Danish Moneyballers (Who have a link with Brentford).

Mr Dortmund would be quite pleased with the comeback his team made against a very odd team.

The 2nd leg is on the 27th.

Soo... there was some Europa matches, in case anyone cared. Southampton drew to the Danish Moneyballers (Who have a link with Brentford).

Mr Dortmund would be quite pleased with the comeback his team made against a very odd team.

The 2nd leg is on the 27th.
That was hard to watch. Artificial pitches make for a fast game, but geez we looked flat early on.

Positives were seeing Mkhitaryan continue his great form (7goals 4 assists) in 5 competitive matches, Ginter get more playing time and Auba scoring twice again (and missing about 5)

Weidenfeller was awful, so to Castro. Anyone want a world champion GK?

Which I think they'd be very happy for given their league form!
Was talking about this with a mate of mine. The PL is too even from 4th down to about 18th for the English sides to give this cup priority over league form. The challenges faced going to a Stoke or Palace for the English sides on the Sunday after a EL game is so much greater than going to sides like Caen or Empoli

Was talking about this with a mate of mine. The PL is too even from 4th down to about 18th for the English sides to give this cup priority over league form. The challenges faced going to a Stoke or Palace for the English sides on the Sunday after a EL game is so much greater than going to sides like Caen or Empoli
It does hurt the lower sides who dont have the squad. Hopefully we have a good enough squad now to really give the EL a shake without it affecting our PL form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aren't they in the Europa League now.. not Champions League?
Yeah think they must have lost a Champions League qualifier and moved into the Europa. Would be strange the Danish league winners not getting at least a CL qualifying spot

Yeah think they must have lost a Champions League qualifier and moved into the Europa. Would be strange the Danish league winners not getting at least a CL qualifying spot

Ah that makes sense.

It's interesting that Brentford aren't moving in the same direction given the same owner. I know they've been impressive in recent seasons in signing unknown young players - like Gray and Odubajo - but I wouldn't say they're pulling up roots in the Championship.

Ah that makes sense.

It's interesting that Brentford aren't moving in the same direction given the same owner. I know they've been impressive in recent seasons in signing unknown young players - like Gray and Odubajo - but I wouldn't say they're pulling up roots in the Championship.
Last season was their first season in the Championship and were very close to getting into the playoffs. Were in the playoff spots most the season. Not sure how they'll do this season without Pritchard and if they've sold Gray and Odubajo. If they can find some more guys like Jota they'll be close again

Last season was their first season in the Championship and were very close to getting into the playoffs. Were in the playoff spots most the season. Not sure how they'll do this season without Pritchard and if they've sold Gray and Odubajo. If they can find some more guys like Jota they'll be close again

Also sold Dallas and a few others I think, so will certainly be an interesting season for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back