Big Footy Phantom Draft 2014 - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the selection of Rose. I think third round is about his range, should be a handy player.

I don't know how I feel about Jarrod Garlett. I feel like he is benefiting from a lack of relative competition. It isn't a particularly strong draft for those outside, Indigenous players. Somewhere around 40-60 seems about right to me.

Like the selection of Rose. I think third round is about his range, should be a handy player.

I don't know how I feel about Jarrod Garlett. I feel like he is benefiting from a lack of relative competition. It isn't a particularly strong draft for those outside, Indigenous players. Somewhere around 40-60 seems about right to me.

Then why select Pickett with the 7th pick?

Haven't seen Gee Dub for a bit so we use Knighta to help out

# 41 Carlton
Brendan Maynard (Sandy Dragons / 186cm / 88kg)

Dannnnnnnnnn you are up

Dean Gore I still have on my draft board before Maynard but either/or would be strong choices for Carlton and would be strong value picks at this point.

I'll go Jack Steele- 186cm, 80kg

I realise that I took a small forward in my last pick in Anderson but Steele is a completely different player. Steele reminds me of ironically, Steele Sidebottom. He started off as a high half forward who kicked goals and moved really well around the packs and transitioned to the midfield and I see Jack as following a similar path.

Steele is really clean and composed with the ball. He makes good decisions and hits a lot of targets. He rarely blazes away and will take an extra couple of steps to steady and make sure he hits it rather than bombing it long or kicking to a contest. It helps that he seems to make decisions quickly which gives him the time to steady himself. He doesn't fumble and has some nice agility which allows him to pick the ball up at pace and move quickly to get out of tight spaces, and can win it on the inside and play as a receiver.

He has a very nice set shot, with a really neat ball drop. He doesn't move his arms much in his run-up and kicks through the ball. I don't see much margin for error in his kicking action and he is pretty reliable.

Steele probably needs to work on his fitness and workrate to transition into the midfield, but after an injury interrupted couple of years he will probably improve in this area. He is more of a footballer than an athlete but who doesn't love a natural footballer who does all of the little things well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I rate Steele. I think long term he'll end up one of the best 15-20 from the crop. Have him around 25 atm and rising. It's pretty difficult to 'bang the door down' in the NEAFL but he really has of late too, which helps.

Pick 44, West Coast, Lukas Webb, 186, 80

Nice mover, neat kick from the limited action I've seen of him, good size and this is something the Eagles require.

You're up Thunderstruck

Last edited:
Pick 45 - Adelaide - Josh Glenn Central District 179cm 77kg

Josh is a mature aged player who looked set to go in the draft last year only to pull out. He looked destined to head down the same path his fellow teamate Paul Marschall went a couple of years prior. Marschall would now probably be owning a half back flank in some AFL side if he went through with it. Glenn decided he wanted another year in the SANFL and it has paid dividends with some standout BOG performances.

Essentially he is a hard running half-back/midfielder who will continue his development into a full time midfielder as his tank builds further. He possesses a fairly long kick and a relentless appetite for the footy, he will be highly demanding of his team mates to give him the ball, or he will just go on and get it himself. Excels at clearances and rebound and inside 50's. End to end footballer, one minute you will see him sweep off half back and then he'll bob up inside 50 or at half forward and hitting a forward. He works hard and that is probably why he stands out so much compared to many around him. There is not one box he doesn't really tick, just that he doesn't tick them all perfectly. His overhead marking for a 179cm player is as good as you could get, plays more like a 185-188cm footballer.

His actual skills are sound but not what I would describe as damaging highly efficient but probably a little above the average. Given that he is still improving, I feel he can really take his game to another level such is his workrate and dedication to the game, a big reason why he did not want to go last year as he knew he had to work on areas of his game, particularly his defensive side which lacked last year but has improved a fair deal this year. He works both ways now and should continue to improve that.

He will be pretty close to ready made for a side needing some run and toughness across the ground. Ideally. he'd start as a half-back in the AFL with some stints on the ball or even as a half-forward where he may be a bit of a goalkicking type working the arc.

He is one of the better players in the SANFL and if he stayed there, he'd be the best in the league by a fair margin and needs a test at another level. He is not vanilla like so many state league mids and will have a role at AFL.

Last edited:
Pick 45 - Adelaide - Josh Glenn Central District 179cm 77kg

No time for write-up at this moment, will do tomorrow but bargain, this bloke is an exceptional footballer.

Will he nominate though?

I don't have time to do a write up and profile but:

Pick 46 - Gold Coast - Josh Clayton

I see Josh as a high upside player who is an above average football player with good size and good scope for improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back