Australia Test squad - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khawaja can't rotate the strike against good quicks.

Or good spinners...him and Hughes are battling it out to be the 'worst players of spin' in our side! I agree with you though, his problem is that too often he is 10 off 40 leaving too many balls that you can easily block into the gap for a single.

My personal gut feel on Khawaja is that test cricket is just beyond the level of talent that he has. He's worked hard and has a good solid technique but just doesn't have the talent to bring it up a level.

Tend to agree, he really needs to learn to rotate the strike. It is no good putting 80% of balls away for 4...you don't get them in test cricket. The batsmen that transfer it to test level are ones that rotate the strike.

Over the next couple of years we need to nail down a number 3 at the least. Who are everyone's picks? I'll go with Phil Hughes.

I reckon they have might have Hughes pencilled in for another crack at opening once Rogers retires or eventually gets the tap on the shoulder. I don't think any of the older guys are up to it to be honest. Doolan is just stop-gap player until something better comes along, Marsh is too inconsistent and Khawaja doesn't seem up to it.

It would be great to see one of the younger guys step up in the next 12 months. Chris Lynn looks a quality batsman and would love to see him given a crack if he keeps scoring well at FC level. Bats at 4 for QLD but I think he could make the move up one spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon they have might have Hughes pencilled in for another crack at opening once Rogers retires or eventually gets the tap on the shoulder. I don't think any of the older guys are up to it to be honest. Doolan is just stop-gap player until something better comes along, Marsh is too inconsistent and Khawaja doesn't seem up to it.

It would be great to see one of the younger guys step up in the next 12 months. Chris Lynn looks a quality batsman and would love to see him given a crack if he keeps scoring well at FC level. Bats at 4 for QLD but I think he could make the move up one spot.
Yeah I really like the look of Lynn, also rate Travis Head highly, just needs to convert into big scores.

Over the next couple of years we need to nail down a number 3 at the least. Who are everyone's picks? I'll go with Phil Hughes.

Reckon Steve Smith will bat there sooner than later. Not the best looking technique, but knows when to leave, plays fast bowling well and scores quickly enough to set up a test match. Should be mentioned more as a candidate.

Reckon Steve Smith will bat there sooner than later. Not the best looking technique, but knows when to leave, plays fast bowling well and scores quickly enough to set up a test match. Should be mentioned more as a candidate.

I'd be happy to see Smith go up to 3 and Maxwell or Lynn come in at 5. I think that would be a stronger line up than with Doolan in it.

I'd be happy to see Smith go up to 3 and Maxwell or Lynn come in at 5. I think that would be a stronger line up than with Doolan in it.

There's something about Doolan that I really like. Think he's got a pretty rock solid technique and seems to have a really good temperament. Is there a bit of Boon about him? Might be. Not as talented as Boon, but looks solid at #3. I want Doolan to get an extended run to see if he can. If we end up with Hughes and Warner opening at some point, I think Doolan could be the ideal #3.

Smith would be good at #3, as he's shown in FC cricket, but I really like him at #5.

Jake Doran.

Has it, and frankly that is why they are going to take it safe with Doolan for 2-3 years.

We're picking Doolan because of a talented 17-year-old?

Turn it up. Doolan's selection is not influenced one iota by Doran.

Doran is the most talented bat I have seen period since a young Ponting. No doubt they have him in mind to bat at 3 for Australia within 3 years.

Doran is the most talented bat I have seen period since a young Ponting.
Even if that's the case, it's absolutely not determining selection policy today. To suggest otherwise is insane.

No doubt they have him in mind to bat at 3 for Australia within 3 years.
Really? No doubt?

Do you actually believe this? Do you honestly think that the selectors have sat around and said 'OMG, Jake Doran will definitely be there in 2017-18, so let's just stick with Doolan for now'? Don't you think they'd have more immediate concerns? This summer and next year's Ashes, perhaps?

You have chosen to invoke this comparison with Ponting. It's absurdly premature, obviously. But setting that aside, even Ponting didn't come straight into the Test side and start batting at No.3. He was down the order for ages. He was 26 before he made the move full-time to batting at No.3. It was 5-6 years after his Test debut.

But you reckon a 17-year-old kid is so assured of coming in and holding down No.3 from the get go that, three years before he comes from the clouds, they're already picking the team with him in mind?

It's as though you're part of a secret contest to see who can pass off the most counter-intuitive statement as a genuinely held opinion. If that's the case, suggesting 'Doolan is at No.3 because of Jake Doran's inevitable awesomeness' will be hard to beat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back