Finals Week 1 scheduling

Remove this Banner Ad

The way they played today they'll beat the cats next week, the Kangas tiges game is 50/50 so if Kangas get up we'll have to travel to Adelaide for the 2nd year in a row. Tigers have to treat Friday night like a final now.
Sorry - against us.

Yeah going over to SA would be a disaster. I would be ok to lose Friday to totally rule out a trip to SA.

Sorry - against us.

Yeah going over to SA would be a disaster. I would be ok to lose Friday to totally rule out a trip to SA.

You guys can't end up going to Adelaide though can you ? if you lose to tigers you play us agin and if you win play dogs ?

Last edited:
The way they played today they'll beat the cats next week, the Kangas tiges game is 50/50 so if Kangas get up we'll have to travel to Adelaide for the 2nd year in a row. Tigers have to treat Friday night like a final now.

Cats were plain ok footy until 2 weeks ago then they've just fallen in a heap after loss to Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast are in a good position, they really can pick their opponent. Win and they can play Hawks in Perth, or they can go do a rest-a-thon..and if Sydney & Hawks beat their low ranking opponents, they'll fall to fourth and still play in Perth against Freo. Likely though they'd want to face Hawthorn while they've still got the double chance and not rely on other results (but perhaps they'd give themselves a bigger chance against Freo? could backfire if GC cause an upset).

West Coast are in a good position, they really can pick their opponent. Win and they can play Hawks in Perth, or they can go do a rest-a-thon..and if Sydney & Hawks beat their low ranking opponents, they'll fall to fourth and still play in Perth against Freo. Likely though they'd want to face Hawthorn while they've still got the double chance and not rely on other results (but perhaps they'd give themselves a bigger chance against Freo? could backfire if GC cause an upset).
They will back themselves to beat anyone. They could send the Hawks to the prelim v Hawks.

Last year Hawks were f'd over because the AFL force us to play finals at stadium Australia. Rugby League had the ground booked for the time the AFL required us to play and they (the AFL) refused to let us use the SCG. From 2017 we will only play at the SCG :)

You are aware of course that the "no games from 2017" refers only to your home games currently scheduled for ANZ and not necessarily finals?

You are aware of course that the "no games from 2017" refers only to your home games currently scheduled for ANZ and not necessarily finals?

From my understanding, we do not have a contract with stadium Australia. The AFL forced us to sign one that had all finals games plus 3 games a year at stadium Australia. That contract has ended. Therefore we have signed with the SCG to play all home games at the SCG.

As we do not have a forced contract with stadium Australia, I assume it will be our clubs choice where to play finals. (In Melbourne, the AFL has certain contracts with each stadium and has control over finals ground due to contract obligations with the MCG and revenue).

ie. Stadium Australia has no AFL contract anymore. There are no obligations to play a game there, and the AFL cant force us to play away from our home ground for a final.

So is there any chance Richmond can play fri night?
I assumed there wasn't, but it's the only night I can attend, so am holding out hope.
Talking if we're in one of the 5-8 6-7 matches
I know it's still 'possible' to get top 4, but I've written that off.

From my understanding, we do not have a contract with stadium Australia. The AFL forced us to sign one that had all finals games plus 3 games a year at stadium Australia. That contract has ended. Therefore we have signed with the SCG to play all home games at the SCG.

As we do not have a forced contract with stadium Australia, I assume it will be our clubs choice where to play finals. (In Melbourne, the AFL has certain contracts with each stadium and has control over finals ground due to contract obligations with the MCG and revenue).

ie. Stadium Australia has no AFL contract anymore. There are no obligations to play a game there, and the AFL cant force us to play away from our home ground for a final.

In an ideal world everyone would get to play finals where they want, but in fact the AFL can force you to play ANYWHERE for a final, since finals fixturing (and revenues from those finals) is solely the province of the AFL - See Geelong v Fremantle as an example - although these days its unlikely to be in another state.

In short, while you may not have a contract for games at Stadium Australia, there is literally nothing preventing the AFL from signing a deal to play finals there long after 2017 if it chooses.

In an ideal world everyone would get to play finals where they want, but in fact the AFL can force you to play ANYWHERE for a final, since finals fixturing (and revenues from those finals) is solely the province of the AFL - See Geelong v Fremantle as an example - although these days its unlikely to be in another state.

In short, while you may not have a contract for games at Stadium Australia, there is literally nothing preventing the AFL from signing a deal to play finals there long after 2017 if it chooses.

In terms of Geelong, the AFL have a contract with the MCG. The AFL also has a contract with Docklands. In sydney, from 2017, the AFL has no contract with Stadium Australia. Therefore they do not have rights to the stadium, or for games to be prioritised over the NRL. The NRL have a contract, so they are not going to move around games.

Last year, the AFL ****ed over the hawks because they couldnt get stadium Australia when we were meant to play, and would not let us play at the SCG. If they try and pull that again, it wont fly with the rest of the competition.

Effectively the NRL has rights to Stadium Australia, and I would be surprised if we were forced to play there again.

So the scenarios are completely different from Geelong/MCG as the MCG has an AFL contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back