Jacinta Allan - 49th Victorian Premier.

Remove this Banner Ad

I could not give less of a s**t about the Commonwealth Games saga if you paid me.

There's much worse s**t happening right now that none of you give a s**t about, but the comm games sends you into some sort of frothing frenzy

It was a terrible idea, they never should have bid, they're full of s**t and they've wasted money.

Beyond that * off

Cutting funding for a successful program that gets people out of homelessness, that's evil

Ankle monitors for 14 year olds, evil

That stuff worries me much more than stupid sport event doesn't go ahead

A lot of rambling there Gralin. RUOK?

I don't care about the Commonwealth Games but I do care that it cost us $600M to get out of the contract. What do we get for that $600M? NOTHING!! Just think how that $600M could have been spent.

As for ankle monitors, I don't know if they are a good idea, but if they discourage these teenage repeat offenders who have been pinged by Police for the same crimes 30+ times then they are worth a try

A lot of rambling there Gralin. RUOK?
not a very classy response there Sttew
I don't care about the Commonwealth Games but I do care that it cost us $600M to get out of the contract. What do we get for that $600M? NOTHING!! Just think how that $600M could have been spent.
so pretty much like the side note on EW link then hey

though lets not pretend they'd spend it well anyway

As for ankle monitors, I don't know if they are a good idea, but if they discourage these teenage repeat offenders who have been pinged by Police for the same crimes 30+ times then they are worth a try
yeah house arrest for minors, great give it a shot, of course you'd be ok with that one

not a very classy response there Sttew
It was a genuine question. Your posts of late have been offensive and un-Mod like. Mocking posts just for the sake of it and telling me to * off, for example. Making a stupid baseless statement like, "of course you'd be ok with that one", i.e, the use of ankle bracelets. Why would you say that?

so pretty much like the side note on EW link then hey
I did not raise the EW Link. But I do take umbrage when neo Marxists use it as justification for the billions wasted by the Andrews / Allen governments.
yeah house arrest for minors, great give it a shot, of course you'd be ok with that one
Instead of an offensive retort why don't you tell me how you propose dealing with the repeat offenders?? You know, the kids who have committed the same crimes 30+ times? I'm not saying ankle bracelets are the solution, and I didn't raise them.

Last edited:

It was a genuine question. Your posts of late have been offensive and un-Mod like. Mocking posts just for the sake of it and telling me to * off, for example. Making a stupid baseless statement like, "of course you'd be ok with that one", i.e, the use of ankle bracelets. Why would you say that?
I think you have issues with reading then because I didn't tell you to * off I said beyond that * off, as in I don't care

and yeah your response to ankle bracelets preceded mine, and you take offense at that? your posting gave zero *s about the problem just yeah why not try it

seriously, the Herald Sun crowd come in here quoting whatever clickbait outrage the HUN is serving this week and are completely silent and oblivious about any other issue in the state

I did not raise the EW Link. But I do take umbrage when neo Marxists use it as justification for the billions wasted by the Andrews / Allen governments.
lol this is great neo marxists, and you wonder why I don't take you seriously, you are becoming more and more a caricature of a right wing reactionary

you used to post much more balanced but neo marxists is kind of showing where you are at these days

Instead of an offensive retort why don't you tell me how you propose dealing with the repeat offenders?? You know, the kids who have committed the same crimes 30+ times? I'm not saying ankle bracelets are the solution, and I didn't raise them.
you don't fix these issues with more policing and more draconian laws or powers, targeting kids to keep the community safe, whipping up panic about young offenders

its the kind of s**t I'd expect from the libs but labor have taken to it like a duck to water

not just in vic either and its interesting that people called Dan a fascist and dictator but then weak on crime, then they are fine with laws being passed that are actually increasing police powers, because they think they will never be used on them

The state government has been accused of fudging the numbers to explain its way out of cancelling the 2026 Commonwealth Games.
In a damning report published on Wednesday, Victoria’s auditor general Andrew Greaves blamed a lack of due diligence and bureaucratic incompetence for the games debacle.

He called for a comprehensive review into why key agencies did not work together effectively to give frank, full and timely advice to the government.

The government has already rejected calls for this review.

In his review, Mr Greaves also cast doubt over government claims of a cost blowout to almost $7bn, saying the figure was overstated.

Instead Mr Greaves found costs had blown out to about $4.9bn.

“The original Games budget was unrealistically low, but the $6.9 billion cost estimate the government publicly released when it withdrew from the Games was overstated,” he said.

H/S
They weren't accused but proven guilty behind any doubt. Jacinta only has two options resign immediately or admit what most people suspect that this was one of Dan's ideas to scam an election win and apologise for her repeated involvement in covering his failures and corrupt dealings.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

But that doesn't explain overstating the revised budget costs to justify reneging on the contract. That was a plain lie, and we all knew it but just had no proof because of the secrecy.

Seriously, who would want to do business with the State of Victoria, except the CFMEU?
The foreign companies that the government keeps giving work to despite repeated cost and schedule blow outs are very happy.

ya see, t.p, i remember the billions the libs cost the state by signing a construction contract during the caretaker period they knew the then opposition was vehemently opposed to. something not done before and considered, even in political circles, to be reprehensible. a ‘mates’ agreement that cost the state billions. so i don’t think your lot should be giving lessons on these matters.
That wasn't signed in the caretaker period but I agree the side note was rephrensible (and worse than Dan's lies that it would cost nothing to cancel the EW link) but the Games are worse.

I could not give less of a s**t about the Commonwealth Games saga if you paid me.

There's much worse s**t happening right now that none of you give a s**t about, but the comm games sends you into some sort of frothing frenzy

It was a terrible idea, they never should have bid, they're full of s**t and they've wasted money.

Beyond that * off

Cutting funding for a successful program that gets people out of homelessness, that's evil

Ankle monitors for 14 year olds, evil

That stuff worries me much more than stupid sport event doesn't go ahead
Comm games saga is as bad as the pre signing of EWL. Basically set fire to money for no tangible return

A few points of interest.

The benefits to hosting the games were overstated from the beginning

DJSIR's business case presented a high-level preliminary assessment of the benefits of hosting the Games.
Major predicted benefits for regional cities included increased tourism and converting the athletes' villages into social or affordable housing.

DJSIR also estimated that around 20 per cent of the benefits would come from avoided health costs due to increased physical activity and civic pride in regional areas. DTF assessed these benefits as speculative and overstated and advised DJSIR to remove them just before the government considered the business case. But DJSIR included them in its benefit–cost ratio.

DJSIR told us it did not have time to consider and respond to DTF's concerns and that it estimated the benefit–cost ratio using established practices and it stands behind its analysis.

Projects with a benefit–cost ratio of less than 1.0 do not usually proceed.

---
Adjusting this analysis to remove the Impact of speculative benefits and questionable cost reductions results in a benefit–cost ratio of 0.59 to 0.95.

The results would have been more reliable, and less favourable, if the business case had included more realistic cost estimates.

The games were underfunded from the beginning.

In early March 2022 DJSIR briefed the Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events (the Minister) and recommended that they seek approval from the government for a gross budget of up to $3.2 billion.

This reflected the high-cost scenario in the business case. The Minister accepted DJSIR's advice and approved the submission recommending this funding amount on 10 March 2022.

However, the final submission, which was dated the same day, recommended that the government approve a Games budget consistent with the low-cost option, which was a gross budget estimate of $2.7 billion.

DJSIR has given us evidence that suggests this change was made at the request of the Minister's office. The 2022–23 state Budget, which was released in May 2022, disclosed $2.6 billion of approved funding for the Games.

This was slightly less than the $2.7 billion approved in March 2022 because the government agreed to remove funding of around $51 million allocated for additional sports that had not been selected yet.

In the end, the cost of the Games was overstated by $1 Billion dollars due to an accounting error that was not publicly corrected.

The July 2023 total cost estimate of $6.865 billion included:
  •  $1 billion in contingency allowances, including:
    •  $551 million embedded in the cost estimates for infrastructure, temporary overlay infrastructure and operating costs
    •  a project-wide overall Games contingency provision of $450 million
  •  $2 billion for additional cost pressures relating to industrial relations risks and cost escalation
    risks.
The $1 billion contingency amount was intended to cover potential costs associated with industrial relation and cost escalation risks. But these risks were also costed and included as part of the
$2 billion estimate for additional cost pressures in the total budget estimate of $6.865 billion.

To be transparent, the total contingency allowance of $1 billion should have been deducted from the additional cost pressures estimate when the government presented the total estimated cost of the Games in July 2023.

The takeout from all this?

The thing was foreseeably cooked from the very beginning. Any reasonable analysis of the facts could only conclude that it was an endeavour that never should have gotten off the starting line. The benefits were overstated, the cancellation costs were understated, and the costs of holding the games were both understated and overstated to suit the former Premier's changing political agenda.

In the end, $580m+ down the drain.

A few points of interest.

The benefits to hosting the games were overstated from the beginning

The games were underfunded from the beginning.

In the end, the cost of the Games was overstated by $1 Billion dollars due to an accounting error that was not publicly corrected.

The takeout from all this?

The thing was foreseeably cooked from the very beginning. Any reasonable analysis of the facts could only conclude that it was an endeavour that never should have gotten off the starting line. The benefits were overstated, the cancellation costs were understated, and the costs of holding the games were both understated and overstated to suit the former Premier's changing political agenda.

In the end, $580m+ down the drain.
100% they misjudged the political capital of hosting the games and we've paid for it

Comm games saga is as bad as the pre signing of EWL. Basically set fire to money for no tangible return
Yes they're both extremely s**t decisions.
I think campaigning on vote for us if you want this and then signing the contract prior to the election is pretty s**t.

Dan's version was hey regional Victoria I love you Comm Games prior to the election and then cancel after

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% they misjudged the political capital of hosting the games and we've paid for it
It's the same in QLD with the Olympics.

Both the Comm games and Olympics don't have the shine nor economic benefits(if any existed) they once had

It's the same in QLD with the Olympics.

Both the Comm games and Olympics don't have the shine nor economic benefits(if any existed) they once had
No they do not

Instead Mr Greaves found costs had blown out to about $4.9bn.
The report actually said $5.9b not $4.9b. $6b is a lot and too much for these games. The two Dept Heads have come out and said their forecast was $6-7b with $6.9b being at the higher end ie worst case.

So whilst $589m is a lot to waste it’s far better than billions more it would’ve cost. $6b is justifiable ground to cancel I would’ve thought

The report actually said $5.9b not $4.9b. $6b is a lot and too much for these games. The two Dept Heads have come out and said their forecast was $6-7b with $6.9b being at the higher end ie worst case.

So whilst $589m is a lot to waste it’s far better than billions more it would’ve cost. $6b is justifiable ground to cancel I would’ve thought

If the point is attracting events for the economy, $6b would get so much more that people are actually interested in today

Queensland government should be studying the carefully, I'd be looking at this polls and doing everything to get rid of their stupid folly now in the likely event that the Lib/Nats will near bankrupt the state trying to stage an Olympics to satisfy their egos.

Using regional facilities like gold toast makes more sense for qld than it did for Victoria with the comm games. I’m guessing regional qld has a lot more visitor accommodation than regional Victoria

Using regional facilities like gold toast makes more sense for qld than it did for Victoria with the comm games. I’m guessing regional qld has a lot more visitor accommodation than regional Victoria
The regional victoria idea was to get votes , leave sporting facilities and infrastructure . Dan got the votes but left fresh air

In terms of cuts to public services it's going to be Campbell Newman MkII up there so there'll have to a legacy counterbalance somewhere and you can bet the Qld media won't be as interested in holding them to account like the do the ALP. It's a recipe for disaster.

I would recommend using that $600 million to maintain and increase the funding for the homelessness program the Allan Government is cutting, if they still had it. But they wasted it.

And the tens of millions spend on the massive expansion of upper and middle management - also much better spend on the H2H program. You know, an actual service to the public.

And think what the $600m could have been spent on!? Off the top of my head:

• Schools
  • Repairing potholes on Victorian roads. Instead speed limits on almost 1000km of roads has been indefinitely cut from 100km/h to 60km/h
  • Major structural repairs to the Royal Exhibition Buildings

But hey, there will still be posters calling for Dan to do another victory lap...
600m that could have gone towards helping our struggling hospital and ambulance sector.

I would recommend using that $600 million to maintain and increase the funding for the homelessness program the Allan Government is cutting, if they still had it. But they wasted it.

And the tens of millions spend on the massive expansion of upper and middle management - also much better spend on the H2H program. You know, an actual service to the public.
they could still find the money for that if they were willing to deal with backlash from lobby groups

this is the wider problem with our democracy currently though

the groups that don't have the power and money to get what they need out of governments get their funding cut to give it to the groups that do

and that funding makes them more able to continue to push for more in the future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back