Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Not liking our chances of a new training facility. With JT and his mates needing a new stadium up north and the increasing likelihood of a second team in Brisbane for the NRL 2017/18. Spoke to someone very close to the bid for the Brisbane Bombers Rugby League team on the weekend who are 99% confident they will get the nod. I was told they are planning on an extensive training facility at the airport.

Worried :(

Went to QSAC on Saturday for the first time in a very long time. As it is its a dump of a place. Needs some serious investment to make it a worthwhile asset for the govt. I'd really prefer the Lions base not to be govt owned/managed but beggars can't be choosers.

Not liking our chances of a new training facility. With JT and his mates needing a new stadium up north and the increasing likelihood of a second team in Brisbane for the NRL 2017/18. Spoke to someone very close to the bid for the Brisbane Bombers Rugby League team on the weekend who are 99% confident they will get the nod. I was told they are planning on an extensive training facility at the airport.

Attachments

• images-4.jpeg
    images-4.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 5
Hard not to be jealous listening to 3AW what the Hawks have planned for their home facilities. And West Coast for that matter.

Rather daunting isn't it, but remember what Leigh said. They won a premiership in 1991 and were broke in 1996.

Rather daunting isn't it, but remember what Leigh said. They won a premiership in 1991 and were broke in 1996.
different day and age. Clubs learn from past mistakes and I can't see the top clubs dropping the ball again. AFL needs to harden the F up and limit off field spending or at least give allowances to teams that spend the least money. The off field salary cap tax they were putting in is a disgrace as well should be a heavier tax IMO.

havent heard a thing re. new facilities for a while. i thought a few weeks ago an announcement was imminent, has any one heard anything?

havent heard a thing re. new facilities for a while. i thought a few weeks ago an announcement was imminent, has any one heard anything?

Sounds like we have a location but don't have the money to formally announce anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who is funding the Brisbane bombers facilities?

What gets me with the nrlol mob, the clubs own these massive poke filled leagues clubs, win a few games & demand government pays upgraded facilities. The Cowboys on average only half fill their current stadium yet think they are entitled to a new stadium!

So who is funding the Brisbane bombers facilities?

What gets me with the nrlol mob, the clubs own these massive poke filled leagues clubs, win a few games & demand government pays upgraded facilities. The Cowboys on average only half fill their current stadium yet think they are entitled to a new stadium!
I loved that they quoted the distance from the city as being an issue. It's ******* Townsville FFS, and not that far. The city is at the beach, so no-one lives on the other side of town, for starters (apart from a few on Maggie Island). Almost as many people live beyond their ground, as those who live between it and the city (or equidistant at least).
Distance of the ground from anywhere in Townsville is probably the worst argument I have heard for anything.

I loved that they quoted the distance from the city as being an issue. It's ******* Townsville FFS, and not that far. The city is at the beach, so no-one lives on the other side of town, for starters (apart from a few on Maggie Island). Almost as many people live beyond their ground, as those who live between it and the city (or equidistant at least).
Distance of the ground from anywhere in Townsville is probably the worst argument I have heard for anything.

Different mind set up there. If you are stuck in traffic for more than 3 minutes that is major traffic jam.

Different mind set up there. If you are stuck in traffic for more than 3 minutes that is major traffic jam.
That's true, but it's also relative. The importance of location, is relevant to 3 groups.
  1. Players, who would likely take the opportunity to live close to the city, or beaches. But most of the players haven't grown up there, with that mindset of 15km being far.
  2. Visitors for games, again would be staying in the city, but also not be concerned about a 20min drive.
  3. Residents. The growth of Townsville means the average distance for most residents to the stadium is less than that to the city. (I say "city" but...).
The location, mostly affects the players, and the thought of the expenditure to change location so that they are less than 20min away from the facility is laughable.

Went to qsac for acdc concert last night. Got there early so had a look around the whole place. Imo it would require significant investment and major work to get anywhere near a decent training facility for a footy club.

That's true, but it's also relative. The importance of location, is relevant to 3 groups.
  1. Players, who would likely take the opportunity to live close to the city, or beaches. But most of the players haven't grown up there, with that mindset of 15km being far.
  2. Visitors for games, again would be staying in the city, but also not be concerned about a 20min drive.
  3. Residents. The growth of Townsville means the average distance for most residents to the stadium is less than that to the city. (I say "city" but...).
The location, mostly affects the players, and the thought of the expenditure to change location so that they are less than 20min away from the facility is laughable.
location. yes most of the players live around inner city suburbs don't they eg. hawthorne, bulimba, east brisbane. i haven't ever heard this idea but could they (by they i mean govt/afl) spend a heap of money on giffin park to upgrade to a decent facility? who owns the land there council/coorparoo fc? or is this just not a viable option?

location. yes most of the players live around inner city suburbs don't they eg. hawthorne, bulimba, east brisbane. i haven't ever heard this idea but could they (by they i mean govt/afl) spend a heap of money on giffin park to upgrade to a decent facility? who owns the land there council/coorparoo fc? or is this just not a viable option?
The post you quoted was in reference to Townsville, but in answer to your question, the idea of Giffin park has been floated and dismissed many times for numerous reasons.
For Brisbane, either of the two locations being considered (QSAC & airport precinct) would be pretty agreeable.

The post you quoted was in reference to Townsville, but in answer to your question, the idea of Giffin park has been floated and dismissed many times for numerous reasons.
For Brisbane, either of the two locations being considered (QSAC & airport precinct) would be pretty agreeable.
thanks for the feedback. the main reasons were? how much were they expecting to spend on qsac/airport and springfield when it was mooted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back