Australian Border Force and Victoria Police conducting random Visa checks on the streets

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't have much time for CFMEU premier Andrews and his rust bucket policies but no, I don't think this operation had anything to do with dog whistling politics.
Vic Police were just running a multi agency routine law and order operation not targeting specifically any ethic or racial group, that's all.
You have a problem with Vic Police?
Or multi agencies?
Or law and order operations?
What's your beef then? Why would you even think this was a Vic Gov political operation?
So what you are really saying is that they can't even get a simple press release right.

Agree this is an incompetent government.

Question, if an Aust citizen was stopped by ABF, how would they prove they were a citizen, assuming they were not carrying a passport?
I hope this answers your question. :p

11224720_868122539961654_6612303812282749567_n_zpsn9fhu8sy.jpg

Social Justice Warrior.

It's mainly used by racist, sexist homophobes as a pejorative directed at people who call them out for their racism, sexism and homophobia.
Funnily enough, the same people who use that use terms such as "moral-****", "treehuggers" and "do-gooders".

Funnily enough, the same people who use that use terms such as "moral-****", "treehuggers" and "do-gooders".
I think I get why the right campaigners have scaled up this criticism from "bleeding hearts" to something more aggressive sounding "social justice warriors".

A lot of the power of money in democracy is via convincing people who aren't paying that much attention what the narrative of the political situation is. With the ability for social networks to create hard-to-ignore campaigns, they are going to struggle to get their narrative to override that. Perhaps that explains in some ways why the Americanised rhetoric about foreigners has also scaled up, because even if we aren't as extreme in Australia, you want to energise people to fight spotfires and push the right wing narrative online (and IRL if the Reclaim rallies are taken into account, but I think those guys are a whole different ballparkcricket pitch).

See what happens when the far right get in power?

Random citizenship and visa checks. Metadata observation and biometric scanning. Presumably mandatory, offshore and indefinate detention for those that lack said citizenship paperwork, at gunpoint with no appeals to the courts allowed, and no requirement for natural justice or procedural fairness afforded. No reasons needed to detain you, they dont have to tell anyone thanks to national security, and anyone reporting on it that works at the prison gets 5 years in prison themselves. Threaten anyone during the process, and you also get 5 years in prison. Likely solitary confinement. While in prison the government can then revoke any citizenship you do have because they view you as a terror threat now. Again, all outside the courts.

Is this really ******* happening?

Where are our right wing libertarian peeps now? Dan26 medusala? This is your boy doing this.

Is this 'liberty'? And to think all you blokes had to worry about was the RDA and your ability to hurl s**t at ethnic minorities with impunity. This is ******* beyond the pale.

I would recommend checking out #textsfromliberals on twitter. A couple of journos are republishing texts they have received by members Federal Liberal Parliamentary Party members

A right wing tea party totalitarian fascist type wants leftist scumbags tried for treason. What level of dork is this?

So do you actually believe in democracy? I was a bit confused by your posts. I thought you would love a one party state - i agree with the theme of many of your posts that the ALP is hopeless, inept, and incapable of governing, I also agree with your view that ALP/Green supporters are muelling weaklings incapable of independent thought - why not just eradicate them?

You agree with me that the leftist scumbags have disentitled themselves to citizenship?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I get why the right campaigners have scaled up this criticism from "bleeding hearts" to something more aggressive sounding "social justice warriors".

A lot of the power of money in democracy is via convincing people who aren't paying that much attention what the narrative of the political situation is. With the ability for social networks to create hard-to-ignore campaigns, they are going to struggle to get their narrative to override that. Perhaps that explains in some ways why the Americanised rhetoric about foreigners has also scaled up, because even if we aren't as extreme in Australia, you want to energise people to fight spotfires and push the right wing narrative online (and IRL if the Reclaim rallies are taken into account, but I think those guys are a whole different ballparkcricket pitch).

I think Americans are embracing Trump because of the constant need to be politically correct. I think they are sick of being told what to do, when to do it, how to do it, then being ridiculed regardless. I think they are p*ssed off, but don't know who to blame, so they blame the politicians - which has resulted in a sway towards Trump, Sanders, Fiorina, and Carson (Non-traditional candidates). I don't think we can compare them to the actions of those in Australia. It is a completely different dynamic IMO.

I think Americans are embracing Trump because of the constant need to be politically correct. I think they are sick of being told what to do, when to do it, how to do it, then being ridiculed regardless. I think they are p*ssed off, but don't know who to blame, so they blame the politicians - which has resulted in a sway towards Trump, Sanders, Fiorina, and Carson (Non-traditional candidates). I don't think we can compare them to the actions of those in Australia. It is a completely different dynamic IMO.
I am surprised by how many businesses have sacked people in America off the back of social media furores, so I guess some of the SJW complaints are valid. But ironically, that's actually the free market in action, rather than anything pushed by govt. Companies don't want to lose customers or have reputations even slightly questioned so they remove someone just for making a remark about AIDS in Sth Africa or joking about a dongle. In Aus, maybe our stronger labour laws might have stopped that.

And because I know you are susceptible to some curious world-views, can I also point out that getting a bad look at someone's party, or having an article written about a media comment, is not actually some big govt program of censorship or telling you what you have to do. It's bog-standard social acceptability. In the old days you might get the same reaction bringing up how much someone was paid, or what their religion or politics were. That isn't a big conspiracy or anything that is ruining the country. It's no different to the reactions that happen with most political discussions. The only real complaint about actual action that can be attached to 'political correctness' is on 18C at a Fed level and on the racial and religious vilification laws at Vic level. Now I haven't seen any real problems with how those laws have worked, and there's no need to open that all up on this thread (same goes for debates about 'meritocracy', but then there hasn't been any enforced changes to society on that; just chat) so I'd suggest you think about whether the disillusionment you've described above is justified. I'd bet the reaction in America is more to do with cynicism over the role of lobbyists and money than anything to do with political correctness.

Perth airport

WA ministers are reviewing the issue and it looks like wa govt workers were involved alongside federal govt workers.
Well done, that is so wrong. Such a bad impression for first time tourists.

And because I know you are susceptible to some curious world-views, can I also point out that getting a bad look at someone's party, or having an article written about a media comment, is not actually some big govt program of censorship or telling you what you have to do.

I do have alternative views, I am open to a variety of perspectives and opinions. I don't just have the one world-view, so I guess we don't share that commonality. Anyway, I gave my opinion, and that is all it is. I didn't harp on about 18C, and I certainly didn't mention 'meritocracy', so it just sounds to me as if you've veered a little off topic. Come to think of it, perhaps we are both a little 'off topic', because this isn't a political correctness thread. Apologies to those who actually wanted to talk about ABF, Vic Police and random Visa checks.

The problem is we have a complacent and/or ambivalent population. Until that changes and people start shouting from the rooftops "I'm as mad a hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" liberties will continue to be taken.

Thanks for sharing your dreadful experience. Hope you circulate it widely.

you are absolutely right.

people need to have the confidence to say "stop" when they see this type of thing happening. I use a simple line "careful officer". Then after a pause demand their personal details and when they refuse demand the minsters details.

I then explain what the issue is and what is going to happen from here.

We all appreciate govt departments have important roles to play but they need to appreciate an enormous responsibility comes with that.

Perth airport

WA ministers are reviewing the issue and it looks like wa govt workers were involved alongside federal govt workers.
Look forward to reading about this in the news!

Mining magnate, who rubs shoulders with Branson and Gina.
Who frequently overhears racist conversations by union leaders (thugs)
Who is part of the ALP and the coalition.
Was accosted at the Perth airport, and treated like a second class citizen.

What are the odds, that this will only ever be an anecdote by PR (Aka GJ)?

Look forward to reading about this in the news!

Mining magnate, who rubs shoulders with Branson and Gina.
Who frequently overhears racist conversations by union leaders (thugs)
Who is part of the ALP and the coalition.
Was accosted at the Perth airport, and treated like a second class citizen.

What are the odds, that this will only ever be an anecdote by PR (Aka GJ)?

off the meds again?

but I still love you

See what happens when the far right get in power?

Random citizenship and visa checks. Metadata observation and biometric scanning. Presumably mandatory, offshore and indefinate detention for those that lack said citizenship paperwork, at gunpoint with no appeals to the courts allowed, and no requirement for natural justice or procedural fairness afforded. No reasons needed to detain you, they dont have to tell anyone thanks to national security, and anyone reporting on it that works at the prison gets 5 years in prison themselves. Threaten anyone during the process, and you also get 5 years in prison. Likely solitary confinement. While in prison the government can then revoke any citizenship you do have because they view you as a terror threat now. Again, all outside the courts.

Is this really ******* happening?

Where are our right wing libertarian peeps now? Dan26 medusala? This is your boy doing this.

Is this 'liberty'? And to think all you blokes had to worry about was the RDA and your ability to hurl s**t at ethnic minorities with impunity. This is ******* beyond the pale.
You have mostly described that far left campaigner called Obama!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back