Preview 2024 AFLM Round One: Fremantle versus Brisbane (Sunday 17/3)

Remove this Banner Ad

So we have no lockdown defender for Cameron, perhaps taking away Clarke and our only encouraging spark off half back and we're trying the Cox forward Gambit again.

Hard to see how we get within 5 goals here
No Coleman or Neale. Brisbane started losing as soon as Coleman was injured.

Our defensive structure is going to be relying on lots of fallback from wings. If the ball hits the ground - Brisbane's smalls are going to town - we have very little speed - they have lots of it.
Is brisbane really that fast? Its not really what first comes to mind when I think of them, always saw them as more lumbering with some noteable exceptions.

So we have no lockdown defender for Cameron, perhaps taking away Clarke and our only encouraging spark off half back and we're trying the Cox forward Gambit again.

I mean, we nearly beat them last year with the Clark on Cameron match up and Corbett as the 3rd tall.

View attachment 1925619

After a long offseason and ~34 million words just on Bigfooty regarding the future of Justin Longmuir, the 2024 (men's) season proper has arrived. In our frequent Sunday afternoon slot (at the very weird time of 3:50pm), we commence our season against Brisbane. The team who we've beaten not once, but twice after the siren here in the West. First in 1997 when the late Quentin Leach nailed a goal after the bell at Subi. Then, more recently in 2019 when the great Sonny Walters hit the post to break the deadlock at Optus. Ah 2019, simpler times.

OUR OPPONENT:

Brisbane bring losing form into this match losing their last two games by a whopping 5 points in total. The Lions are expected to feature heavily in September again this season as they race the clock to break their premiership drought. As such, they'll be fired up to avoid the cursed 0-2 start to the season. The Lions are offensively superb with a potent forward line that boasted seven players with 20+ goals last year along with an engine room headed by one, L.Neale. However, they are missing arguably their two best young players through injury, Will Ashcroft and Keidean Coleman.

MATCHUP TO WATCH:

Luke Jackson vs Oscar McInerney: the Lions are heavily reliant on McInerney with their club adopting a one-ruck model for several seasons now. It's an approach we'll have to mirror with the injury to Sean Darcy. McInerney is a better tap ruck than Jackson, but Jackson is more nimble and adept with ball in hand. It will be interesting to see whether Jackson competes fully with McInerney at stoppages or if the Freo mids are happy sharking the lumbering Lion's taps.

WHAT WE NEED IN 2024:

A better game plan- the turgid, safe stuff has to go.
Fyfe playing more games than not.
Less Luke Ryan kick ins.
More goals from the midfield.
A Lachie Schultz replacement to step up.
More wins at home.
More Bailey Banfield Insta content.
A 'big fish' assistant coach to assist JLo if he's recontracted- Mark Williams/Adam Simpson type.

LET'S PLAY FREMONOPOLY:

View attachment 1925621
We start the season in near the middle of the board, just before free parking. (As an aside, if you're one of those people who give out money for landing on free parking, cut it out as it's Carlton-like behaviour shudder.) So, our aim this season is to jump as many teams as possible and approach premiership junction where Collingwood is located with Brissy close by. We'll also need to approach with caution as to what the Chance or Community Chest cards have in store for us, some examples below:
View attachment 1925628

CALL TO ARMS:

The injury list will probably never be shorter and the weather rarely more delightful as a supporter, so what better time to play the grand finalist of 2023. Fellow fans of the purple, it is time to do what we do best- pride, loyalty and passion. IT'S DOCKER TIME, BABY!

SEASON PREDICTION: 7th-10th​
Awesome, awesome preview.

Indeed I think fair to say that so far you have a MONOPOLY on the best season preview of the year 2024!! Well done!!

Sadly between Darcy being out, Brisbane being fired up and the coach basking in his extensive extension, I fear that our dice rolls will result in...

Board Games GIF by FoilArmsandHog

That's a bit myopic. We were never winning through our defence. We win this by dominating clearance, which has been boosted by Neale being out.

That's a bit myopic. We were never winning through our defence. We win this by dominating clearance, which has been boosted by Neale being out.
That's perhaps the only way though, and it's not encouraging if we can't win a clearance. Our mids are going to have to be sharking the majority of taps, though that's helped as LJ is decent at following up when he loses a tap.

I feel if we lose or even break even with the centre clearances we probably lose rather comfortably. We'll need to absolutely dominate the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it will be Clark agains Cameron. Clark played on the opposiions best small forward towards the end of last season. That means Aish and Hughes playing up the ground which Im not a fan of.
So Hughes plays on McCarthy (put him down for 4 goals at least)

That's perhaps the only way though, and it's not encouraging if we can't win a clearance. Our mids are going to have to be sharking the majority of taps, though that's helped as LJ is decent at following up when he loses a tap.

I feel if we lose or even break even with the centre clearances we probably lose rather comfortably. We'll need to absolutely dominate the middle

Big chance to win in the middle with Fyfe and Jackson in there together. That wouldn’t have happened too often last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Hughes plays on McCarthy (put him down for 4 goals at least)
Hughes played well last time we played Bris. We actually looked worse when he got injured and came off. Idk who he was on then but he needs to stay on them this game too.

I remember thinking this back in 2003. You'd remember the game Kappow ( because you're old). Home game win against Brisbane. It rained and Schammer had his best game for the club.

View attachment 1927994

Edit: from the archives

One of my all time favourites. Schammer slips, Aker makes him pay. Schammer immediately dances around him up the other end to return the favour. Medhurst puts us in front before McPharlin takes a hangar to save the game.

Good memory.

I remember thinking this back in 2003. You'd remember the game Kappow ( because you're old). Home game win against Brisbane. It rained and Schammer had his best game for the club.

View attachment 1927994

Edit: from the archives

Shawny Mack with a hell of a hip and shoulder and then kicking out on the full from 25 out a minute later. Gotta love the nostalgia

Oscar McDonald was good in the pre-season and Cox is a better forward than Voss and Taberner. I like the idea of Cox forward. Freo by 12 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back