Preview Changes/Preview v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Brown injured or is he ready to go?

I know it's a choice between two spuds when it comes to Brown and TMac, but at least he's a different type of player to JVR and might not get in his way as much. Just tell Brown to get on the leads all day and leave JVR to contest for marks.

I trust him to snag a few cheapies every week from frees, which is still more than TMac offers.
He's looked as cooked as one of Trac's tiktoks lately. Don't see him offering half of TMc. Would prefer rolling the dice with JSmith or roll with a smaller setup.

out- TMac, Harmes
in- Turner, Hunter

i'd lose a tall up forward, and put an extra tall down back so i don't have to watch Lever drop marks all day, and May get sucked up the ground.
use Gawn at FF more, get JVR up the ground a bit for some easier ball at times. Fritsch too. give Chandler a shot at leading out of the goal square instead, something he's done well in the VFL.
give someone like Bowey or McVee a go in the midfield or HFF and see how that goes.
give Laurie, Howes, or Woewodin a go as the sub instead of Jordon and see what they can do. we know what JJ can do, and it aint much. if nothing else it's good education for the young guys.
try some different stuff FFS.
they waited till the last 5 minutes today before moving Fritsch up the ground and Pickett to the goalsquare, two things that actually worked, but it was just done way too late.

He's looked as cooked as one of Trac's tiktoks lately. Don't see him offering half of TMc. Would prefer rolling the dice with JSmith or roll with a smaller setup.

Hmm. My concern with Smith is that he has such a low football IQ I just see him trying to take pack marks all day and getting in JVR's way.

Is Brown injured or is he ready to go?

I know it's a choice between two spuds when it comes to Brown and TMac, but at least he's a different type of player to JVR and might not get in his way as much. Just tell Brown to get on the leads all day and leave JVR to contest for marks.

I trust him to snag a few cheapies every week from frees, which is still more than TMac offers.
Yes I agree. The forward structure is broken, let's try something different. And yes, we all know Brown is limited but can be effective if we play to his strengths.

Why don't we drop TMac and play Brown. Ask Brown and Fritta to play opposite sides in the 50 and lead into space all day, leaving the goalsquare for JVR and space mid forward 50 to lead into. Tell the small forwards to hang 5m off the other guys. Also tell the forwards to stay at home more and not press up so high.

Tell the midfielders to slow down and take a breath when delivering the ball into the 50. Deliver the ball into space for forwards to lead to.

At the other end, Gawn to drop back in the hole like he used to to allow Lever and May to leave their man and chop off forays. Forget about resting the rucks forward.

Visceral reactions:
Out: May, JVR, Salem, Harmes, Petracca, Grundy, Viney, Lever, Lever, Lever, Spargo, Guts Brayshaw, Gawn, Langdon, Bowey, Jordon, McDonald, ANB, Fritsch, Pickett, Chandler

In: Hunter, Dr Oliver, Laurie, Milkshake, Shaq, Tomlinson, Jefferson, Howes, Adams, Dunstan RIP, J Smith, K Turner, D Smith, Sextent, T Woewodin, S Woewodin, Disco, Moniz-Wakefield, Oscar McDonald

Seems like for way too long we have had a set idea of a structure and just plugged guys into it. They need to change that up and ask how do we get the best out of May, Lever, Gawn, Oliver, Trac, Fritsch and Pickett.

May and lever need a lockdown defender to support them, Lever especially so he can dominate a 3rd tall spud. Oliver needs blokes to give it to. Seems like he's trying to do everything at once instead of us maximising his strength. Fritsch and Pickett are extremely dangerous with space and we give them none. Get some forwards who will be mobile and move the defence around not stand still with their arms in the air. If that means dropping a 5 blokes for kids who can play roles so be it. We don't need 22 blokes playing a 7/10 we need our superstars being superstars.

Kinda losing interest fast in this season knowing there's 0 chance of winning the flag. So I'm gonna say who cares. Won't matter who comes in or goes out. This is starting to look like a sinking ship

Have to bring in another key defender with them having Curnow, McKay and TDK. Hunter back too.

My changes:

Out - Brayshaw (form), Chandler (rest), McDonald (form), Jordan

In - Tomlinson, J Smith, Hunter, Laurie (sub)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve only managed to watch the first half so far of the VFL game.

Laurie was played almost exclusively as a forward. Only a couple of very short stints on the ball. That would go part way to explaining his lower numbers.

Howes had some centre square attendances which I’ve never seen before.

Tomlinson got plenty of the ball but had some stinker kicks early. He was taking kick outs so that inflated the numbers a bit, had some one twos as well.

Turner took a couple of nice intercept marks.

Brown almost got 20 touches based on the VFL app.

Woewodin was wing and on ball.

Can see us getting done comfortably against Carlton, can see their mids dominating and someone like Curnow getting off the chain, as bad as they are right now.

We just look so mediocre.

I’ve only managed to watch the first half so far of the VFL game.

Laurie was played almost exclusively as a forward. Only a couple of very short stints on the ball. That would go part way to explaining his lower numbers.

Howes had some centre square attendances which I’ve never seen before.

Tomlinson got plenty of the ball but had some stinker kicks early. He was taking kick outs so that inflated the numbers a bit, had some one twos as well.

Turner took a couple of nice intercept marks.

Brown almost got 20 touches based on the VFL app.

Woewodin was wing and on ball.

Anyone stand out?

How was Howes on the ball?

Was Brown moving well?

Can see us getting done comfortably against Carlton, can see their mids dominating and someone like Curnow getting off the chain, as bad as they are right now.

We just look so mediocre.

Another great chance to make coin - Blues at the line (18.5+)

Anyone stand out?

How was Howes on the ball?

Was Brown moving well?

Only on first half, Brown was actually decent at ground level and from the stats he got almost 20 touches.

Laurie made good decisions ball in hand.

But in short, nobody looked to be screaming for selection but perhaps Brown for McDonald and one of Tomlinson or Turner in given Carlton run a tall forward line.

I’ll try to watch the second half tonight.

Im not buying the Lever needs another tall back there narrative, dropping easy marks and making dumb decision doesnt change if we have 5 talls around him.

Im not buying the Lever needs another tall back there narrative, dropping easy marks and making dumb decision doesnt change if we have 5 talls around him.
Yeah I think it just simplifies it for him. He concentrate solely on marking and intercepting and not about his starting position. He's not as good at doing both. Especially because I think he needs the freedom to position others without worrying about himself

Yeah I think it just simplifies it for him. He concentrate solely on marking and intercepting and not about his starting position. He's not as good at doing both. Especially because I think he needs the freedom to position others without worrying about himself

If we need to do this so he can hold some marks he needs to hand back half his contract

If we need to do this so he can hold some marks he needs to hand back half his contract
I like lever but he's not out marking gun forwards in one on ones. He positions himself smart and reads it smart. But he's not a grimes type who can beat a man. That's May

Pretty sure we had this discussion last year re Lever . He is not a great one on one defender against a tall . Yesterday was just a shocker from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back