Review Positives and Negatives vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

MrPenguin

Senior List
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
First off, isn't it amazing what a bit of hard work and sticking some tackles can do for your team?

+
We lowered our eyes and actually hit some targets, only some bombing in but when it was it was at least to a 1v1 or 2v2. Honored some beatigfull leads.
Lycett - Thought he played great, gee he really rides his tackles into the ground, love it!
Hurn, Lecras, JK, Big Ezy, all played amazing

-
Masten - what has happened to you fella :(
NicNat - Last quarter was not too bad but the stuff Lycett is doing well (tackling etc) used to be Nic's bread and butter
We got 100 scored against us, but was a high scoring game

We won! And looked impressive whilst doing so. Midfield looked sharp. Gaff, Shuey, Priddis all played amazing. Hurn, Kennedy and Mackenzie too, and a whole host of other players. Missed a fair few gettable goals but cant complain when the team scores 130+.

Only negative i can think of is how poor we were defensively, particularly against the rebound after a turnover.

But all in all, probably the most enjoyable eagles game i witnessed since week 2?

+
Played through the middle more, took some chances and hit up forward targets. Far less bombing.
Priddis played great and did almost no blind bombing.
Lycett looking better and better every week.

-
Hill didn't really do a whole lot for a guy playing for his career (that punch on the Priddis was great though).
I feel like we'll probably still bring Cox back next week.

-
Masten - what has happened to you fella :(
NicNat - Last quarter was not too bad but the stuff Lycett is doing well (tackling etc) used to be Nic's bread and butter
We got 100 scored against us, but was a high scoring game
Having Naitanui as a negative is very, very rough. Thought he played very well.

You may all thank me now for my reverse-jinx of not watching this afternoon - still managed plenty of sneaky looks on BigFooty. Am now settling down with a coffee to enjoy.

Nic Nat provided a lot early on, his taps, tackles and little handballs and knock ons provided plenty of goals when things were tight, harsh to single him out as a negative.

Positives:

Gaff can kick goals
McGovern can play both ends and his body us is excellent
Emac AA credentials improved
Priddis did the little things well and provided great effort in close and actually used handballs well to free up players
Shuey showed a bit more
JK performed when needed against a good(ish) side
Cripps was good early, but faded as usual
Hurn was a BEAST!
Hutchings on Dangerfield and McGinnity on Sloane

Negatives:

Defensive setup was still poor despite having good individual efforts, we gave up easy goals
Darling's kicking is a little off and he still seems weak as piss when he gets the slightest knock
Masten shirked it
Sheed needs to kick those
Goal kicking all round was poor early and we're lucky it didn't cost us (again).

Having Naitanui as a negative is very, very rough. Thought he played very well.

On reflection you are probably right. I just find myself trying to will him on and he just can't go. Obviously fitness but he is getting better and better. His last quarter was great.

On reflection you are probably right. I just find myself trying to will him on and he just can't go. Obviously fitness but he is getting better and better. His last quarter was great.
I do notice at times he misses a few tackles around the packs, so I agree with you on that. Hopefully a full preseason will see him return to beast mode on a more permanent basis.

+
Majority of the team played well
Slick ball movement with good disposal.
Shuey and Gaff starting to become our elite mids.
Priddis continuing a good year.
Kennedy hitting the scoreboard again
Sheed looked better with the limited time on field
Hurn has to be the next captain. Great game

-
Still lacking a bit of midfield depth to help out the guys mentioned
Defensive blunders but not too bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff is averaging 24.5 disposals a game for the past 10 weeks.

And has two bags of three goals in that period.
One thing that still concerns me a bit, loses his footing too often. Need to keep your feet, don't know if its a boots issue, ground condition, running/turning style or all of the above.

He was alright.

Not sure why the hate. Was a bit weak in one marking contest but **** it.

A bit?

He squibbed it. He's a grown man now, not a kid. That was really poor.

I thought he also was completely ineffective in real traffic. He was fine as extra man to a contest receiving the outlet handball or kick.

I like Hutchings. Very clean below his knees, nice kick.

Butler did some nice things as well. A couple of his chip kicks over the top were great.

Only saw the second half, but there was one passage by McGinnity where he spun around and hit up Kennedy. Very classy.

A bit?

I thought he also was completely ineffective in real traffic. He was fine as extra man to a contest receiving the outlet handball or kick.
Yup, great on the outside, but has no strength whatsoever to break or ride a tackle when in close.

A bit?

Yeah it was pretty s**t.

That's always been his role though, to be the outside receiver. He's an okay player. Had an up today though compared to recent weeks.

Running, sticking tackles, leading up and targets being hit. Lycett fitting in nicely & with NN both will be physically working over opposition ruckmen for years to come. Gaff, finally the running goal kicking wingman we want.

What's not to like .....

Who's the odd one out of Bambi, Masten, Cinderella & snow white?

Masten, the other three showed heart in the face of adversity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back