Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 19 vs. Essendon, Sun 24/07, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that a serious question? In a word, maintenance- but that is pretty simplistic. Point is to obtain physiological gains, you need load followed by rest. To give benefit the load will be sufficient to bring on big fatigue, you rest and that is when the “body gets better”. In season players want to be fully rested at game time to perform.

This means they can’t carry big loads into a game and need to recover after. So they don’t have as much opportunity to load. And it takes months to make gains - the point was around Carmichael not making gains this season. He won’t, not to any serious level.

There is a lot more to it than that, but that’s it in a nutshell.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks, was feeling some patronizing neglect, but that’s fixed now.

The bummers might try to tag Nick - he'll just slice and dice whoever plays on him.
I think they're almost certain to tag him. They seemed to employ run-with roles on Miller & Rankine on the weekend to great effect, so it will be interesting to see how Nick handles it. He certainly has the work-rate, but his lack of strength so early in his career might limit his ability to get separation at stoppages etc.

I think they're almost certain to tag him. They seemed to employ run-with roles on Miller & Rankine on the weekend to great effect, so it will be interesting to see how Nick handles it. He certainly has the work-rate, but his lack of strength so early in his career might limit his ability to get separation at stoppages etc.
We can always push him forward…less disposals, more goals…hurt them a different way.

Did Jen2310 mention Grundy was training with the forwards since getting back on the track? Might this be a clue as to how he'll be eased back in after his long lay-off? Would allow Cameron/Cox to continue their winning roles in the ruck and around the ground.

Apparently there is a non-official VFL practice match of some form happening though.

Yeah, I’m assuming that’ll be an internal thing so not sure how that varies much from match simulation at senior training which he’s been doing now for a couple of weeks.

Did Jen2310 mention Grundy was training with the forwards since getting back on the track? Might this be a clue as to how he'll be eased back in after his long lay-off? Would allow Cameron/Cox to continue their winning roles in the ruck and around the ground.
I’d be surprised if we ran with 3 rucks. Cox will likely make way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He does, and I fully expect he won’t be dropped, but his last month has not been good at all.

Crisp won't be dropped because he has enormous utility in defence; he can be switched.

I agree with your assessment of his recent performances.

I haven't watched the VFL game but read somewhere that Henry got a few cheap goals. is that right?
No He worked hard for what he got and he also worked hard for the team, he could have kicked 6 easily, as Jathanas said Johnson has an afl ready body and Henry,s is not ready for the load he has had to carry.

I was more wondering if they might play Grundy permanent forward?
I doubt it. That’s not really an experiment that should be done in must win games like these, at least not without exposed form playing the role in the VFL.

grundy is good match up for draper id have thought
I think you are right Draper is a physical ruck and I think we might need Grundy,s strength to combat him otherwise I can see him dominating.

Ps a straight swap Grundy for Cox, Cox unlucky but we need Grundy,s strength against Draper IMO.

I would give Grundy at least one week of match simulation given there is no VFL. I don’t want him playing first up against Draper who injured him last time. I think Ginnivan dyes his hair back to original colour and spends a week in the match sim getting his confidence back. In comes Q and Adam’s for Ruscoe and Ginnivan. Bianco played well and should be rewarded.

I was more wondering if they might play Grundy permanent forward?
It’s unlikely. I’d say he’s training more with the forward group in order to upskill. The logic in playing your $1m ruckman as a permanent forward when he’s a better ruckman than Cameron and worse forward than Cameron is a bit backwards if you ask me…

I’m a no to Grundy playing in the Sunday scrimmage. heck knows what he gets out of a proper VFL hitout let alone what amounts to another training session with the VFL players.

Out:Ruscoe, Carmichael, Henry (sub)
In: IQ, Adams, Grundy (Cox to sub)

I think we can afford to have Cox as a sub, albeit he can only play 2 positions on the ground.

Grundy to assume Coxs role as a forward ruck and allow Cameron to run out most of the game as a ruckman.

Ruscoe, unlucky - but just not as good as Quaynor. Hasn’t really done anything wrong but he’s a depth player.

Carmichael, he’s had a taste but his DE is worse than Adams’. Will be better for the run and again proving as good depth come post season.

Henry, unused last week but was able to play a full game in the VFL. Would have taken Johnson to get dropped to be a walk up start but Johnson did enough last week. Didn’t do much defensively in the VFL, which is presumably why he was dropped. I think he is in our best side and will likely replace WHE next week based on form.

Parish always plays well against Collingwood and he won't be there, but we have played better without him in recent weeks.

I'm expecting a close game and I suspect the Pies might be due for a loss.
Pies will outnumber essendon fans 2 to 1.

Does Grundy come straight in for Cox with no VFL this week?
Imagine the outcry if he replaces Cox then goes on to look devoid of match practice and we lose the game! Smashed in the ruck and clearances, Ginnivan consistently denied frees that are given to others - the black and white army may indeed become one. If a case can be mounted for playing all three against Melbourne, then let's do it. Tell the three rucks they are competing for their spot. Give each a quarter on the ball, then announce the 2 winners by having them share duties in the last quarter.

A few Bombres fans chirping about finals still a possibility for them

Would be sweet to put a nail in that coffin. Sheedy the only coach to lead them to a finals win in last 50 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back