Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless say Worpel or Nash leave at year end, I'm concerned for Ward and think a hard call may need to be made at the end of the year. Our midfield:

Day
Worpel
Newcombe
Mackenzie
B. Smith (by all reports coming)
Nash (less talented but there for his role as a defensive mid)
Finn (if he's tagging)
Hustwaite
Possibly another top 3 draft pick this year, BPA will likely be a midfielder. Understand what happens with our pick could change.

Before anyone says don't write off a 20 year old, I'm not. I think he will be a good player in time. I am being pragmatic and viewing this from a list balance perspective.

My concern is where will he fit in? Yes he played fantastically as an inside mid at BHH this weekend but we are stacked for inside mids. He's been struggling to adapt as an outside mid, could he go past Nash as the defensive mid?

Again, I am not writing off a 20 year old. I want him to have a long successful career in the B&G but I'm not sure positionally where.
In our 3-peat we had 8 guys rotating through the middle / wings / half fwd or half back.

When we have the depth it may mean a HFF and HBF is occupied by one of those 8 “mids” (including Ward)

They would ask for Day, Newcombe, Moore, Lewis, our first rounder and next years.
And if he was to leave WA it would be to Geelong.

Geelong board have convinced themselves they have him already

Some of the trade propositions are laughable. Two late firsts and a fringe player they reckon will get it done
Seems to be loving life in WA. They're delusional.

Reid looks like a man that is very happy in WA and has settled.

Norf had the chance to get him twice, once when they won that game to avoid the spoon and then could have traded pick 2 and 3 and got him then.
It's true. They rejected pick 2 and 3 for him. Rawlings should be sacked for that alone.

Isn’t Harley 6 games in with a three year contract? He’s not JHF and he’s not at Norf. I doubt he moves anywhere before free agency and maybe not even then. As a country boy WA works and he’s shown he’s got a great temperament given all the coverage. As long as eagles continue to improve I suspect he will want to spearhead their revival. Good luck to him and OMG north what were you thinking. Harley Reid gives you relevance and the start of a culture.
You had 2 shots and all the assistance to get him after inexplicably beating the suns and you still screwed up. Beyond help now they must be wound up.

Ruff - make him an offer he can't refuse..

One of the challenges in rebuilding is that all clubs are forced to pay at least 90 or 95% of the salary cap. This has two unintended side-effects:
1. A club down the bottom can rarely if ever have enough salary cap room to make an offer that is just too good to refuse. They can force the price up, but the top clubs can always find paper bags or third party property deals to match the offer in ways that are difficult to trace.
2. Players at lower teams are likely to be paid more than equivalent players at top teams. Therefore when free agency come around, they have already established themselves financially. The only remaining consideration is on-field success.

The AFLPA will never agree to abandon free agency or to allow players to be paid less. So we are trapped in a flawed system that actually works against itself.

One of the challenges in rebuilding is that all clubs are forced to pay at least 90 or 95% of the salary cap. This has two unintended side-effects:
1. A club down the bottom can rarely if ever have enough salary cap room to make an offer that is just too good to refuse. They can force the price up, but the top clubs can always find paper bags or third party property deals to match the offer in ways that are difficult to trace.
2. Players at lower teams are likely to be paid more than equivalent players at top teams. Therefore when free agency come around, they have already established themselves financially. The only remaining consideration is on-field success.

The AFLPA will never agree to abandon free agency or to allow players to be paid less. So we are trapped in a flawed system that actually works against itself.
Some good points. Wonder why the rule is there that you have to pay x% of the cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs can always front end a lot of the contracts so they have more money leftover in the future years to attract free agents.
Although when I hear about players with huge chunks of their salary backdated towards the later part of their contracts, it sounds crazy to me. Why in this financial world, would anyone not want more money upfront is beyond me. You have inflation eating away into your dollar value so surely you want the money earlier so you can get it invested and ride the inflation/house prices wave. Guess player agents are not financial advisers.

If Serong can develop in our back line and play regularly I’d be trying to get Caleb Serong home in 2027 as a RFA to play with his brother.

Reid looks like a man that is very happy in WA and has settled.

Norf had the chance to get him twice, once when they won that game to avoid the spoon and then could have traded pick 2 and 3 and got him then.

I am expecting Eagles to actually trade for Yasmin Durrsma to keep Reid happy and content. She may even be paid overs to get to Eagles.

Off the top of my head, Darren Jarman, Brad Scott, Brad Hill all left us to play with their brothers. Would be nice if Caleb wanted to come our way.
Justin Crawford too. Kelvin Matthews mustn't have been too keen on Leigh, as he went the other way (to Geelong). I was only a kid but remember him missing a pivotal goal at Princes Park and next thing I knew he was lining up for Geelong.

Justin Crawford too. Kelvin Matthews mustn't have been too keen on Leigh, as he went the other way (to Geelong). I was only a kid but remember him missing a pivotal goal at Princes Park and next thing I knew he was lining up for Geelong.
GAJ Snr also left his Brother-in-Law, Tuck, to play at Geelong. Though, I'm not sure how much choice their was in that.

North Melbourne superstar onballer Luke Davies-Uniacke is on track to become the most sought-after player in the game as he holds off on contract talks until next season.
The jet ballwinner will be a restricted free agent in 2025 and will consider his options including guaranteed blockbuster seven-figure offers from Victorian rivals next year.
The Kangaroos are keen to re-sign Davies-Uniacke early to thwart poaching raids from a long list of interested clubs including St Kilda, Essendon and Adelaide who want more top-line talent.
The Saints are desperate to add more A-Grade midfielders and are certain to come hard for the Rye product, who also has links with Bombers’ coach Brad Scott at Tullamarine.
The strong interest means Davies-Uniacke, 24, is certain to defer any talks on his contract until next year when clubs will zero in on him as the likely No. 1 free agency target from the 2025 crop.
North Melbourne’s direction will be a key factor in Davies-Uniacke’s contract decision following just 18 wins from the first 91 games of his career.
Davies-Uniacke is arguably the most important player at North Melbourne after finishing second in the best and fairest in 2022 before soft-tissue injuries hit him last year.
And talent experts believe at 188cm Davies-Uniacke has the power and burst speed to become one of the most damaging on-ballers in the game in a competitive team.
Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd said on 3AW a “sense of hopelessness” had set in at Arden St this year after a winless start to the season including Sunday’s 45-point loss to Hawthorn.
“Aside from playing the kids, I don’t see a direction,” Matthew Lloyd said on 3AW.
“It’s hard to see what they are trying to do and you would hope that (coach Alastair) Clarkson could have taught them to defend at least, but they are all over the shop behind the ball.”
Making up the group of 2025 free agents, GWS Giants have made progress in talks with Sam Taylor’s new Sydney-based manager, Brisbane is confident it can lock away Cam Rayner, while Fremantle and West Coast have high hopes about extensions for Andrew Brayshaw (Dockers) and Oscar Allen (Eagles).
Davies-Uniacke could consider following Ben McKay out the door at Arden St with the fullback enjoying a fresh start at Essendon ahead of Thursday’s Anzac Day blockbuster at a sold-out MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back