List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lesson two of negotiation theory. A.K.A why offering anything more than pick 9 is silly.

Adelaide sending Dangerfield to the draft is a non-credible threat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-credible_threat

To be totally honest, I think our position is that strong, that anything more than the compo pick is overs.

And all this talk of a side deal?? You have got be be kidding me.

To be totally honest, I think our position is that strong, that anything more than the compo pick is overs.

And all this talk of a side deal?? You have got be be kidding me.
You are absolutely right. I'm really only saying 9 because it seems as though Geelong is trying to be reasonable. If Geelong simply said "we will not trade ANYTHING", as a matter of logic Adelaide should accept compo.

You are absolutely right. I'm really only saying 9 because it seems as though Geelong is trying to be reasonable. If Geelong simply said "we will not trade ANYTHING", as a matter of logic Adelaide should accept compo.

If push came to shove, and we wanted to play the nice guy the absolute worst I would accept is crows get 9 and somehow we receive 14. How that would happen I have no idear but that's the best I would do to save face on the whole nice guy theory. Other than that, danger to the draft, no other club would take him and the crows can stay in the bottom half of the ladder for eternity.

Its not really out of the realms.

GC want future picks.if we dont make finsls next year (which is by no means guaranteed) it could be 2 top 10 picks (our first year this year +2016 1st round) for 3 and a guy who is not in their best 22 and is OOC.we might need to add more but its not far off.

On players we shall see, obviously walker seems to want to go somewhere but no other players have put their hands up yet,unlikely we will force anyone out.

See this is what I don't get. You're saying to want Dangerfield for free, and are willing to trade 2 x 1st rounders, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd for Smith and #3. You then use #3 to get Danger (assuming we match, and this is after we can accept compo).

You could just trade those 2 x 1st rounders to Adelaide, use the 2nd or 3rd on Smith, and you're in exactly the same position.

Why would Geelong, who've had a great relationship with us in the past choose to be hard asses just to screw us over?

Melbourne is the only real risk, and even then Connors will try to scare them off with he won't do medicals with any club, won't talk to them, will live in Moggs and not Melb if they draft him etc. If we can get a pick higher than Melbourne's it is game over for Adelaide.

Now Smith has nominated us I would be trying to do with GC what I suggested earlier, trade pick 9 and our 2016 first rounder for pick 3 and Smith. This means Adelaide cant demand any picks because we dont have any and they know if they match they get nothing as we will get him at pick 3 in the ND, so they will have to accept the compo. If they do then we get to keep pick 3 for ourselves in the draft and if not we get Danger there anyway.

I would give Adelaide a chance to be reasonable first (i.e. accept pick 9 + small change and not any of this 2 first rounders + gregson crap) because I believe in giving everyone a chance to do the right thing. But given Danger is basically choosing us so that his kids can be raised around their grandparents, and is spurning clubs who are offering him twice as much money (so his motives are fair enough) if they are going to try and block him moving I think that would be a disgrace. So I would give them a chance and if they won't be reasonable then try and do alternate deals and get him in the draft anyway.

I like it all bar loosing our R1 next year... it may leave us trying to trade into it some how..... but as long as the Crows are above the mindset of a divorced bloke thats willing to Bulldoze the house... they would see the likely loss and take the comp...and then we have P3... our earliest pick since 1990

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See this is what I don't get. You're saying to want Dangerfield for free, and are willing to trade 2 x 1st rounders, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd for Smith and #3. You then use #3 to get Danger (assuming we match, and this is after we can accept compo).

You could just trade those 2 x 1st rounders to Adelaide, use the 2nd or 3rd on Smith, and you're in exactly the same position.

Why would Geelong, who've had a great relationship with us in the past choose to be hard asses just to screw us over?
In that scenario it's more the fact that rather than trading 2 x 1st rounders for just Danger, we are receiving pick 3 which will force you guys to match, meaning we get Danger for free + we get to use the pick 3 in the draft.

I think your choosing not to get it. If we go and get pick 3, no way do crows force danger into the draft. If they did that you will receive nothing for losing him. All of a sudden pick 14 looks good, right?????? Hmmmm, pick 14 or no pick!

Geelong then get danger, because I can assure you, the crows will accept pick 14 over pick none, despite what a few crows supporters think.

Geelong get danger for nothing, as the AFL provide the comps not us, and we also have pick 3 to use on a gun in the draft. The same draft that danger was not forced into because the crows did the smart thing and took pick 14.

I think your choosing not to get it. If we go and get pick 3, no way do crows force danger into the draft. If they did that you will receive nothing for losing him. All of a sudden pick 14 looks good, right?????? Hmmmm, pick 14 or no pick!

Geelong then get danger, because I can assure you, the crows will accept pick 14 over pick none, despite what a few crows supporters think.

Geelong get danger for nothing, as the AFL provide the comps not us, and we also have pick 3 to use on a gun in the draft. The same draft that danger was not forced into because the crows did the smart thing and took pick 14.
Its a checkmate move

They won't.....but its called leverage. We are NOT going to give you 2 first rounders, and/or a player because we don't have to (best for Geelong), but if you insist on screwing us over for Dangerfield and insisting upon it, then we can play that game as well....so lets find the compromise. Thats how it works....

I don't believe either club wants to screw the other, but Geelong hold the whip hand here despite what some Crows supporters may believe. I have had a good chuckle on the irony of some Crow posters calling Geelong delusional.

Leverage...you need it in a high stakes negotiation. In the present scenario, I'm not sure Adelaide have much at all.

I bet both clubs are now making frantic phone calls to the AFL to try and establish whether our RFA Offer does or doesn't put him in the top 15 players in the League.
It could really make a significant difference to negotiations and deals.

But is that for this year or next... I have not be pay much attention?

Danger is apparently back in Moggs Creek according to Ch. 9 tonight. Rather convenient timing, wouldn't you think, so close to the start of the FA/Trade period? A short little trip up the GOR for his first press conference as a Cat. ;)

Last edited:

Id assume that we neither side want to go down with the boat saying its the other guys fault the boat is leaking. Pure's idea was to try and be civil for a start... but after that if you are not even close to where we need to be ..obviously it would be time to up our leverage.

Best oucome for mine...is probably you take the comp , we do some side deal , pick swap ..and its as close to both of us winning as its going to get.

But if the Crows board continue to say 2 R1's.plus a player x.... why not trade our 2 R1's for P3 and Smith... we are at least a ruckman better off th. At that stage , thru gritted teeth.... Id say you don't match..take the comp... and then we use p3 in the draft. and AFC could hardly blame Geelong when we tried to deal first

Id almost do that deal as long as we found a way to get all four.

Remembering that by the time we get to pick in the draft we will be selecting players to fill list space hopefully S.Wells can pull a rabbit or two

At least would have pick 20, but yes, the rest would be from round 4 onwards to fill space (but they may not want to fill the entire list quota) and don't see too many rookie upgrades either

At least would have pick 20, but yes, the rest would be from round 4 onwards to fill space (but they may not want to fill the entire list quota) and don't see too many rookie upgrades either

2 probably.....Bates and Luxford

This year. The AFL is not claiming a change, just explaining what the system is and its basis, previously undisclosed.

So basically ..if a player is in the highest 15 in the AFL... comp band 1? My guess is anything over 800 would be. how many could there be? Boyd and Buddy and Ablett and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back