Australian Border Force and Victoria Police conducting random Visa checks on the streets

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Google Translate have an 'academia' option? You lost me from "critical..."

The primary push for SJW to me seems to be the popular concept of labeling something so you can dismiss it. Label someone 'elite' or 'redneck' or 'hipster' or 'SJW' or 'mysoginist' or 'feminist' or whatever and they become a point of ridicule in your mind and you don't need to take them seriously or even listen to them. Stereotyping and pre-judging is super unhelpful in most cases. However, if it comes to someone who's viewpoint is largely based on one source it can be useful. The worst are people who just see 'left' and/or 'right'; effectively dismissing the myriad of opinions people hold based on a political shorthand.
It really does stem from pejorative label leveled at social media proponents of pomo critical theory. It's probably been around for longer and was for a while a term embraced by US activists but you are right that now it is just another label.

http://allanborderforce.com/

AllanBorder.png

If we ever become a republic, we need to enshrine in a new constitution laws similar to the US regarding search and seizures and stoping people just going about their day to day business not having been suspected of a crime or it'll be "papers please" down the track. We also need a Bill of Rights.
What does that have to do with being a republic? The issues are entirely separate.

Drivers license. Medicare card.

I could be wrong, but I believe you need to be a citizen to have a bank account given the 100 point ID requirement, so a bank card would be valid as well.
Pretty sure you only need to be a resident, and not necessarily permanent for a bank account. Lots of work, student, and working holiday visa holders have Australian bank accounts. The banks wouldn't like to be denied business. I think similar rules apply for a drivers licence. For Medicare you probably need to be a permanent resident. Someone could easily still have a licence and a bank account years after their visa expires.

Do you really believe that?
Yep. Internet filters, offshore processing, gay marriage etc. Nowhere near the level of outrage when the good guys are being campaigners. As reflected on this board the vast majority of politically interested people barrack like one eyed football fans.

Sarah Jessica Warrior

Yep. Internet filters, offshore processing, gay marriage etc. Nowhere near the level of outrage when the good guys are being campaigners. As reflected on this board the vast majority of politically interested people barrack like one eyed football fans.
That aspect of the gay marriage argument is just politicking. We all know that Gay Marriage has progressed hugely as an issue over the last few years. It was of course around during Labor's days, but this is what actually happened rather than your version where you think no-one cared:
  1. Rudd won power promising to remove all discrimination against gay people. They did that. In the same way as a hetero couple living together for 6 mths (or however long it is) gets considers 'de facto' by govt agencies, so do gay couples. The only remaining discrimination is relatively symbolic - the 'getting hitched' bit, rather than the 'you have the same rights as those who have gotten hitched' bit.
  2. Gay marriage lobbyists were asking for more, of course, but because Rudd had acted on the first aspect, gay activists were satisfied (temporarily) so there wasn't such a passionate push. Over the next few years that passion would grow as people expected the next step of progress to happen.
  3. Gillard took over from Rudd, and seemed to be a believer in the feminist school of thinking that since marriage was about men owning women in the past, and until quite recently (changes in Divorce laws) caused problems for women, she didn't respect the institution. She wasn't married. She didn't fight for it as an issue and was regularly criticised for it. So, yes, she was criticised by the same people who criticise Abbott. Of course not as many, but the amount would grow as the issue grew.
  4. Gay marriage was not a big issue in the 2013 election.
  5. Many nations and states around the world started legalising marriage and the clamour grew in Australia that we should be doing it too
  6. Ireland, a largely Catholic nation, made it legal; and America, a very Christian nation (in parts), did it too. So the clamour reached fever pitch and both sides had to stake their claim. Labor is for it. Coalition is for delaying it as long as possible. Guess who gets criticised?
Labor was also hammered relentlessly on asylum seekers. Including by lefties on BF. I know because I am anti-Abbott-et-al due to their lying, but I am considered 'right' because I think that boatpeople dying at sea is a reason to stop the boats. On the Internet filter, I don't think many people took Conroy seriously at any point. He wasn't a good communicator and I don't think the filter ever looked like getting through the senate. However, I remember heaps of criticism for Labor on it, including on BF. In fact, internet related things was probably the major issue on BF that had people agreeing who would otherwise regularly disagree with each other. Of course the fact Labor was for FTTH rather than FTTN, meant the criticism wasn't uniform since people still wanted fast internet.

Where have you been? Plenty of outrage around, maybe you choose to ignore the noise?

I wasn't expecting the partisans to agree with me.
You could just clarify who it is you think you're talking about. A lot of people pop up on BF claiming 'the left' or whatever always do X or Y, and very often it is wrong. Go into the NBN thread and you'll see what I was talking about, but if you don't want to think about it that hard please keep believing that even tho I was pro-Labor last election and Maggie pro-Greens, we are somehow similar 'partisans'.

Visa overstay has always been a manufactured issue. Overstaying has existed since time immemorial in all countries not just here. Most overstayers go home or move on. A small % number claim asylum. Only about a third of them get approved. Why? Because they haven't destroyed their passports and ID like the people smuggled boat arrivals. As result their claims are easier to check.

You can tell from Maggie's posts here that she is just aping Labor/Green talking points on the issue..

Probably actually believes her own bullshit. But maybe has also been writing and petitioning herself the authorities to crack down on over stayers,
consistently with the obsessive posts she has been making in this forum for months.
You never just know with these whackers and you should be very careful Pazz.
So you admit this whole fiasco is just dog whistle politics from the Government. I guess it got them elected.

Maybe I'm missing something, because I've only really read the OP and haven't caught up with the news, but was there something to indicate this was race driven rather than genuinely trying to catch all those overstaying their VISAs, ie. the 95% of illegals in this country. People that overstay their VISAs are white Europeans as well. I don't really have an issue with random checks on people. If it's good enough for boat people, it's good enough for VISA overstayers.
What's your real name Jiska? Where do you live? Were you born here? How about your family? what's there ages? have you travelled outside Australia? what were your reasons?

come on, spill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this in the 'ministerial responsibility' thread, but wanted to see if people thought it sounded realistic or not. Rather than it being anything too sinister, maybe all this was related to that Laura Tingle report on the Govt demanding "announceables" from departments:

1. Government requests an "announcable" each week from departments that fit what the LNP thinks are their strong points
2. Border Force decides to dress up a regular duty with Vic Police as something bigger so it can be announced
3. Like a politician, the ABF milks as much as it can from the duties it is going to do (which was probably just helping out Taxi officials, but maybe some random checks on Public Transport properties where they can request ID) to make it sound more impressive
4. Release gets approval from ABF at least at Regional level, but probably higher given the Govt's request for announcables
5. Release goes to the Immigration Minister, so he is happy and can pass onto others that they have an announcable
6. PR Release is released.
7. Public confused. Some angry. Many point out overreach.
8. All senior officials and politicians declare (publicly) that they had no idea

Pretty sure you only need to be a resident, and not necessarily permanent for a bank account. Lots of work, student, and working holiday visa holders have Australian bank accounts. The banks wouldn't like to be denied business. I think similar rules apply for a drivers licence. For Medicare you probably need to be a permanent resident. Someone could easily still have a licence and a bank account years after their visa expires.
Correct.

You do not need to be a citizen to open a bank account, nor receive centrelink and medicare.

My partner has a bank account and can get centrelink and/or medicare if she chooses and is currently on a temporary visa.

But how many are genuinely concerned, or like Maggie, are just parroting Left talking points that dishonestly use visa over stayers as an issue to attack government policy on stopping unlawful maritime people smuggler industry?

I am with you - who can trust these leftist scum bags. The should be tried for treason

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-bound-to-lead-to-something-like-border-force

"As is so often the case with the Abbott government, this comic event felt like Vladimir Putin meets Rob Sitch’s Utopia; something sinister undone by a reliable stupidity, perhaps our last national virtue."
I was going to post that as well. "Goon Squad" sums up the Absolute Bloody Farce perfectly.

"For some time it has been evident that the Abbott government has been the worst in our history – the most inept and the most incompetent.

But with such actions as Friday’s aborted exercise in police state intimidation, the Abbott government also begins to look in its desperation to cling to power the most dangerous. Perhaps knowingly, perhaps not, they are summoning into existence forces with powers they do not understand and no democracy should allow. These excesses will be a very long time being forgotten.

The Liberal party can look forward to decades of living such ignominy down. For the highest purpose of a democratic government is to bring a society together and hold it together, not to divide it with fears, with rumours of wars, with acts of belligerence against other and then against its own. It is not to instil fear on our streets with a paramilitary force run by politicians.

The forces that for two centuries held nations together are now in eclipse, and new ideas that make a murderous cult in the Middle East more attractive to young Australians than their own society can only be battled by finding new ways of bringing us together, not further dividing us and weakening our sense of ourselves as a society"

Last edited:
Just having my own tiff with Customs

On return from Asia last week, I can't believe they forced passengers (women, children, citizens and guests to this nation) up against a wall behind a white line whilst yelling and screaming for a dog search. WTF.....all of that carry on for a banana or even drugs (neither were found). Let's have a bit of perspective here between agriculture, law, tourism and common courtesy.

Apart from the obvious issues of forcing people without probable cause, yelling at people who don't speak english doesn't help any more than normal volume.

Unfortunately they had to deal with a w***er like me, I simply responded "I am behind the white line, I prefer the large side.....you get on the the other side". This was followed by a carefully worded warning which will be followed through.

We definitely have a problem with the militarisation of our police, customs and other agencies. I sense they feel that being threatening and brute force is a substitution for common sense.

On return from Asia last week, I can't believe they forced passengers (women, children, citizens and guests to this nation) up against a wall behind a white line whilst yelling and screaming for a dog search. WTF.....all of that carry on for a banana or even drugs (neither were found). Let's have a bit of perspective here between agriculture, law, tourism and common courtesy.
Apart from the obvious issues of forcing people without probable cause, yelling at people who don't speak english doesn't help any more than normal volume.
Unfortunately they had to deal with a ****** like me, I simply responded "I am behind the white line, I prefer the large side.....you get on the the other side". This was followed by a carefully worded warning which will be followed through.

We definitely have a problem with the militarisation of our police, customs and other agencies. I sense they feel that being threatening and brute force is a substitution for common sense.
Was this in Australia? Wow!

So you admit this whole fiasco is just dog whistle politics from the Government. I guess it got them elected.

Don't have much time for CFMEU premier Andrews and his rust bucket policies but no, I don't think this operation had anything to do with dog whistling politics.
Vic Police were just running a multi agency routine law and order operation not targeting specifically any ethic or racial group, that's all.
You have a problem with Vic Police?
Or multi agencies?
Or law and order operations?
What's your beef then? Why would you even think this was a Vic Gov political operation?

Unfortunately they had to deal with a ****** like me, I simply responded "I am behind the white line, I prefer the large side.....you get on the the other side". This was followed by a carefully worded warning which will be followed through.

The problem is we have a complacent and/or ambivalent population. Until that changes and people start shouting from the rooftops "I'm as mad a hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" liberties will continue to be taken.

Thanks for sharing your dreadful experience. Hope you circulate it widely.

I was going to post that as well. "Goon Squad" sums up the Absolute Bloody Farce perfectly.

"For some time it has been evident that the Abbott government has been the worst in our history – the most inept and the most incompetent.

But with such actions as Friday’s aborted exercise in police state intimidation, the Abbott government also begins to look in its desperation to cling to power the most dangerous. Perhaps knowingly, perhaps not, they are summoning into existence forces with powers they do not understand and no democracy should allow. These excesses will be a very long time being forgotten.

The Liberal party can look forward to decades of living such ignominy down. For the highest purpose of a democratic government is to bring a society together and hold it together, not to divide it with fears, with rumours of wars, with acts of belligerence against other and then against its own. It is not to instil fear on our streets with a paramilitary force run by politicians.

The forces that for two centuries held nations together are now in eclipse, and new ideas that make a murderous cult in the Middle East more attractive to young Australians than their own society can only be battled by finding new ways of bringing us together, not further dividing us and weakening our sense of ourselves as a society"
Then on the other hand you have this report from our dear friend Bolt.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...k=2cb475f13bd77b0be17944fe27b73679-1441007776

"Is Australia so boringly decent they must invent monsters to slay? Is that why they invent a global warming apocalypse that refuses to come, “stolen generations” no one can properly name, and an Aboriginal genocide that never happened?"

and then we go to this:

These haters wouldn’t need to invent fake scandals if Abbott had real scandals of the kind the Rudd and Gillard governments routinely produced, and which his critics have wiped from their memory.
But that’s the Left’s problem, isn’t it? Abbott has not actually let in 50,000 undocumented illegal immigrants as Labor did.
He has not wasted untold billions on trash such as free insulation, an insanely expensive broadband scheme, a dud Grocery Watch stunt or overpriced school halls.
Nor has he killed overnight a major export such as cattle to Indonesia.
He has not hit Australia with a damaging carbon tax or a mining tax that raised almost no money.
He has not protected corrupt union officials as Labor does to this shameful day.
And he sure hasn’t tried to intimidate media critics by proposing a state-appointed supercop to police all private media outlets and even blogs.
Now that was a true mark of the totalitarian, but where were Abbott’s critics when Labor tried that stunt?
Where were the Shortens and the Greens?
Yes, forgiving in themselves the sinister traits they only invent in Abbott.

Okay then nothing to see with Border Force, no climate Change, no stolen generation or genocide etc etc.

And he has followers? Australia is in real trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back