Toast Welcome to Freo Jeremy Sharp - SSP Selection 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

His two way running has always been fine. It’s his ability to put his head down and get the hardball. He had a couple of opportunities to go in and get the hardball (more in round 1) where he stood back. I know he is an outside player yada yada but when it is your turn you gotta go. Can also drift off and go missing at times. Again the ball may spend a quarter entirely on the opposite wing.

Basically Stewart Dew formed an opinion and he didn’t get played. Steven King came in as care-taker coach and there seemed to be an eye for the future with his selections and by that point Sharp likely had made his intentions clear. Flinders is a prime example - he got some regular footy and worked well for GC and Flinders. Regardless of Sharp getting a game he was halfway out the door. His form for GC VFL was solid.

For mine he is improving every week he gets a game. Certainly getting back being a plus one in defence and I noticed more times he put his head over the ball to dig in against Adelaide.

Freo wanted him as a replacement for Acres post 2022 but they weren’t going to pay second round pick and rightly so. The loss of Acres with no replacement hurt Freo. We also lost Tucker that same pre-season and he is in similar mould as Acres/Sharp.

Henry is a different type to Acres/Sharp. He would likely have been in the rotation between high half forward and wing. With Young moving to permanent midfield it has pushed some of the midfielders like Brayshaw and Johnson to the wing. Even Serong has had some stints on the wing.

NOD when fit and in form is handy for Wing half forward rotation.

Henry whilst a shame to lose is replaceable in that role he would have played.

We have finally got our replacement for Acres. Sadly we suffered last year with no adequate replacement.
We played a clever patience game holding off trading for him then. He looks more than comfortable at the level and if he can add goals to his repertoire, he'll really come on. He looks happy to be home, playing first team footy and his goal against North showed that. Confidence is up. I hope he has a good game against the Blues

His two way running has always been fine. It’s his ability to put his head down and get the hardball. He had a couple of opportunities to go in and get the hardball (more in round 1) where he stood back. I know he is an outside player yada yada but when it is your turn you gotta go. Can also drift off and go missing at times. Again the ball may spend a quarter entirely on the opposite wing.
Not sure about the hardball, but there's definitely been some moments when he's stood in the hole to block key forwards' leads. That takes a certain amount of toughness.

Basically Stewart Dew formed an opinion and he didn’t get played. Steven King came in as care-taker coach and there seemed to be an eye for the future with his selections and by that point Sharp likely had made his intentions clear. Flinders is a prime example - he got some regular footy and worked well for GC and Flinders. Regardless of Sharp getting a game he was halfway out the door. His form for GC VFL was solid.

For mine he is improving every week he gets a game. Certainly getting back being a plus one in defence and I noticed more times he put his head over the ball to dig in against Adelaide.

Freo wanted him as a replacement for Acres post 2022 but they weren’t going to pay second round pick and rightly so. The loss of Acres with no replacement hurt Freo. We also lost Tucker that same pre-season and he is in similar mould as Acres/Sharp.

Henry is a different type to Acres/Sharp. He would likely have been in the rotation between high half forward and wing. With Young moving to permanent midfield it has pushed some of the midfielders like Brayshaw and Johnson to the wing. Even Serong has had some stints on the wing.

NOD when fit and in form is handy for Wing half forward rotation.

Henry whilst a shame to lose is replaceable in that role he would have played.

We have finally got our replacement for Acres. Sadly we suffered last year with no adequate replacement.
Idk if Noddy has a place in the side tbh if Sharp is in the team. We would need to drop a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not Peter Matera, but he's good enough to be one of 10 AFL teams' first choice wingers.

Staggered Stuey never gave him a proper go. Maybe they play the wrong system but he suits ours to a tee.

I posted in the off season that he has all the tools. Pace, stamina, good skills and a wingman by “trade”. The only thing to stop him were/are injuries or his attitude.

Look I really didn't expect much from him at all, and thought it was stupid that people thought him coming over would've been enough reason to get rid of Acres.

But he's proved me wrong massively. He runs the wings incredibly well, has pace, endurance, and his disposal is much better than any of the guys before him. Also gets back to defend nicely. Was worth waiting the extra year imo. Probably made him hungrier.

Also I'll never forget how he had a bit of a sook and blocked freo on insta and started following the eagles after the trade didn't go through lol.

Very good game from him today. Has great leg speed and usually reads the play well. Can see why Fremantle low balled acres and held out for Sharps recruitment.

From what I saw of Sharp at the Suns, I was worried he'd be just a good athlete with poor-average judgement at best.

But the sample he's put together so far this season has been one of a player who's really got the decisive and clean involvements to be a clutch player when the moments arrive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back