Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
quick and dirty

broadcastrev2001-2020.png

Settle pettle dont be so defensive.
NO! I just hate that the soccer mob and some of the gutless media are trying to browbeat the public in believing that SOCCER is the only football game in Australia which it clearly isnt.
If any of my friends or aquaintances and myself say we are going to the football/footy we dont mean the soccer.

NO! I just hate that the soccer mob and some of the gutless media are trying to browbeat the public in believing that SOCCER is the only football game in Australia which it clearly isnt.
If any of my friends or aquaintances and myself say we are going to the football/footy we dont mean the soccer.
Isn't that similar with the league fans?

Hey im all for the the bashing of the media but to say they love A-League and soccer/football and put down the other codes is having a laugh, or drunk, or your off the meds.

They are just as entitled to call their sport football as we are. Our game is officially Australian Football (which can be confusing when soccer folks talk about Australian football), their game is officially Association Football. Ditto the rugby codes. We should be past this by now.

Personally, Id have thought that keeping the soccer name would have been more beneficial in the Australian sporting climate - football means different things to sooooo many people. On the other hand, theres no mistaking soccer.

The AFL doesn't appear to involve itself in the language used, but soccer uses the expression "australian football" so often, that I wonder whether the AFL can just let it go for much longer.

In the mid or late 1990's the AFL deliberately decided to copy the NBA and market the game as AFL not Australian Football or Aussie Rules and it became very obvious how successful they were, because between 1992 and 2010 I spent 3.5 years in SE Qld and the rest of the time in Sydney and locals very quickly changed to calling it AFL. I reckon it was under the Wayne Jackson regime that the change occurred. He took over after the 1996 GF. The big book stores - Dymocks, Angus and Robertson and Borders quickly changed from Australian Football to AFL the section title in their book stores.

When the Australian Soccer Federation/Socccer Australia changed their name to Football Federation Australia on 1st January 2005, almost overnight the bookstores changed the section title from soccer to football in both Sydney and Brisbane. I moved back to Sydney in February 2005 and remember the change in Brisbane and I checked out Dymocks in Sydney within a few days of getting back to Sydney and it had changed there too. The AFL opened up the door and soccer went thru it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...y-cant-all-four-football-codes-just-get-along

These footy code war articles are always cringe-worthy with the journo feigning objectivity yet still being unable to hide their dislike of the code they have no interest in.

The fun parts for mine -

Unfortunately the promotion of one sport can be done, in part, by the negative presentation (or the willful ignoring) of another

Far too often proponents of soccer and league complain about the lack of media coverage, or even the lack of positive media coverage that the local media outlets show for their chosen sports and teams. Time and time again, we see the complaints about an AFL centric media, or complaints about how the AFL is getting positive coverage all the time, or generally about the imbalance in AFL coverage compared to other codes. How did it come to this?

Something the AFL appears to have realised years ago is that positive coverage takes work and investment, and not just by the established media. Not only does the AFL have its own Media unit - according to some bigger than most newsrooms across the country - but EVERY club has a journalist assigned to it, whose sole job is to put out articles and medai about the club, and to feed local media. People mock the articles about Andrew Walkers hat and such, but it keeps the footy in peoples minds during the offseason.

Take a look at the AFLs events and media coverage. It doesnt stop when the season ends, and pick up again when the preseason starts. Events like the draft, combines, international rules are all staged with enough space to generate their own media. Prior to the draft we had delistings and "will they, wont they" announcements by the hour. Womens footy announcements are coming every other day at the moment. Clubs are out and about now touting membership numbers. Injury updates, training schedules, sponsor announcements - the scoreboard is always ticking over.

The NRL finally figured this out at the commencement of their current deal to a degree, forming a joint media unit with Telstra, but has a long way before it approaches AFL levels of saturation.Theres still too little of anything league related in the media once the season is over until the Nines begins,

For the FFA and Aleague clubs the complaints are still all about how they dont get enough coverage and when they do its all negative. Despite having access to one of the biggest sporting brands in the country - the Socceroos - they have been unable to capitalise on this. This is not to say that the mainstream media are perfect, but other codes could do more to promote themselves. The Aleague had an incredibly muted launch this year, and may have screwed the entire start of its season over as a result - and thats before the fans went on strike.

Part of the problem is of course that the Aleague has no breathing room prior to its season start, theres no real build possible when you are up against the AFL and NRL finals - and you are left with just 10 weeks before the Big Bash kicks off. Im left wondering why they wouldnt start the season a few weeks later (finishing later or making the season shorter) to give themselves a proper build - and some clean air for the FFA Cup finals at that - because the current system isnt working. It may well get worse when an expanded Big Bash kicks in in 2018.

That is a genuine shocker. It's a code war article that tries to pretend it's not. And badly at that.
For starters, he insists on calling soccer "football", so that's a bit of a giveaway.

How about this line: "So where does this leave football in Australia? On the one hand, considering where it’s been, it’s in a pretty good place."

Only a myopic soccer fan could conclude that soccer is in a good place - barely able to sustain a ten team comp with absolutely zero competition from the main football codes for much of its season.

He wants to see soccer do well, and that's fine, that's the right of every soccer fan - but he is pulling out the same old paranoid fantasies about everyone being out to get them, AFL fans not giving soccer a fair go (does he know that half of all victory members are AFL members?), etc

For starters, he insists on calling soccer "football", so that's a bit of a giveaway.

How about this line: "So where does this leave football in Australia? On the one hand, considering where it’s been, it’s in a pretty good place."

Only a myopic soccer fan could conclude that soccer is in a good place - barely able to sustain a ten team comp with absolutely zero competition from the main football codes for much of its season.

He wants to see soccer do well, and that's fine, that's the right of every soccer fan - but he is pulling out the same old paranoid fantasies about everyone being out to get them, AFL fans not giving soccer a fair go (does he know that half of all victory members are AFL members?), etc
What about the gratuitous crack at ron barrassi? I'm indifferent to soccer, but its boosters don't do it any favours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fun parts for mine -
Many things

The response to this post on my blog was typical

Really firstly you are comparing the AFL with the A league. One is only 11 years young the other an established institution. Admittedly each sport learns from each other and football being the biggest sport on the planet these Australian based sports will copy good practice and football all over the planet has examples everywhere . The Australian market is extremely small and the future will be to be able to tap into bigger markets and football is well placed to do that. When you talk of media this has to include online, social media etc and football dominates this in fact the facebook page if fox football has more likes then fox sports Australia . That’s just an example. Football has the biggest media presence of any sport. This includes a league EPL la liga ,seria a , ACL, champions league, copa America especially now the USA is involved, World Cup qualifiers , World Cup, Asian cup, Euros . Please warn you speak if media it’s not just Australian based and as a website please report openly and without prejudice. Like reporting on true memberships not one gamers etc.as the AFL feed you. Football has never been more popular here in Oz 99000 in July at the G is an example

They dont believe they are the small fish in the pond here. They are the big fish in a pond that is simply too small - but if the pond was bigger then damn theyd take over it all.

Yeah the soccer crowd have a tendency to be grossly optimistic in regard to the future of their sport. I think they actually believe it too - for decades they've been predicting the downfall of the major codes and the rise of soccer to number 1, yet the reality is that they are as far away from that as ever. The A-League seems to be on a downward spiral (although maybe my view might be a tad clouded given the complete non-entity the Glory have become over here).

Big bash started this week, and the A-League national average audience on SBS last night was 39k, with another 40k on Fox. Meanwhile the BBL rated 664k and 858k for the 2 sessions. It's like Joes corner deli trying to suggest that they're going to take over Coles.

Yeah the soccer crowd have a tendency to be grossly optimistic in regard to the future of their sport. I think they actually believe it too - for decades they've been predicting the downfall of the major codes and the rise of soccer to number 1, yet the reality is that they are as far away from that as ever. The A-League seems to be on a downward spiral (although maybe my view might be a tad clouded given the complete non-entity the Glory have become over here).

Big bash started this week, and the A-League national average audience on SBS last night was 39k, with another 40k on Fox. Meanwhile the BBL rated 664k and 858k for the 2 sessions. It's like Joes corner deli trying to suggest that they're going to take over Coles.

39k on a Friday night on FTA?!
you gotta be kidding me?

39k on a Friday night on FTA?!
you gotta be kidding me?
Yeah, but it is SBS and it was a shitty Newcastle-Adelaide game. A-league officials can't or haven't figured out how to promote their best game on a Friday night free-to-air audience, it's usually a Saturday night 7:30pm FOXsports game.

As for the soccer/football debate, I don't think anybody disputes that soccer is the biggest and most popular sport worldwide, however in Australia it's clearly in 3rd or 4th place after AFL, NRL and maybe ARU codes. The deception occurs when the A-league's appeal is mixed up with soccer's overall international appeal. Even the most die-hard A-league fan knows that it is a long way behind AFL and NRL at present, but the last 10 years have been better than what came before.

Yeah, but it is SBS and it was a shitty Newcastle-Adelaide game. A-league officials can't or haven't figured out how to promote their best game on a Friday night free-to-air audience, it's usually a Saturday night 7:30pm FOXsports game.

Yeah, that appears to be the case. But it's still indicative of the general interest (even the big teams playing don't get much more of an audience), and you may recall a couple of years ago quite a few people were spruiking the A-League on FTA as a 'game changer' and how it's going to be the start of soccer's dominance.

By even the lowest possible standard it's been an complete failure, but (arguably to their credit) the blind optimism remains.

I give you exhibit A:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-any-afl-rivarly.1119977/page-3#post-42378724

These people genuinely believe it. This is a game that had a national TV audience (including regionals) of 76k. And there are people that actually believe it's this massive rivalry unmatched by any other game in any other sport. The Womens big bash game yesterday had over double the audience (admittedly on One, but it's not like the A-League would have got that many if on FTA).

Even the most die-hard A-league fan knows that it is a long way behind AFL and NRL at present, but the last 10 years have been better than what came before.

This is precisely why we are talking about it, because many A-League fans do believe the competition is big and merits more media interest and a better broadcast deal, etc, etc.

In fact, if you read the hype about the wanderers, you'd think they were some giant club bigger than Collingwood - and not something which struggles to attract 50k ratings on fox.

Yeah, that appears to be the case. But it's still indicative of the general interest (even the big teams playing don't get much more of an audience), and you may recall a couple of years ago quite a few people were spruiking the A-League on FTA as a 'game changer' and how it's going to be the start of soccer's dominance.

By even the lowest possible standard it's been an complete failure, but (arguably to their credit) the blind optimism remains.

I give you exhibit A:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...-any-afl-rivarly.1119977/page-3#post-42378724

These people genuinely believe it. This is a game that had a national TV audience (including regionals) of 76k. And there are people that actually believe it's this massive rivalry unmatched by any other game in any other sport. The Womens big bash game yesterday had over double the audience (admittedly on One, but it's not like the A-League would have got that many if on FTA).

The A-league has come a long way since it was first established, and I commend the FFA for much of what they've achieved with it. However I've never really bought into the 'game changer' and 'dominance' aspects of this increased media coverage - to me that was just hype. Early days and still a long way to go for the A-league to develop before it's a credible challenger to AFL and NRL. Then again, why should it be expected to be at that level already? I don't see the A-league at this point in time as anything more than a solid 3rd place in the football codes behind the aforementioned AFL/NRL, and I really don't think there's anything wrong with that.

As for exhibit A, that's quite laughable. I am a Victory fan, but I don't agree with that thread's contention at all.

This is precisely why we are talking about it, because many A-League fans do believe the competition is big and merits more media interest and a better broadcast deal, etc, etc.

In fact, if you read the hype about the wanderers, you'd think they were some giant club bigger than Collingwood - and not something which struggles to attract 50k ratings on fox.
I've partly addressed your comments in my post above, but I guess I place myself in the minority of A-league fans that are a little more realistic about its place in the sporting and media landscape at this point in time. Melbourne Victory and West Sydney Wanderers are the success stories of the A-league... more questions need to be asked about why the other teams are struggling so much.

Since the "fan boycott" has "ended" they have had 2 crowds over 11k and an average under 10k. It's a s**t house league.

Last year after round 11 their crowd average it was 14.5. This year it's 11.8k.

Since the "fan boycott" has "ended" they have had 2 crowds over 11k and an average under 10k. It's a s**t house league.

Last year after round 11 their crowd average it was 14.5. This year it's 11.8k.

the mariners ended up with a home attendance yesterday which looked pretty similar to the attendance they got during the "fan boycott"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back