Prediction Changes: Round 21 Vs Brisbane Lions + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If Cox can get up to play then he delivers more than Hamling does, even when playing sore.
You don't rate Hamling, so I guess you would say that. I would gave gone with Hamling myself. Cox has been pretty ordinary at times this year and Hamling has been pretty good since coming in. Makes our defence look a little more solid. An inform, fit Cox, you go with Cox.

You don't rate Hamling, so I guess you would say that. I would gave gone with Hamling myself. Cox has been pretty ordinary at times this year and Hamling has been pretty good since coming in. Makes our defence look a little more solid. An inform, fit Cox, you go with Cox.

I think Hamling has enough in the tank to be a defensive stopper and Cox has that plus some more for offensive contributions.

There's no shame in that. I rate Cox as a better player than Hamling in 2023 yes.

A fit and in form Cox is.

Brennan Cox/Joel Hamling:
1/1 - Score involvements (how well the ball moves through the player)
3/1 - Contested marks
5/9 - Intercept possessions
207/197 - metres gained

Except that's not a direct comparison, that's the cumulative Joel Hamling of the last three games compared to Brennan Cox's last game where he went off injured before the end. Three whole games of footy up against three quarters of a game from Cox.

Cox offers far more offensive football than Hamling can at the moment.

Joel Hamling is effectively a tall defensive tagger and that can absolutely be worked with and can have a role at AFL level. Nothing wrong with that. It's basically what Logue was but in Hamling's case not quite the same sort of athlete and without Logue having been signed to such a massive deal I'd have said the way defenders like that get paid is to build a rebounding game in - which is why every club will pick the player who offers both sides of the footy too.

Brennan Cox/Joel Hamling:
1/1 - Score involvements (how well the ball moves through the player)
3/1 - Contested marks
5/9 - Intercept possessions
207/197 - metres gained

Except that's not a direct comparison, that's the cumulative Joel Hamling of the last three games compared to Brennan Cox's last game where he went off injured before the end. Three whole games of footy up against three quarters of a game from Cox.

Cox offers far more offensive football than Hamling can at the moment.
Defensively Hamling offers more than Cox especially one on one, imo he’s an intercept marker who zones off a bit like Mcgoven except Mcgoven can defend if he has to.

Defensively Hamling offers more than Cox especially one on one, imo he’s an intercept marker who zones off a bit like Mcgoven except Mcgoven can defend if he has to.

Let's add in more of those stats.

Hamling spoils the last three games: 7 average
Cox spoils the last game he played: 6

Total defensive one on ones:
Hamling = 8, lost 0
Cox = 6, lost 1

Again, that one on one stat for Hamling is cumulative for the last three games. His best defensive game was against Sydney where he had ten spoils, six defensive one on ones and didn't lose any.

Hamling averages less than half Cox's defensive one on one involvements, but he also hasn't lost any of those. But Cox only lost one so that losing stat might be a bit of an outlier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know no harm in giving Hamling a go in the forward line ( CHF). He is a really good mark and doesn't drop them constantly like Treacy. Not advocating for Treacy to be dropped, he is young with a bright future, he could play in the forward pocket or flank. He could alternate with Hamling off the bench

I think Hamling has enough in the tank to be a defensive stopper and Cox has that plus some more for offensive contributions.

There's no shame in that. I rate Cox as a better player than Hamling in 2023 yes.
His offensive contributions is overrated.
He’s a massive part of the slow ineffective ball movement. Takes too long, thinks he can make decisions but instead puts players under pressure.
He does take marks, yes. But just so slow and just moves back, and kicks it forward anyway.

Hamling has been very good. Be annoying to drop anyone for an underdone Cox.

He’s a massive part of the slow ineffective ball movement. Takes too long, thinks he can make decisions but instead puts players under pressure.
He does take marks, yes. But just so slow and just moves back, and kicks it forward anyway.

100% agree Cox has frustrated me massively this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do we think that the players almost universally holding it and then kicking long right up until last weekend where they started kicking short targets was all down to players?
Yes if the only player who has been prepared to run off from the backline has been Wagner. Has he been going against coaches instructions

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Fact. Cox can be a very beautiful footballer but also a very frustrating one as well.

Coxy was our MVP last year. Him being off, Pearce plainly playing injured, Hughes being on a wing, Chapman being mud then being injured and Walker working through some psychological damage was the rainy, wet part of the perfect storm that kicked off and whipped up when the midfield started being s**t.

I don't believe it's a complete coincidence that Pearce has played better with Hamling. Normally Pearce has to be Coxy's foil. Now he gets to zone off and play free while Hamling plays the straight bat.

It's all part of the art of maximising individual strengths and making the overall unit better.

I think people are extrapolating too much on a 3 game sample size where we went 1-2. Pearce was being dumped on the first two games he played with Hamling and Hamling has played as good depth should - did his role well but wasnt a difference maker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back