Rumour Harley Bennell wants to go to Collingwood - Pies say no thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I know he's done coke. It was on the front page of the paper. And I'm tipping it wasn't his first time given he was doing it in the company of others. And Karmichael Hunt has given anecdotal evidence of further instances.

How many times to do have to do it to become an addict? Not many.

Sorry, but that is a particularly uninformed comment. Everyone is entitled to their views but the one you've posted is not based on fact indeed the opposite that is, speculation. This is not a personal dig at you but you should inform yourself before making unsupported accusations. Anecdote is hearsay.

There are plenty of online resources to inform your opinions about drugs & alcohol. The media especially when it comes to footy is not a good source of evidence.

Having said that, he may be an addict of some sort but none of us know. Trying cocaine a few times indeed more than say 10 times does not make one an addict in the same way that having 10 drinks of alcohol does not make one alcohol dependent (an addict that is)

Sorry, but that is a particularly uninformed comment. Everyone is entitled to their views but the one you've posted is not based on fact indeed the opposite that is, speculation. This is not a personal dig at you but you should inform yourself before making unsupported accusations. Anecdote is hearsay.

There are plenty of online resources to inform your opinions about drugs & alcohol. The media especially when it comes to footy is not a good source of evidence.

Having said that, he may be an addict of some sort but none of us know. Trying cocaine a few times indeed more than say 10 times does not make one an addict in the same way that having 10 drinks of alcohol does not make one alcohol dependent (an addict that is)

I would have thought cocaine is more addictive than alcohol. Alcohol is legal. Have you ever seen a crack addict? They will sell their soul for a hit. Richmond baulking on such a talented player rings alarm bells, that's all I'm saying. Let me say he has drug issues then, he may not be an addict but it's more than possible.

Once you smoke mice you're hooked forever.
I don't know why people don't keep to just rats.

Everyone knows mice are a gateway rodent.

I would have thought cocaine is more addictive than alcohol. Alcohol is legal. Have you ever seen a crack addict? They will sell their soul for a hit. Richmond baulking on such a talented player rings alarm bells, that's all I'm saying. Let me say he has drug issues then, he may not be an addict but it's more than possible.

In part you're shifting arguments:

1. We are not talking about legal & illegal that is irrelevant to your post;
2. Crack is different from cocaine - we don't have crack problem as such in Australia (people confuse ice with crack & some people use hollywood imagery to inform their opinions)
3. I work with alcohol & drug affected people almost daily although that is not my main area of work,

I'm glad you've shifted your original statement to "Let me say he has drug issues then, he may not be an addict but it's more than possible". The first part is on the money, the second part is not valid (again not a dig on you personally at all, just one aspect of your post)

While not directly related, the biggest issue that we as a society have in terms of licit & illicit drugs is alcohol. The negative consequences for individuals & families is enormous in terms of health & social costs that far outweighs all of the others put together.

If Bennell could somehow show that he has matured he would be a great pick up

In part you're shifting arguments:

1. We are not talking about legal & illegal that is irrelevant to your post;
2. Crack is different from cocaine - we don't have crack problem as such in Australia (people confuse ice with crack & some people use hollywood imagery to inform their opinions)
3. I work with alcohol & drug affected people almost daily although that is not my main area of work,

I'm glad you've shifted your original statement to "Let me say he has drug issues then, he may not be an addict but it's more than possible". The first part is on the money, the second part is not valid (again not a dig on you personally at all, just one aspect of your post)

While not directly related, the biggest issue that we as a society have in terms of licit & illicit drugs is alcohol. The negative consequences for individuals & families is enormous in terms of health & social costs that far outweighs all of the others put together.

If Bennell could somehow show that he has matured he would be a great pick up
I have to disagree that you say alcohol is the biggest problem in society. It is a big problem but only because it is only so accepted. 90% of people who drink do not have a problem.

The biggest problem in society is easily ice. Believe me it is overtaking a fair part of society as so cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to disagree that you say alcohol is the biggest problem in society. It is a big problem but only because it is only so accepted. 90% of people who drink do not have a problem.

The biggest problem in society is easily ice. Believe me it is overtaking a fair part of society as so cheap.

With respect it isn't. Alcohol is the single biggest cost burden in terms of money, health & societal pressures. I work in a major Melbourne Emergency department. Ask any clinician who works in drug & alcohol or any clinician in an emergency department at any time. If they say ice they should be de-registered because they don't know their work. (that is not to say ice isn't an issue but alcohol tops it by a long way, it's a big issue but in comparison to alcohol it does pale)

The costs of police, ambulance, violence on the one hand puts all of the others in a less significant basket. Every day there are assaults due to alcohol, weekends especially due to alcohol. Every week there are car accidents & damage to cars & to people due to alcohol not ice per se.

Then there are the costs of alcohol related illnesses: brain damage, cirrhosis, blood vessel damage, cardiac & neurological damage, driving damage, interpersonal violence, interfamilial violence, domestic violence and the list goes on. Alcohol is also a depressant & is easily linked to depression.

Having said that I don't understate or minimize the issue of ice but be wary of the government's propaganda too. I deal nearly every day with ice affected people & it's sad to see so many young people affected by it. Compared to alcohol it is a lesser issue.

The point of me saying this was merely to initially address the assertion that Bennell is coke addict - none of us know whether it is likely or not & in my view is making scurrilous accusations about people without fact.

I think it would be more accurate to say that the majority of people who drink alcohol don't have a problem may well be correct. However, if a person is over 0.05% BAL & are caught driving, is this considered a problem? To say 90% you need to have evidence & define your terms of what constitutes a problem.

Cheers

Last edited:
I reckon we should have taken a punt.

Especially given how successful Swan has been getting Dustin Martin under control. Worth the risk in my opinion, he's far too good to not at least give a shot. As I said a while back, from a PR perspective you get out on the front foot and acknowledge you're taking a risk. That way if it all goes south, the media won't bother jumping on it because you already admitted you knew you were taking a huge gamble when you took him.

Hawthorn came out of Dayle Garlett completely unscathed for a similar reason. Still think we should have taken a punt.

I was in the group that thought we should take the punt, but when I read he couldn't get up for his Richmond medical I had to admit that this bloke doesn't have the internal strength to make good decisions for himself. If you can't control yourself for one day to pass a medical, then how can you do what AFL footballers have to do for 11 months day in day out? He may achieve something in football, but I doubt that he will be a consistent asset to any side after this.

The bloke has to much talent not to have a crack at getting him, risk vs reward.
Steer him in the right direction and we have got a gun for a cheap pick.
So what if it doesn't work out, everyone knows the risk so no harm done if it doesn't.

The bloke has to much talent not to have a crack at getting him, risk vs reward.
Steer him in the right direction and we have got a gun for a cheap pick.
So what if it doesn't work out, everyone knows the risk so no harm done if it doesn't.
Because if it doesn't work out it is like a disease, it infects others and takes time to recover
Poison is poison

Last edited:

Especially given how successful Swan has been getting Dustin Martin under control. Worth the risk in my opinion, he's far too good to not at least give a shot. As I said a while back, from a PR perspective you get out on the front foot and acknowledge you're taking a risk. That way if it all goes south, the media won't bother jumping on it because you already admitted you knew you were taking a huge gamble when you took him.

Hawthorn came out of Dayle Garlett completely unscathed for a similar reason. Still think we should have taken a punt.

Buckley has spent the past three years trying to change the culture at the club. No way would he risk that by taking a punt on Bennell.

Was watching the 2011 Collingwood v GC game (first time we played each other) last night. On a couple of occasions the commentators remarked that Bennell could be a future champions but needed to fix some of discipline and off field issues. This was back in his first year and he still has not changed.

Except that Garlett cost them nothing and came with minimal expectations. They could just hide him away and once apparent he couldn't get his act together became an afterthought that won't ever again get mentioned in the history of Hawthorn.

Bennel will come at a cost, and with a lot of media pressure and expectations. A bad outcome could have much bigger consequences for the club than someone like Garlett - additionally given our young list.

I would've liked the club to not give a blanket "no" and rather to properly investigate his character and do their due diligence before deciding, (and if we thought he was worth the risk I would take him) but if it is true about concerns with how is treating the trade period - well that's pretty telling IMO. The guy should've had a number of big wake-up calls this year, and these couple of weeks were a time for him to get his act together just long enough to put his best face forward for clubs (even if just for a short period). If he can't get himself up for that, then you question what level of commitment he will be able to show to a club - it's basically the equivalent of a guy attending a job interview hungover and disinterested - no matter how qualified, you wouldn't hire that guy.

I'm happy for another team to take that gamble on him, and good luck to them (as long as it's not Hawthorn), but I'm glad if our club has looked at his behaviour and said no.
(Having said that - if the club have met with him behind the scenes and think the story is different than what's being reported - then sure, take a punt on him)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back