Postive And Negatives in GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many negatives to list, but mainly we were too nervous and overawed by the occasion, causing us to miss too many shots at goal and drop too many marks. Some players too selfish to pass the ball to a teammate in better positions. Most players were collectively poor, but thought that NN's rucking was mostly pretty good, but no one player could have possibly saved us today.

Negatives :thumbsdown:

• Worst player of the finals series goes to Jack Darling. I said his form was a worry in the build up to the game and unfortunately for us, it got even worse. Simply hopeless out their today, and i think his role should change in 2016 unless we have another tall forward like Gov down there.
  • Devastating way to end such a marvelous season
  • The only players who were switched on or adjusted to the game was Gaff, Shuey (barring his 2 ghastly errors) and Shep.
  • I was disgusted with Sydney for their limp effort last year, it was even worse today watching MY OWN team get steamrolled in quarter of footy.
  • Really feel for the supporters who made the journey over to WA, hats off to you.
  • The decision to have Rosa as the sub over Masten was poor IMO, Masten was one of the most casual players we had out there, not intensity.
Positives :rainbow:

• Jack Watts
  • Gaff really earned a lot of respect for me in that game. Really worked into it and adjusted to the intensity well, he'll learn alot.
  • I thought Shuey was our next best, which is disappointing considering he made those 2 very poor error which cost goals.
  • Wellinghaaaaaaaaaaaa...ahah.......ah...ah...ah...ah...mmmmm sitting Hodge on his ass and winning that contested ball.
  • Rosa coming on as the sub and trying his ass off, despite being 50 odd points down at that stage.
  • McGovern getting on the sausage roll train again, good man.

I feel like Hawthorn just crapped on my heart. Time to stay away from all forms of media for a few days until trade period.

Was very hard to watch.

Looked afraid walking out onto the G. Nerves got the better of him. Wasn't vocal enough in the rooms before the game and his tension would have flowed on to the boys.
Big problem I see, at least from the outside, is that no one at our club strikes me as a natural leader. Hawks have a bunch.

Positive: McGovern kicked 67% of his goals for 2015 in the Grand Final.

If our other players were as good as McGovern they would have kicked...

Kennedy - 53 goals
Le Cras - 30 goals
Hill - 27 goals
Cripps - 23 goals
Darling - 17 goals

Would have meant a total of 150 goals from our forwards alone. Would have been enough IMO.

Well WE CHOKED - 1 goal 8 we were right in the game

Shuey - Missing handballs and tyring to be a hero instead of playing team football
Kicking at goal - Yes Darling, Lecras, Hurn, Butler, I am looking at you all
Dropped Marl = Jack Darling
Kennedy - Zero Influence
Leras = Zero

Postives
Shep = Awesome
Nic Nat = Tried hard
McGovern = Great has to play forward next year
Wellers - Awesome

Not much after that

Odd game. Really felt like we never turned up. I was riding high off the atmosphere and off just being there so I have avoided the anger and despair.

Our midfield got beasted early on and reverted to bombing it long. Gave our forwards no advantage.

Trying to rectify this by throwing McGovern up forward and Yeo down back in his place was a poor decision. Needed Yeo's X factor in the middle. McGovern was class though,.

Shep and Gaff were huge. Probably the only two who can hold their heads high.

Hill should cop an absolute roasting for burning the player in the square and lazily grubbing the kick. Didn't affect momentum at all but spoke volumes about his attitude. Was a shame too because his earlier goal was so great. Feel like Jetta will just end up another player like him. If we don't throw the book at Bennell and are content to grab Jetta I will riot.

Hugely disappointing effort across the team, but in the scheme of things it's not the end of the world. We should be very dangerous with the inclusion of Duggan as a full time mid rotation and eMac for our defensive lineup, although I wonder how well he'll work within our current backline ethic

Negatives:
Overawed by the occasion and nerves got the better of many.
We were lost on the MCG
Hawks pressured us into making many skill errors
Panic of some supporters.

Positives:
Most supporters would have taken a Grand Final appearance at the start of season
Huge strides by a number of young or maligned players
Better than 16 other teams in the AFL
Won the Coleman medal
Runner Up in the Brownlow
Group of young fringe players on the verge.
We showed how much a team can improve in one year.
Leap frogged Fremantle
Plenty of improvement left in the squad
A new found belief in the squad and a new game plan that hold up against good opposition.
The experience will be invaluable having played today ( Shaun Burgoyne has played more finals than our entire squad)

I'm surprised on how harsh people here are on Darling. Sure that dropped mark was atrocious but other than that he was our best forward by a mile. Was the only bloke out there who looked like taking a mark in our 50 and kicking goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we board ban ep2006. Massive negative.
It's the frequent visits to opposition boards to talk up that team and disparage our great club that gets me.

Before I blocked it, I saw it do it every week. Especially with our neighbours.

I'm seeing a few positive reviews of Wellingham today. Maybe I'm missing something (I'll watch the replay) but live I thought he was awful today. Pulled out or went in soft in numerous contests, like it was a different person in his jumper to last week.

And our fans who Bronx cheered JK in the last quarter need to take a good look at themselves. He had a stinker but has been a leader all year and if not for his second quarter last week we might not even have been in a GF.

I'm surprised on how harsh people here are on Darling. Sure that dropped mark was atrocious but other than that he was our best forward by a mile. Was the only bloke out there who looked like taking a mark in our 50 and kicking goals.

I don't think people are solely latching onto the dropped mark.

-He killed our momentum and gifted the hawks their first goal with that stupid 50m penalty.
-Killed it again with the turnover goal kicking it back into the middle a short time later.
-The highlighted dropped mark, fumble and turnover goal down the other end.

Throw in some of his average field kicks or shots on goal and combine it with his lack of defensive pressure and you can see why people are giving it to him at the moment. He was once a big game player, and this was his worse performance for some time.

For what it's worth i think Shuey is copping his fair share too, despite the fact he was our 2nd best mid.

Big problem I see, at least from the outside, is that no one at our club strikes me as a natural leader. Hawks have a bunch.

Yes they do but they are also older, wiser and more experienced than our players; I agree we had too many senior players (Hurn, Kennedy, Lecras, Masten...) who seemed too overawed by the occasion and thus went missing today. We do however have a few relatively younger players (EMac, Shuey, Gaff, Shepperd, Darling, Wellingham, Yeo, Sheed, ....) who will eventually get to the same level with more experience. People did n't rave about the Hawks leaders back in say 2010, did they?

Was at the game and noticed NicNat wasn't really jumping at ruck contests I presume he was carrying an injury???
Pretty sure they beat us at hitouts last update I got at the game

I'm seeing a few positive reviews of Wellingham today. Maybe I'm missing something (I'll watch the replay) but live I thought he was awful today. Pulled out or went in soft in numerous contests, like it was a different person in his jumper to last week.

And our fans who Bronx cheered JK in the last quarter need to take a good look at themselves. He had a stinker but has been a leader all year and if not for his second quarter last week we might not even have been in a GF.
Around where I was sitting it was Hawks fans that were doing that.

We were outclassed by the best team if the modern era in their playground. They showed us the standard required to win a premiership and we fell well short today. We were lucky it wasnt more than 46 points. To have a discrepency of 90 marks in a game and 80 of those uncontested we had no chance. We also let them have over 400 possessions and kick to handball ratio of 2 to 1. (Which shows a lack of pressure on the ball carrier) We also had less tackles than hawks 45 for a grand final is totally unacceptable bruise free footy. A lot of soul searching needs to be done it isnt easy to make a grand final but to not show up until half way through the 2nd qtr is not good enough. Bar Hawthorn the competition is very even and unless the players and coaching staff collectively improve we wont be back here. We can improve and do it its up to the players to lift their standards and leadership to Hawthorn like levels.

Well done on a great season though boys gave us more than any of us could have imagined.

Pos +

Experience of playing in a GF will resolve the team
9th to runners up is a big step up. Take into consideration this is without our two most valuable defenders from R1 and it makes it an even greater step
The experience of Grand Final week from start to finish won't be lost on any players and coaching staff. Will be better for it next time
Players like Shuey, Gov and Gaff with 5 - 10 seasons left in them stood up on the biggest stage. Wasn't left all to the more experienced campaigners
For me personally this doesn't hurt like 2005 did. Went into the game with different expectations

Neg -

Losing. Big players going missing
Lack of experience at the G
Soft players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back