Autopsy Round 17, 2022: Hawthorn wins its 1000th game with a win over the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Good write up in the HUN on why we all love Hardwick so much:

"Hawks people are amazed that Blake Hardwick is never in the discussion for All-Australian selection. They have a point. This year the nugget small defender has kept Toby Greene goalless, Cody Weightman goalless, Izak Rankine to one goal and Bayley Fritsch goalless. All up, and give or take a goal or two, Hardwick, according to Champion Data, has given up only 12 goals to his direct opponents in 16 games this year. That’s sensational defending in a team that has won five games and is ranked 16th for points against."
Start the campaign, Hardwick for All Australian. Would be a chance

Experienced heads all played well, resulting in a win - all of Sis, Hardwick, TOM, JOM, Bruest played well. Morisson really belonging, Ward starting to show his composure, and by far Impey’s best game of the year.

Morris probably the one that struggled a little to adjust his disposal to the pace of the game, but good to see him get a good run at it. Some hard attack on the ball.

All around pleasing performance
Stiff on Morris, thought he was good, outside of his kick to CMac v Doods.

He's a classy player and user, he's got pace, smarts and toughness. It's a great mix for a defender.

Stiff on Morris, thought he was good, outside of his kick to CMac v Doods.

He's a classy player and user, he's got pace, smarts and toughness. It's a great mix for a defender.
He was good. He missed a couple of kicks and at least one handball. I’ve been calling for him to come in, so I’m a fan… but he needs more games to pick up the pace at this level. He’s a better kick than he showed today

He was good. He missed a couple of kicks and at least one handball. I’ve been calling for him to come in, so I’m a fan… but he needs more games to pick up the pace at this level. He’s a better kick than he showed today
Absolutely, our defense was very good today as a unit. Need Morris and Hardwick to play on Rioli/Ryan.

Day would come in for Maginness tbh, as harsh as it seems which puts Day on a wing and Gunston for Kosi?

"Hawks people are amazed that Blake Hardwick is never in the discussion for All-Australian selection. They have a point. This year the nugget small defender has kept Toby Greene goalless, Cody Weightman goalless, Izak Rankine to one goal and Bayley Fritsch goalless. All up, and give or take a goal or two, Hardwick, according to Champion Data, has given up only 12 goals to his direct opponents in 16 games this year. That’s sensational defending in a team that has won five games and is ranked 16th for points against."

Crazy part is I'd say this has been one of his shakier seasons compared to seasons past. Still excellent but not his best.

Just goes to show how high of a standard we come to expect from Dimma.

He’s always been this good too - glad the media are paying attention finally!

3 things stood out for mind.
Finally 2 rucks. Knock effects all round the ground. Kosi stays fwd. Nash can stay in midfield and extra tall helping out backs.
Finally an extra tall down back. DGB as extra tall and Sicily can be freed up and be 3rd tall. Results were obvious.
Finally used a tagger. Finn has done great tagging roles a couple of times this year and Sam then tosses the tactic. Not sure why. But the best player on the oppo being deleted is pretty handy.

Great to see a win and was a great team effort. Finn played really well and like others such as Moore and CJ just needs time, will get better and better. Blank awesome signs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been drinking all day because I caught up with family I haven’t seen for a long, long time (obviously, der), just watched the game now, everyone in the squad should get 10 year contracts at heaps per year. But honestly, even though it was Adelaide in Melbourne, there were some very nice things by players in brown and gold, I remember telling myself to note the things so I could post about them on Big Footy but that was a s**t tactic.

I feel today shows we’ve probably really under estimated McEvoys presence that we’ve missed, his ability to get behind the ball and slow their play was huge.
Other than our 3rd qtr, we were strong for much of the game. We held firm under their pressure generally and held our lead

A lot to work on, a lot to like.
Overall, a wins a win.

Re CJ - certain opposition coaches have told players just to chase him when he goes on his runs as he’ll likely turn it over due to the speed he is running at. WIP I guess.
He needs to adjust then. Don’t be so predictable, get rid of it earlier, adjust to the space and time, don’t be so predictable.

Moore also had a good game as a midfielder earlier in the year, against Melbourne I think.

We should definitely keep exploring with that.

It's just he offers so much as a high half forward too...

Need two of him.

He needs to adjust then. Don’t be so predictable, get rid of it earlier, adjust to the space and time, don’t be so predictable.
He needs to be aware of it before he can adjust.

Hopefully, he is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back