Jacinta Allan - 49th Victorian Premier.

Remove this Banner Ad

The regional victoria idea was to get votes , leave sporting facilities and infrastructure . Dan got the votes but left fresh air

I had a bit of look at this a while ago and it didn't actually get him any extra votes.

Maybe he cancelled the games out of petulance as a result.

The report actually said $5.9b not $4.9b. $6b is a lot and too much for these games. The two Dept Heads have come out and said their forecast was $6-7b with $6.9b being at the higher end ie worst case.

So whilst $589m is a lot to waste it’s far better than billions more it would’ve cost. $6b is justifiable ground to cancel I would’ve thought
Cancellation is easily justified, the lies told and the terrible decision to agree to host in the first place are not and the reason Jacita should resign from parliament today.

Hopefully QLD government does the right thing and cancels the Olympics as well.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

they could still find the money for that if they were willing to deal with backlash from lobby groups

this is the wider problem with our democracy currently though

the groups that don't have the power and money to get what they need out of governments get their funding cut to give it to the groups that do

and that funding makes them more able to continue to push for more in the future

I'm not sure what lobby group is advocating for $100s of millions of money wasted inside the public service. Perhaps the major consulting firms because they get a taste?

This isn't a situation where it is obvious the Allan Government is picking winners and losers. It's just internal waste (on a massive scale) costing the government the opportunity to provide a service to the public.

Queensland government should be studying the carefully, I'd be looking at this polls and doing everything to get rid of their stupid folly now in the likely event that the Lib/Nats will near bankrupt the state trying to stage an Olympics to satisfy their egos.
This is akin to lauding Dan Andrews for cancelling the Commonwealth Games. You are already blaming the Opposition for a decision to host made by the Labor government?

Cancellation is easily justified, the lies told and the terrible decision to agree to host in the first place are not and the reason Jacita should resign from parliament today.

Hopefully QLD government does the right thing and cancels the Olympics as well.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
That would cost Chief his billions

I'm not sure what lobby group is advocating for $100s of millions of money wasted inside the public service. Perhaps the major consulting firms because they get a taste?

This isn't a situation where it is obvious the Allan Government is picking winners and losers. It's just internal waste (on a massive scale) costing the government the opportunity to provide a service to the public.
sorry Punter I should have been clearer that I wasn't talking specifically to your point about management bloat in the public sector but more generally about how the levers of government and what gets money and what gets cut works

obviously the public sector management would do the same, ie cut frontline workers to keep their own fat paychecks

the problem is that governments always tend to cut funding to these sorts of services that deal with vulnerable groups, poverty and the related issues in communities that come from it

and then they give that money to the cops or someone else that doesn't help the same way or at all depending on where the money goes

so things get worse, then that is used to justify more spending on these other measures that aren't working and again it tends to come from the ones that are working

That was a government making a decision it was entitled to make during the normal business hours of the government (it was signed on 29 September 2014, BEFORE caretaker period commenced on Cup Day 2014). As far as we know, it was accurately scoped and budgeted, and departments were engaging with each other.

Take issue with the decision all you like, but the issues related to the Comm Games are different issues.
not excusing the ham fisted way the gov't mishandled the commonwealth games. just pointing out the hypocrisy. and it wasn't the then gov't taking a decision it was entitled to. it was a gov't, in caretaker mode, knowing they weren't likely to be re-elected wilfully, against ethics and tradition, signing a contract for 'mates' knowing it was going to cost the state truckloads.

not excusing the ham fisted way the gov't mishandled the commonwealth games. just pointing out the hypocrisy. and it wasn't the then gov't taking a decision it was entitled to. it was a gov't, in caretaker mode, knowing they weren't likely to be re-elected wilfully, against ethics and tradition, signing a contract for 'mates' knowing it was going to cost the state truckloads.

This statement is incorrect in fact.

Caretaker started on 4 November 2014.

The signing of the contracts was completed on 29 September 2014.

The Victorian Government was NOT in caretaker mode on 29 September 2014.

no they just then pretended they hadn't done that and campaigned on the decision being a core part of the election

so you are correct, they were legally allowed to do what they did, it was just dishonest how they did it

no they just then pretended they hadn't done that and campaigned on the decision being a core part of the election

so you are correct, they were legally allowed to do what they did, it was just dishonest how they did it

I believe that issue was framed as one party would build it if elected, the other would scrap it, and that's the way it played out in the end. Victorians made their choice on the issue, and again at the two elections after. The West is getting a second rate, very expensive substitute instead.

And think what the $600m could have been spent on!? Off the top of my head:

• Schools
  • Repairing potholes on Victorian roads. Instead speed limits on almost 1000km of roads has been indefinitely cut from 100km/h to 60km/h
  • Major structural repairs to the Royal Exhibition Buildings

But hey, there will still be posters calling for Dan to do another victory lap...
He wasn’t perfect - bit light years ahead of the alternative-and you sure do like a sook stew!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that issue was framed as one party would build it if elected, the other would scrap it, and that's the way it played out in the end. Victorians made their choice on the issue, and again at the two elections after. The West is getting a second rate, very expensive substitute instead.

Libs weren’t even proposing the western part just added it to make the eastern part case stink less.

Personally I think they went the ol lnp tactic of prioritising police’s wupith a wedge factor - in this case playing off inner green alp areas with outer suburbs at the other end of th eastern

Libs weren’t even proposing the western part just added it to make the eastern part case stink less.

Personally I think they went the ol lnp tactic of prioritising police’s wupith a wedge factor - in this case playing off inner green alp areas with outer suburbs at the other end of th eastern

Inside the government and the public service, the plan was always for the full East West Link.

i accept your knowledge on the matter. but the fact is the napthine do-nothing gov't knew it wasn't going to win the election and in an act of bastardry signed a 'mates' contract knowing labor was not going to fulfil it. something no gov't in its dying days has done. and it cost the state mega bucks.

600m that could have gone towards helping our struggling hospital and ambulance sector.

600m more that AV could piss up the wall and squander on luncheons at the Chadstone Hotel.

If the government got their priorities in order and funded the healthcare system appropriately. We wouldn't need a Good Friday Apoeal!!
Charity is a failure of government
Governments are happy for them to exist though

They then have the excuse of the charity not doing enough

This is business as usual in a capitalist society

Remove this Banner Ad

Back