List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Zac Smith traded for picks 49 and 53

Do we want Zac Smith at the Cattery?

• Yes

Votes: 199 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 22.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Um great news for West Coast, they will keep Selwood for a lower SC. How is that not good news for WC?
Im gonna presume you got the bit about getting a lower compo pick as you quoted the post.
So I'd say that would be a loss for WC given they were seeking a Band 1 compo….

Go Catters

Holy crapballs (as my nine-year old says)! We're up to our necks in it this year, aren't we? Our golden age was defined by sound drafting and development. Perhaps us embracing the FA/trading era could yet bring the biggest windfall...

Call me an eternal optimist; hell - call me delusional for all I care - if we manage to pull of the biggest trading coup in a single AFL season, AND we have some luck re form/injuries with said recruitments to the point that our ruck stocks and key backs are replenished for the next six or seven years, we could bloody well go all the way - starting from NEXT year!

Boy oh boy, wowee!

Yes but have you seen today's news? 800k is borderline R1 so would ~500k even be End of R1??

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-...-to-earn-firstround-free-agency-compensation-
The AFL has changed it's formula for Compensation Picks.

For a club to qualify for a First Round Draft Pick immediately after their first pick, the departing player must become one of the top 5% earners of players over the age of 25 in the competition.

Top 6% - 15% would net your club an end of First Round compensation pick.

Top 16% - 30% would net your club a Second Round pick immediately after your second round pick.

Top 31% - 50% would net your club a end of Second Round compensation pick.

The AFL has changed it's formula for Compensation Picks.

For a club to qualify for a First Round Draft Pick immediately after their first pick, the departing player must become one of the top 5% earners of players over the age of 25 in the competition.

Top 6% - 15% would net your club an end of First Round compensation pick.

Top 16% - 30% would net your club a Second Round pick immediately after your second round pick.

Top 31% - 50% would net your club a end of Second Round compensation pick.
Hmm so how many over 25's would be on 500k or more. You'd think more than 15%??

If we go off last year if 5% was 14 players that'd mean we'd need there to be less than 42 players on 500k or more across the league and over 25. That's 2.33 players per club. So would there be 2.33 players on a list over 500k. Yep. Would there be that many over 25y.o... You'd think that's quite possible. Not looking good for R1

Pushes Vardy out of the 22

Ruck 1 Smith
Ruck 2 Stanley
FF Hawkins
CHF Clark

Not my 22 mate...I am a fan of Vardy...think he could be a very very good player with a fair suck of the sav..

I know we probably need a big ruck man, but I was a no vote for Smith..though not exactly sure why...not getting a game in a bottom side might have had a bearing.

Anyway the general consensus is that he's a positive gain so I'm in for the ride.

Gold Coast have academy boys coming through next year true? So they are keen for picks next year? I would think 2nd Round next year would get it done, however it also sounded like Wells wasn't keen on trading future picks in his recent interview.

Gold Coast had two boys from the academy play in the 17 year old AIS team the other day, Brad Scheer and Jack Bowes, both were named in the best. They will need to stock up on picks next year to get these boys as they are both rated highly, I can see us trading a second rounder next year for Smith.

Interesting list from an old post in B13:

Just looking at the youth policy for last 2 years, players making their debut

Geelong 2011 - 5

Mitch Brown
Josh Cowan
Allen Christensen
Cam Guthrie
Nathan Vardy

Hawks 2011 - 5

Isaac Smith
Luke Brest
Ben Stratton
Matt Sppangher
Paul Puololo

Geelong 2012 - 9
Billie Smedts
Lincoln McCarthy
Jordan Schroder
Jordan Murdoch
George Horlin-Smith
Josh Walker
Jackson Sheringham
Jesse Stringer
Jonathan Simpkin

Hawks 2012 - 1
Bradley Hill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Choosing GFC as his preferred destination is another sign that Danger is coming to us. Smith would be loving that he's tapping the ball to Motlop, Selwood and Danger... Geelong is a nice place, but Danger is our number one drawcard for trades and free agents.

Does that mean Adel cant get our first round pick next year??

Think good move by geelong

The year he won the whole medal. Surely you can find a better example?
It's the perfect example of the point I was making. The Brownlow is hardly the be all and end all.

Also plenty of very very good players hardly rate at the Brownlow. And some players who have been up for years and who always poll well get more votes than they deserve in their poorer years. Selwood was an example this year. Judd for a few years.

Back