Autopsy Round 17, 2022: Hawthorn wins its 1000th game with a win over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Stiff on Morris, thought he was good, outside of his kick to CMac v Doods.

He's a classy player and user, he's got pace, smarts and toughness. It's a great mix for a defender.

Me too. Based on that game I’d have him over bramble in the back half, in the absence of frost. Great one on one in the contest and overhead, and aggressive. That kick was pretty bad though …. ball use down the back is so important.

Highlights:
Newcombe's torp
Nash's tackle
Sic's tackle
Moore in the midfield (and smother)
Hardwick
Sorry, still drunk, but, Newcombe’s absolute nipple seeking missile while pinned on the boundary and Finn’s release kick to Kosi deserve a mention at least..

Impey forward, Moorey in the guts and Finn tagging MUST be permanent. Great structural changes. Impey is a natural forward and provided something different which i enjoyed. I don't know how we can fit him, Breust, Wingard and Butler all in the same forward line though.

Look at Dawson's last three weeks prior to today:

30 touches (inc. 25 kicks), 10 marks, 1 goal, 144 SC points (1st)

29 touches (inc. 23 kicks), 7 marks, 134 SC points (2nd)

32 touches (inc. 22 kicks), 6 marks, 1 goal, 140 SC points (1st)

But today against Finn - 15 touches (inc. 9 kicks), 1 mark, 80 SC points (which can largely be attributed to his 10 tackles)

He's also one of the very best kicks in the competition - in terms of distance, penetration and accuracy. He really is rivalled by Sicily and few else.

He did a superb job on Adelaide's most damaging player. There were no easy outside marks in space, and he not only reduced the sheer number of Dawson's touches, but also reduced the % of kicks per possession dramatically.

Last edited:
He needs to adjust then. Don’t be so predictable, get rid of it earlier, adjust to the space and time, don’t be so predictable.
Still only 35 games under his belt.
Double that and he will be better again.

CJ’s decision making in games earlier in the season was noticeably improved and his kicking was quite damaging (for us). May have lost his way a little with the injuries. Don’t think it’s completely lost - just needs to find his touch again.

Sicily with another 23 possession and 13 mark game today.

I know we are used to it by now but he is putting together some kind of year is the Blonde Prince.
Fixed up Tex too after the 1st Qtr. Just couldn't go with him aerobically. Tex was a selfish git most of the night and I laughed when he got stuck into Sis after the late bump in the last qtr than proceeded to go for the glory goal instead of trying to pass it and shanked it. Copped a deserving serve from the supporters too.

CJ’s decision making in games earlier in the season was noticeably improved and his kicking was quite damaging (for us). May have lost his way a little with the injuries. Don’t think it’s completely lost - just needs to find his touch again.
It's not just CJ. Many times he would go for a run and nobody presented up to him or provided a lead for him to kick into space. The one just before 3 Qtr time is a classic example. Should be able to read what he is doing better in that situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me too. Based on that game I’d have him over bramble in the back half, in the absence of frost. Great one on one in the contest and overhead, and aggressive. That kick was pretty bad though …. ball use down the back is so important.
I'd wear that though because he was being aggressive with his ball use just didn't come off but I liked his attack. Looked much better as a defender and we need another hard nut down there with Dimma.

Much better game. Great game from JOM, Sic, Lewis, Breust, Moore, Macca, Newk, Nash and Morrison. Kosi showing signs of getting back to his best. Very happy with Morris and Blanck.

Worried about Scrimshaw. Decision making is elite but execution way off. Can't afford to have both him and CJ turning it over coming out if defence.

Congrats on the 1000th win :D
Scrimshaw this season is our 5th highest DE% and CJ the 6th both on a season avg of 79.2%. Blank and DGB above them on a lot less games and Sicily and Hardwick just above them on 80.9 and 80.8 respectively. Don't know what players you are looking at but it mustn't be the same ones I am.

Scrimshaw this season is our 5th highest DE% and CJ the 6th both on a season avg of 79.2%. Blank and DGB above them on a lot less games and Sicily and Hardwick just above them on 80.9 and 80.8 respectively. Don't know what players you are looking at but it mustn't be the same ones I am.
Backmen are always higher in DE. The annoying part for me is that them messing around with it always cost a goal or 2 a week. Sicily is usually the worst culprit for this although this week it was Scrimshaw

Much better game. Great game from JOM, Sic, Lewis, Breust, Moore, Macca, Newk, Nash and Morrison. Kosi showing signs of getting back to his best. Very happy with Morris and Blanck.

Worried about Scrimshaw. Decision making is elite but execution way off. Can't afford to have both him and CJ turning it over coming out if defence.

Congrats on the 1000th win :D
Terrible take mate. Scrimshaw had one errant kick. He's an elite kick and decision maker..

Absolutely, our defense was very good today as a unit. Need Morris and Hardwick to play on Rioli/Ryan.

Day would come in for Maginness tbh, as harsh as it seems which puts Day on a wing and Gunston for Kosi?

Day as a defender for Morris, Finn stays. Gunner for Reeves/Kozzie. Those would be my 2 changes. Would like to squeeze Butler in too if he’s fit but don’t want Ward/McDonald out of the side.

Good to see Duke, Moore and Lewis at the heart of the first half smashing. The 3 biggest shining lights of the year and key pillars of the medium and long term future.

Day as a defender for Morris, Finn stays. Gunner for Reeves/Kozzie. Those would be my 2 changes. Would like to squeeze Butler in too if he’s fit but don’t want Ward/McDonald out of the side.

Good to see Duke, Moore and Lewis at the heart of the first half smashing. The 3 biggest shining lights of the year and key pillars of the medium and long term future.
I wanna keep Morris, it's key to see whether he's up to it or not and he seems to bring something different down there, I'm confident myself Finn makes it, i'd prefer he plays full time mid as at Box Hill and that means Day gets on a wing.

Thought we were really intense early which set the tone. Surprised Lyon said on MMM crows were witches hats, thought we made it happen. The high half forward rears it’s head without Jack. Though it would be gifting a game after watching Serong Saturday I wonder he should just play at the next level.

Both Scrim and CJ had some bad disposals but that happens in every team - overall good performance really want to see Morris and Finn get a run at it. Hartigan surely papers marked now. Loved seeing impey back to his best we need him playing like that and Morrison was excellent especially in the first half.

Last edited:
It was a good win, but the quality wasn't great after halftime. I found both teams' performances quite sloppy and saw a lot of errors that top teams wouldn't make. At the moment, it's just a lot of the basics that we're not doing properly. It's easy to see why both teams are in the bottom half. You could still see the midfield needs improvement. However, it was good to witness and attend our victory in person, and hopefully, this victory keeps morale high amongst the group. Hopefully, we can get our first back-to-back victories since rounds 1 and 2.

Felt this this game saw us taking off far more lower/bullet passes successfully.
Thought Scrim and Newc in particular fired off some absolute rockets.

I actually think this was Scrimms best game for the season.

Nash had a blinder, as did Harry and Moore.

I have been one of the more vocal people about having Impey dropped but his move to the forward line was great. If he had his kicking boots on he would have kicked a bag.

Finn and Morris both showed their worth- Morris should remain in the side to take on the WCE smalls as we need more defenders who are defensively oriented.

Big Boy makes us stand taller. Was stoked he came back in, can see him retaining a list spot/working at the club post retirement.

Ward was definitely slow to warm into the game- a couple of times I felt he would have put his head over the ball but instead pulled back, that'll come with time.

CMac's fitness is going to be key to our success. He might not get a rising star nom this year, but I'm a staunch believer that he is one of the most talented kids to come from last years draft. Hopefully he moves into the midfield more permanently in the next year or two.

JOM had an underrated game I feel. Really embracing the team-first approach to footy and I think this game allowed him to exploit a lot of his opponents on the turnover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back