Postive And Negatives in GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes they do but they are also older, wiser and more experienced than our players; I agree we had too many senior players (Hurn, Kennedy, Lecras, Masten...) who seemed too overawed by the occasion and thus went missing today. We do however have a few relatively younger players (EMac, Shuey, Gaff, Shepperd, Darling, Wellingham, Yeo, Sheed, ....) who will eventually get to the same level with more experience. People did n't rave about the Hawks leaders back in say 2010, did they?
Leadership and experience aren't the same thing.

Just too many passengers today. Yep Darling made some big errors, but at least he put himself in the position to make them. He is copping the brunt for our poor performance , seemed to me he was the only forward who actually had a crack , unlike Kennedy , Cripps, Lecca and Yeo.

Alot of players taking heat, Elliot Yeo worst on ground by a mile , 4 quarters for 5 possessions. Very ordinary.

Last edited:

Sinclair was annoyingly bad. Not surprising since he was due a bad game, just unfortunate it happened to be the GF.

No aerial presence whatsoever, and constantly fumbled and halted momentum when linking up by hand with our midfielders. Obvious sub choice.

Big problem I see, at least from the outside, is that no one at our club strikes me as a natural leader. Hawks have a bunch.
Couldn't agree more. It's been the main reason why we were flat track bullies for so long.

Not many sides have as many on-field leaders as Hawthorn though, and that's why they're so good.

Duggan and Nelson will be added to that group, but players like Le Cras and Priddis don't seem to have it in them. Mackenzie might take the next step now that he's been in a mentoring position all year.

Can't see Gaff ever being much of a leader, he's too quiet. Sheed was captain at U/18 level - I reckon he'll start to flourish as a leader over the next few years. He, Duggan and Nelson will take us forward in that regard. Yeo is vocal but also seems a bit up and down in terms of confidence.

Couldn't agree more. It's been the main reason why we were flat track bullies for so long.

Not many sides have as many on-field leaders as Hawthorn though, and that's why they're so good.

Duggan and Nelson will be added to that group, but players like Le Cras and Priddis don't seem to have it in them. Mackenzie might take the next step now that he's been in a mentoring position all year.

Can't see Gaff ever being much of a leader, he's too quiet. Sheed was captain at U/18 level - I reckon he'll start to flourish as a leader over the next few years. He, Duggan and Nelson will take us forward in that regard. Yeo is vocal but also seems a bit up and down in terms of confidence.

Believe, Shuey can be a leader and has shown signs throughout the year. That QF final against Hawthorn he lifted the whole team.

Believe, Shuey can be a leader and has shown signs throughout the year. That QF final against Hawthorn he lifted the whole team.
Yeah he's getting there. I don't think he's a natural leader but his actions do inspire.

One positive for me was when Kennedy marked in the goal square with only a few minutes left and no one would have begrudged him going back and kicking a goal. He would have known that it was probably his last chance to kick a goal in the game and being the Coleman medalist kicking a goal would have been important. But instead he handballed off for a LeCras goal. Speaks volumes for the man and his mindset.

One positive for me was when Kennedy marked in the goal square with only a few minutes left and no one would have begrudged him going back and kicking a goal. He would have known that it was probably his last chance to kick a goal in the game and being the Coleman medalist kicking a goal would have been important. But instead he handballed off for a LeCras goal. Speaks volumes for the man and his mindset.

Now spuddy Frawley and the media can still say he kept the Coleman medalist goalless. He did him a favour :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12140573_1029886197099299_8427680332968715033_n.jpg

Only just noticed this but in the pre-match photo Ellis was calming Dom's nerves. Good to see. :thumbsu:

Don't know if this is true or whether he was just balancing, but I'd like to believe it is the former. Didn't have many touches today but was one of the few composed players.

Anyone know if NicNat was playing hurt today? Didnt seem to ruck nearly as much as I thought he should have (spent most of his time resting forward?). Or was it some form of strategy-plan from Simpson?

It just struck me as really, really weird.

Sorry guys not trying to intrude or anything, but what's with NicNat not getting enough marks. Is it him not pushing hard enough into space to find the ball? I find it hard to believe someone of his athleticism can't find uncontested ball. Absolute freak though.

Bad luck for today, you guys will come back stronger :)

Sorry guys not trying to intrude or anything, but what's with NicNat not getting enough marks. Is it him not pushing hard enough into space to find the ball? I find it hard to believe someone of his athleticism can't find uncontested ball. Absolute freak though.

Bad luck for today, you guys will come back stronger :)
Not this s**t again...

If it's been mentioned in the thread all ready then I guess I'll look back
Don't take it personally mate, Naitanui and his marking (or lack thereof) is just something we hear a lot about all year long.

Darling had a shocker. He tried his guts out no doubt but it was a poor performance. That dropped mark... Man, we had played pretty gash to that point, we finally got some momentum, Hawks came out at HT very flat and the margin would've been 3 goals if he slots that.... But wasn't to be.

positives:
- Shep and Gaff did us proud.
- went to the cinemas after dinner and watched Straight Outta Compton which made me forget about the awful game for about 2 hours.

negatives:
- shueys dribble kick at goal, burning a teammate.
- shueys brain fart not using his 2 teammates in a 3 on 1 contest running inside 50m
- darlings turnover at halfback costing us a goal
- darling dropping the chestmark in 3rd quarter.
- Priddis missing an easy shot at goal from 25m out directly in front under no pressure.
- Yeo, Kennedy and Hurn having their worst games of the season on the biggest day of the year.

Positives
It's over. Painful to sit through as we were never in the game.

Negatives
Completely out-coached. Where was the direct pressure on the ball-carrier
that served us so well in the QF? Stifling Hawthorn early was paramount
as we had, it could be assumed, the legs to run over the top given the conditions and lack of travel as long as we kept it close.

I'm still livid as the stars were aligned in our favour. We were just too stupid to capitalise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back