List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Zac Smith traded for picks 49 and 53

Do we want Zac Smith at the Cattery?

• Yes

Votes: 199 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 22.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like us to forget about looking at these rucks who have had knee, foot or other leg issues in the past. If Lobbe is available and we do not have to give up too much (no young player along with compo etc), he would be a good pickup and would last 4-5 seasons without any hassles.
Otherwise, why not focus on the best young ruck available in this years draft or next years draft? Set a goal for say, three years of development and then we can finally look forward to having our very own gun ruck who will be with us for 10 years. There's a very valid reason why clubs are getting rid of the McIntosh's, Clark's, Kreuzer's, Smith's and Leuenberger's . . . they simply haven't worked out for whatever reasons and only clubs who are desperate are giving them another life line.

We use to be so good at developing our own. What's happened to that train of thought down at Kardinia Park :(

Lol. Who are these rucks? A ruck without any previous injuries.....hmmm where are we going to find one?

I would like to see Blicavs moved onto half back flank as I believe Scott Selwood and Patrick Dangerfield would provide more clearances than what Blicavs will. Selwood is also a superior tagger and could do better run-with role than Blicavs.
I also feel as though Stanley is a huge worry for the club in regards to his foot and as such, we now have to bring another ruckman in.
Simpson is gone, that much was evident in the games most people watched of him in the VFL (or senior team) while Lucey and Read are nothing more than project players. One has has had a long term bout with a debilitating illness, who knows if he ever fully recovers while the other is absolutely atrocious as a ruck prospect.

To be honest i don't see us playing many taggers Bobby mate, taggers seem to be more prominent in a developing or defensive game structure. After next year I'd like to think our mids are developed enough to hold their own against most opposition midfields without having to worry about negating an opposition mid. Absolutely though useless to have a good midfield without a fit ruckman, but didn't Smith play all of this year he just got dropped a few times when Dixon and Nicholls came good? Either way we do need hold onto at least 3 genuine rucks (H-Mac gone and Simpson here's hoping) Leaves us with Stanley. I'm happy to take the gamble on Smith but for Christs sake we need to recuit some tree trunk from the state leagues thats 205cm+ that can stay fit and give us coverage for 'Rucks' sake.

But as we discussed last night do agree that we need a big bodied mid. Perhaps Blicavs is to tall and doesn't have the breakaway speed, also concur his clerance stoppage work isn't the best. But hopefully they can develop him over the off season as our midfield looks heavier bolstered.

Blicavs will play as a utility, not in a fixed position.

He was Geelong's best player last year and will have a Carji to prove it ...at least that's my bet...I reckon he'll be given a fairly free reign to move around....and good luck anyone trying to keep up with him.

He was Geelong's best player last year and will have a Carji to prove it ...at least that's my bet...I reckon he'll be given a fairly free reign to move around....and good luck anyone trying to keep up with him.
I reckon this will work, particularly if he continues to improve his knowledge of the game. One thing I really liked this year was when he floated back and took some intercept marks. Not sure if this was coach-directed or his own initiative, but it showed good awareness and just how useful a loose player of his size can be.

I kind of agree.

If he's a tall utility that plays elsewhere, fine.
If he's just a player that can move around, we waste his potential.

I kind of agree.

If he's a tall utility that plays elsewhere, fine.
If he's just a player that can move around, we waste his potential.

They should name him on half fwd flank, but get him to roam between the 50m arcs, fill gaps in defence, and also frees up space in our fwd line for two fit talls to operate in. Opposition won't have spare man back, otherwise Blicavs left unchecked and likely to cause havoc as second man up, as well as constant movement for link play through the middle.

They should name him on half fwd flank, but get him to roam between the 50m arcs, fill gaps in defence, and also frees up space in our fwd line for two fit talls to operate in. Opposition won't have spare man back, otherwise Blicavs left unchecked and likely to cause havoc as second man up, as well as constant movement for link play through the middle.
On the subject of 3rd man up, when Blicavs would go 3rd man up early in the season with Stanley, the footy commenters were crying foul every game until the Umps started intervening. Then watching other teams playing I saw players going 3rd man up all the time, and nothing was said ever.

So who rucks whilst Dangerfield, Duncan and the Selwoods are in their prime?

the club should have thought about that when we were trying to push the old legs to one last premiership (no.4).
Had we actually recruited a young ruck in the national draft a couple of years ago already when they knew Simpson's back was farked, they knew McIntosh had only a few years left but went for small utility types instead.

I love Cockatoo and think he'll be an absolute gem but we could have secured Peter Wright had we played our cards right. Wright alternated between forward, back and ruck this year in the NEAFL and by all accounts, starred in many of the games. Think of Ottens in his absolute prime who could play ruck and forward with relative ease and that could very well be Wright in a nutshell.

Blitz was good first half of the season but struggled a bit in the second half of the season, in fact in some games struggled a lot. I think Mots should get the Carji, whether he will is another thing all together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blitz was good first half of the season but struggled a bit in the second half of the season, in fact in some games struggled a lot. I think Mots should get the Carji, whether he will is another thing all together.

He struggled, generally when put into the ruck, and resting as a mid, which coincided with the timing you mention.

Don't know about you, but my thoughts are he'll always struggle in the ruck and it isn't in our interest for him to play there.

But, without any options, he had to.

But he's a star. A star I tell you. Umps must be wrong.

Enright polled no Brownlow votes when he won the Carji in 2009, he then polled only 3 votes in 2011 when he won his second Carji.

So he wins the best & fairest in 2 premiership years - did the umps underrate him, if did we just overrate him as a "star"? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
the club should have thought about that when we were trying to push the old legs to one last premiership (no.4).
Had we actually recruited a young ruck in the national draft a couple of years ago already when they knew Simpson's back was farked, they knew McIntosh had only a few years left but went for small utility types instead.

I love Cockatoo and think he'll be an absolute gem but we could have secured Peter Wright had we played our cards right. Wright alternated between forward, back and ruck this year in the NEAFL and by all accounts, starred in many of the games. Think of Ottens in his absolute prime who could play ruck and forward with relative ease and that could very well be Wright in a nutshell.

How could we have got Wright? He was taken two picks before us.

Enright polled no Brownlow votes when he won the Carji in 2009, he the polled only 3 votes in 2011 when he won his second Carji.

So he wins the best & fairest in 2 premiership years - did the umps underrate him, if did we just overrate him as a "star"? :rolleyes:
Plus Brownlow votes are completely irrelevant to club b&f voting.

Club voting is done by the coaches who base it on the role they wanted the players to play and how well they performed the task

Plus Brownlow votes are completely irrelevant to club b&f voting.

Club voting is done by the coaches who base it on the role they wanted the players to play and how well they performed the task
The Best of Fairest is different cos it gives a lot more votes out for each game. It rewards players in the 3-6 position whereas Brownlow only rewards the best. Our B and F is a massively flawed voting system that rewards mediocrity. The fact G.Ablett only won 1 and not even remotely in his best season is proof of that.

The Best of Fairest is different cos it gives a lot more votes out for each game. It rewards players in the 3-6 position whereas Brownlow only rewards the best. Our B and F is a massively flawed voting system that rewards mediocrity. The fact G.Ablett only won 1 and not even remotely in his best season is proof of that.
I was of the belief that Jnr has won 2.

Back