Sheffield Shield Round 2: NSW Blues v Victoria Bushrangers @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

then don't schedule games there so early in the Shield season. I realise the rain can't be helped.

This. Use those 4-5 other first class grounds.

Have the season opener every year in Newcastle or something. Build some tradition and maybe get a good crowd (by shield standards)

then don't schedule games there so early in the Shield season. I realise the rain can't be helped.
That is NSW's crickets problem, not Victorian Crickets. If the SCG knew they were doing work on the oval prior to this match then it is up to them to make sure it is safe to play on or move the match elsewhere. Rain prior to a match is very common, but in this day and age, that much rain prior to a match should not cause it to be abandoned.

Not a good look but at the end of the day we can't control the weather. I wish we had a full game but it was never going to be that way

Rain happens. We all know that.
There are reasonable expectations for how a test ground like the SCG should be able to cope with rain. And the SCG didn't meet them.

If this happened in the match in Wagga Wagga last year we'd all be pretty understanding that s**t sometimes happens (and CA would have probably blacklisted Wagga Wagga from hosting matches).

But a test ground needs to be held to a higher standard.
If the AFL/Cricket switchover means the SCG may not be up to standard this early in the season than alternative arrangements can be made for playing matches elsewhere

Come off it. Cricket grounds these days should be able to drain the water quite easily, especially considering they are mostly sand based ovals these days.

The problem was not the drainage, but the fact the SCG tried to lay turf and top dress at the wrong time. Very disappointing in this day and age.
The SCG trust will probably say well what is the right time and them mouth the words drop pitch or something

No ground in Sydney would have been decent this week. The amount of rain we got down here was extremely unusual. 1 point each, move on.
Imagine if the boot was on the other foot the bitching that would be sprouting from cricketnsw two weeks in a row they have not been able to produce a venue up to first-class cricket points should go to Victoria.

Yet it is very rare for a Victorian bowler to be released from 12th man duties to play for his state let alone to help us beat NSW!

Of course my hatred goes back to the days of seeing McGrath and the Waughs playing for NSW whilst Warney needed a rest...Hell they even used to rest Reiffel and Fleming and they sure as hell never got released from 12th man duties...
Do you just make s**t up and hope people don't question it?

Sheffield Shield games played between 1994/95 and 2001/02 (time period when the Waughs, McGrath and Warne all played test and ODI's)

Shane Warne 18
Steve Waugh 19
Mark Waugh 20
Glenn McGrath 13

Total bollocks that Warne wouldn't be released to play for Victoria.

As for the 12th man situation - they were rarely released in those days and it was Andy Bichel who copped it the most, being 12th man for Australia 19 times.

It should count as a NSW forfeit.

I'm as far from a Bushrangers supporter as it gets but this was entirely avoidable.
That is what will happen if the match referee believes that the ground was not presented in a suitable condition.

I would like to see this happen, certain grounds now get multiple uses not just cricket, so it is still on the state association to make sure an appropriate FC venue is delivered. It is a case of CA making sure a precedent is set that ensure that if drop in pitches are used and the ground has work done after the AFL season then they need to do it properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No ground in Sydney would have been decent this week. The amount of rain we got down here was extremely unusual. 1 point each, move on.
Disagree massively, the fact is the surface didn't hold together that has nothing to do with rainfall that has to do with poor drainage, which is one of the things a ground must have to get FC accreditation.

Wonder what NSW would've been saying if they were fielding and losing their footing in the outfield?

NSWCA failed to deliver a venue in suitable standard for a FC match (not the first time this season either given what happened in the CA XI v NZ match) and should be made to pay by forfeiting the match to Victoria.

Do you just make s**t up and hope people don't question it?

Sheffield Shield games played between 1994/95 and 2001/02 (time period when the Waughs, McGrath and Warne all played test and ODI's)

Shane Warne 18
Steve Waugh 19
Mark Waugh 20
Glenn McGrath 13

Total bollocks that Warne wouldn't be released to play for Victoria.

As for the 12th man situation - they were rarely released in those days and it was Andy Bichel who copped it the most, being 12th man for Australia 19 times.

Not quite the same era, but Brett Lee spoke about how he lost his s**t with CA (or ACB I think it was back then) because he played almost zero first class cricket for the entire summer of 04/05 when he went something like 10 tests in a row as twelfth man.

SCG curators are claiming there was no issue, and basically trying to pass it off by blaming the Victorians being a bunch of softies and whingers.....:rolleyes:

So the Kiwis and now the Vics are just packs of whingers....its just not good enough from NSW and I'd hate to think of the uproar if the shoes was on the other foot. Oh and I just remembered I heard an interview from zed Cowan slamming the condition of the SCG....did Ed move from Tassie to Victoria

only one part of this post happened. you'll never guess which part is emotionally charged rubbish!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/sheffield-shield-2015-16/content/story/938359.html
Sounds like Tom Parker trying hard to save his job the playing surface is a joke, these photo are proof enough
AD31C467C2EE4E6DA3F87370352683E7.ashx
226333.3.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back