Autopsy Round 17, 2022: Hawthorn wins its 1000th game with a win over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Felt this this game saw us taking off far more lower/bullet passes successfully.
Thought Scrim and Newc in particular fired off some absolute rockets.

I actually think this was Scrimms best game for the season.

Nash had a blinder, as did Harry and Moore.

I have been one of the more vocal people about having Impey dropped but his move to the forward line was great. If he had his kicking boots on he would have kicked a bag.

Finn and Morris both showed their worth- Morris should remain in the side to take on the WCE smalls as we need more defenders who are defensively oriented.

Big Boy makes us stand taller. Was stoked he came back in, can see him retaining a list spot/working at the club post retirement.

Ward was definitely slow to warm into the game- a couple of times I felt he would have put his head over the ball but instead pulled back, that'll come with time.

CMac's fitness is going to be key to our success. He might not get a rising star nom this year, but I'm a staunch believer that he is one of the most talented kids to come from last years draft. Hopefully he moves into the midfield more permanently in the next year or two.

JOM had an underrated game I feel. Really embracing the team-first approach to footy and I think this game allowed him to exploit a lot of his opponents on the turnover.
Stiff on Ward, really came into the game. Looked a much more confident, composed and silky player in the 2nd half.

His ceiling is endless and it's all about getting him some confidence and now continuity. Played mainly wing, so next step is putting him in the middle again and get him a big game.

He's a freak footballer, some of his talents are just simply not teachable. Got to unlock!

Watch it again. His game was error ridden as it has been most games this season
Only had 4 turnovers, criticism on Scrimshaw has been warranted more often lately but yesterday was one of his better efforts.

Only had 4 turnovers, criticism on Scrimshaw has been warranted more often lately but yesterday was one of his better efforts.
Now that O'Brien has left, Howe & Hartigan are most likely on the way out and young Harry playing great footy the whipping boy group is becoming threadbare next season. So we need to start laying the foundations for the next group.

Start with players down back by highlighting one glaring mistake (classic Howe) or allowing a goal to be kicked when others in the backline lose structure (Hartigan). Next will be the attacks on Kosi for failing to take marks (O'Brien)......

Good win after a lengthy drought.

A few random thoughts

Thought Lewis was our most important player set the win up in the 1st half.

Moore was great for 4 qtrs, unsure why it has taken so long to get him back into the midfield after a game earlier in the year where he played Mid and was outstanding.

Morrison having a career best year, most improved player in my eyes. Really hoping he has another level in him.

it was pleasing this week we had players willing us over the line and a vast improved performance from some of our leaders at no stage against GWS did our leaders look like getting us over the line. This week we never looked like losing.

Winning the free kick count is just insane.

Hardwick outstanding does he ever play a bad one

Thought some of his efforts from late in the 2nd and in the 3rd were poor

Good win after a lengthy drought.

A few random thoughts

Thought Lewis was our most important player set the win up in the 1st half.

Moore was great for 4 qtrs, unsure why it has taken so long to get him back into the midfield after a game earlier in the year where he played Mid and was outstanding.

Morrison having a career best year, most improved player in my eyes. Really hoping he has another level in him.

it was pleasing this week we had players willing us over the line and a vast improved performance from some of our leaders at no stage against GWS did our leaders look like getting us over the line. This week we never looked like losing.

Winning the free kick count is just insane.

Hardwick outstanding does he ever play a bad one
You are right about the free kicks. I thought we got more than our fair share of the 50/50 decisions. A nice change, but it is interesting that the board goes quiet on the umpiring when things go our way. It might be different on the Adelaide board. Can't be bothered looking but if anyone has, is there a feeling that the umpiring cost them the game?

Crows are in a similar spot rebuild wise so it was good to see how well our young guys are tracking. I look at a team like Freo and don’t see why we can’t rise up the ladder like them in 2 years time. Once all our young guys have 50-100 games things are going to click and we’ll be greater than the sum of our parts.

We could have easily been blown away in the second half, arresting momentum still a huge issue. We don’t really have a plan B - I’m thinking this will come once Sammy is happy with our super attacking plan A.

Blanck is taking the pizz what a find - can’t believe how good he is with the footy and equally spoiling/closing speed. He was seeing them like beach balls yesterday ✅

Reckon Blanck, DGB and Sicily need to play as a trio each week now. Dunno where that leaves Frosty but it’s a good problem to have.

Look at Dawson's last three weeks prior to today:

30 touches (inc. 25 kicks), 10 marks, 1 goal, 144 SC points (1st)

29 touches (inc. 23 kicks), 7 marks, 134 SC points (2nd)

32 touches (inc. 22 kicks), 6 marks, 1 goal, 140 SC points (1st)

But today against Finn - 15 touches (inc. 9 kicks), 1 mark, 80 SC points (which can largely be attributed to his 10 tackles)

He's also one of the very best kicks in the competition - in terms of distance, penetration and accuracy. He really is rivalled by Sicily and few else.

He did a superb job on Adelaide's most damaging player. There were no easy outside marks in space, and he not only reduced the sheer number of Dawson's touches, but also reduced the % of kicks per possession dramatically.

Absolutely smashed Langdon too. Hide yo wingers.

Absolutely smashed Langdon too. Hide yo wingers.
There isn't a player in the AFL that would be able to work away from Maginness, he may have weaknesses in the football department but his combination of speed, strength and endurance makes him a troubling match up for anyone in the comp.

When it comes together it's a beautiful thing.
We get our tails up and fly forward.

We don't drop our bundle when the tide turns - the effort and tackling and two way running is still off - but it's like we lose calibration and it takes a loooong time to get back.

2 rucks makes the biggest difference. I think Ned will be handy for the odd goal and his tap work is going to be excellent.

There really isn't much dead wood on our list - but there are a LOT of players that need at least another season to be able to lead the game and win their position while also working well with teammates.

Sicily was a lot of fun to watch. Really made me happy to see Tex try and rough him up and our guy just did not react at all. Tex was throwing everything into it and Sicily did not even give him the respect of looking at him. Hilarious. Awesome. Solid. Arrogant in my favourite way.

Scrimshaw has unbelievable skills - his hands are just so fast and his creativity in a contested situation is unreal. Really obvious now why he was a top 10 pick.

Blanck, Newcombe, CJ, Lewis, Moore, Reeves, Nash - the recruitment department have some kind of talent in making lemonade from lemons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting to get really excited about our prospects over the next few years.

Massive pressure now on the whole team in respect of 1st team spots will drive the team to further improvement.

None of the team that played yesterday deserve to be dropped. But we need to find space in the side for all of the following when they are back from injury/suspension:
  • Day, Wingard, Gunston and Bramble - definite ins when fit
  • Worpel, Butler and Frost - Fringe 22
  • Phillips and Lynch - depth in their respective positions
  • Serong, Long, O'Hara, Downie, Callow, Jeka, Ramsden, S.Mitchell, Saunders - long-term prospects that may or may not make it

Shiels, Howe and Hartigan are the only names i would delist (or respectfully retire in the case of Shiels) and Brockman sounds like he is gone.
Replace those 4 names with Amon, a FA (Brayshaw pls), and early draft picks - the rebuild is well on the way.

Does anyone know the time spent in midfield for Moore vs forward?
Well he was in the middle for 15 of 20 centre bounces, and his possessions were roughly 50/50 defensive half to forward half.

Well he was in the middle for 15 of 20 centre bounces, and his possessions were roughly 50/50 defensive half to forward half.
Yeah thought it’d be something like that, higher disposals but no score tells the story too. I wish we had two of him, is an extremely dangerous small forward but could be a very damaging midfielder too…

You are right about the free kicks. I thought we got more than our fair share of the 50/50 decisions. A nice change, but it is interesting that the board goes quiet on the umpiring when things go our way. It might be different on the Adelaide board. Can't be bothered looking but if anyone has, is there a feeling that the umpiring cost them the game?
I never realised how much of a difference it made getting a free kick at the precise moment one was needed. It kept the momentum going as the new Hawks gameplan revolves around forward movement at all costs. One free against can catch you out of position too easily. I have no doubt the free kicks had a bearing on the flow of the Hawks game. Bulldogs and, to an extent Geelong, always seem to get a free when most needed or it feels like that when playing us.

B
Starting to get really excited about our prospects over the next few years.

Massive pressure now on the whole team in respect of 1st team spots will drive the team to further improvement.

None of the team that played yesterday deserve to be dropped. But we need to find space in the side for all of the following when they are back from injury/suspension:
  • Day, Wingard, Gunston and Bramble - definite ins when fit
  • Worpel, Butler and Frost - Fringe 22
  • Phillips and Lynch - depth in their respective positions
  • Serong, Long, O'Hara, Downie, Callow, Jeka, Ramsden, S.Mitchell, Saunders - long-term prospects that may or may not make it

Shiels, Howe and Hartigan are the only names i would delist (or respectfully retire in the case of Shiels) and Brockman sounds like he is gone.
Replace those 4 names with Amon, a FA (Brayshaw pls), and early draft picks - the rebuild is well on the way.
Butler aint Fringe

What stood out to me was how much of an impact our midfield had on our attacking defenders. Think our backline really shines offensively when we half the contest, get us a competitive midfield and they will be extremely good.

Personally think we would get more out of shelving day to the gym for the remainder of the season and allowing Morris to have a stint in the 1s - both furthers development and day gets some much needed size.

Impey up forward and through the middle of the ground, wowee don't change that spot for him for the rest of the year - semi makes chad position/role non required though...

Also wtf Blanck, his bloody good.

Stiff on Ward, really came into the game. Looked a much more confident, composed and silky player in the 2nd half.

His ceiling is endless and it's all about getting him some confidence and now continuity. Played mainly wing, so next step is putting him in the middle again and get him a big game.

He's a freak footballer, some of his talents are just simply not teachable. Got to unlock!
Scrim had a good game except for about 10-15 minutes in the 3rd he would rather forget with 3 successive turnovers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back