Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - It's Never Too Soon edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Morabito being dropped again, any chance we walks from Freo? Not sure what his contract status is but I thought he was out of contract after this year.

I'd be interested.

Tall defenders : Mackenzie, Brown, Schofield (Backup - Barass, Powell)
Tall forwards : Kennedy, Darling, McGovern (Backup - McInness)
Rucks : Naitanui, Lycett (Backup - Sinclair)

With the retirements of Glass and Cox our depth in talls has evaporated when you consider that Barass and Powell are very very raw and may not even make it and McInness is still very much a work in progress as well.

Trading away talls might help our midfield but it leaves us horribly exposed if we get any injuries.

How about we throw the kitchen sink at Frawley and if we get him see if there's any currency for Brown?

We might be able to get a late first rounder for him and still have his spot filled by arguably a better player.

How about we throw the kitchen sink at Frawley and if we get him see if there's any currency for Brown?

We might be able to get a late first rounder for him and still have his spot filled by arguably a better player.
Frawley, do not really want. Any upgrade on Brown isn't worth the $500k a year extra he'd be after.

Frawley, do not really want. Any upgrade on Brown isn't worth the $500k a year extra he'd be after.
Really?

If there's room in the cap to get him in and we pick up a late 1st rounder as well then that's a win. I'm sure with the list we have there's $$$ to go around.

Really?

If there's room in the cap to get him in and we pick up a late 1st rounder as well then that's a win. I'm sure with the list we have there's $$$ to go around.
That's a left field option but one that wouldn't be too bad. Any option that can get us another first rounder can't be a bad thing. But we're always going to have to give up one of our best 22 to net a decent pick.

But...

The more I think about it, I like it. Send an email to Rohan O'Brien and Vozzo and make it happen!

That's a left field option but one that wouldn't be too bad. Any option that can get us another first rounder can't be a bad thing. But we're always going to have to give up one of our best 22 to net a decent pick.

But...

The more I think about it, I like it. Send an email to Rohan O'Brien and Vozzo and make it happen!
I'm pretty sure that they read this thread each night anyhow.

You quote a post about our lack of talls in depth and then suggest Frawley. That's fine. But then say we get rid of Brown, which means we're back at having little depth. That's not a sound plan. I'd rather keep Brown than pay an overrated Frawley whatever overrated sum he thinks he is worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you could pull off that deal it means we have bought a 12 - 22 pick for around $500k.
500k. Extra. Per year.

That's the value of a pretty good player for one who may or may not be a slight upgrade on Brown.

I just don't want Vanilla. Or anything even close to it. Seriously, if we get another 180cm midfielder who is an "all rounder" i think i'll lose my s**t.

Someone with height/pace/x factor please.

Laverde reminds me a bit of Yeo. And i like Yeo.

500k. Extra. Per year.

That's the value of a pretty good player for one who may or may not be a slight upgrade on Brown.
Money's not an issue as we won't be stretched as far as cap space goes.

I'm pretty confident in saying that Frawley is a far better player than Brown on past performance and future potential. If you could swap Brown and some salary cap for Frawley and a 1st rounder you'd be crazy not to do it.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...s-in-2014-season/story-e6frg1xu-1227006301799

Taken from that ^

Interesting to hear the media also acknowledge just how bad our year has been.

WEST COAST EAGLES

The Eagles might be considered the most disappointing team this season, but key defenderEric Mackenzie has gone against the grain, beating the likes of Matthew Pavlich, Travis Cloke, Drew Petrie and Lance Franklin. He’s also ranked eighth in the AFL for average spoils (7.7), while he leads the club in marks per game (6.8) and total rebound 50s (53). The other improver is Jamie Bennell, who has revitalised his career in the West, averaging career-high disposals (13) and marks (four)

I'm pretty confident in saying that Frawley is a far better player than Brown on past performance and future potential. If you could swap Brown and some salary cap for Frawley and a 1st rounder you'd be crazy not to do it.
Don't be so naive. Money is always an issue with such a small salary cap. Signing Frawley and paying him a ridiculous sum is poor list management.

You lost me first line where you said Hurn can be used as a tall defender ! I suppose he could but not very effectively ;)

I have no doubt if wce lose tall defenders he can play that role for example dunn, morris (for years) and the hawks all there tall defenders are not massive play the role well. In the end we are talking about if injuries happen and few of them we will have options than just 195cm plus defenders and forwards sometimes more run is more important than being super tall all over the ground.

On the forwards it is proven that being to tall and having no run is a disadvantage not a advantage IMO playing jk, mcgovern, darling and a resting ruckman in the forward line is a problem. I think lecras is more tall than small as well I'm sure he played ff and kicked 12 goals once which was awesome. So it leaves the crumbs to one player and the opposition burn it out the forward line and we have had fumbling forwards this year. Most of the good teams do not play to tall all over the ground just maybe the swans who struggle to find roles for everyone when they play all there talls.

I have no doubt if wce lose tall defenders he can play that role for example dunn, morris (for years) and the hawks all there tall defenders are not massive play the role well. In the end we are talking about if injuries happen and few of them we will have options than just 195cm plus defenders and forwards sometimes more run is more important than being super tall all over the ground.

On the forwards it is proven that being to tall and having no run is a disadvantage not a advantage IMO playing jk, mcgovern, darling and a resting ruckman in the forward line is a problem. I think lecras is more tall than small as well I'm sure he played ff and kicked 12 goals once which was awesome. So it leaves the crumbs to one player and the opposition burn it out the forward line and we have had fumbling forwards this year. Most of the good teams do not play to tall all over the ground just maybe the swans who struggle to find roles for everyone when they play all there talls.
You do realise Hurn is 186cm and doesn't have a good leap or closing speed . Morris is 190 and Dunn 192cm , those 2 players are genuine utilities/ third tall defenders . At a pinch hurn might have to take a key forward during a game but the opposition would try exploit this match up . The match committee would never go into a game with hurn taking a Key defensive post . McGovern Wilson McInnis yeo barrass Powell ? would all probably be in front of him . He is in our backline as an offensive weapon and is best used as the spare man in defence . Not to say his defensive work isn't good but he is just not a key defender or should be used as one .

With Morabito being dropped again, any chance we walks from Freo? Not sure what his contract status is but I thought he was out of contract after this year.

I'd be interested.

Out of contract end of this year, doubt he would dog Freo after they have stood by him for so long though.

I like the way you think. Expensive option with a little bit of risk attached, but it does create an additional opportunity to trade for a decent pick or player.

Getting Frawley is worth a shot but I don't think he will leave now with Roos committing to a 3rd year as Melbourne coach . It appears a move to convince Frawley to stay put .

Don't be so naive. Money is always an issue with such a small salary cap. Signing Frawley and paying him a ridiculous sum is poor list management.
I'm being far from naive. With the retirements this year and the quality of our list we would be battling to be paying the minimum salary cap this year as it stands. This is likely going to be the case for the next 2 - 3 years.

To bring in an AA quality backman plus a possible first round pick for an average backman, every side in the comp who could do it would if they had the chance.

To bring in an AA quality backman plus a possible first round pick for an average backman, every side in the comp who could do it would if they had the chance.
You're overrating Frawley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back