US Open 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Escobedo may be ranked 500+ but he's only 18 years old I think. I've watched a couple of his recent matches closely, very big hitter with a huge serve. Not actually that big a of a loss for Ducks

Can't say I know his game but from what I heard it was a poor loss from Ducky, especially from someone who has qualified for a few slams

Other than Lleyton and Mad Dog, I think it's an okay R1 draw. Hewitt and Tomic in the Ferrer-Berdych quarter also isn't a bad result if it manages to open up a little bit, and Hewitt's path to the QF is soft-ish (not that he will do it). If Federer also fell over, then that half would be absent of a regular GS finalist.

Kyrgios is also in a nice part of the draw, particularly if Wawrinka succumbs to an early exit.

I see lots of opportunity. Matosevic won't be making R2, but most of the other Aussies have an okay-ish Rnd 1, and in some instances have an advantageous draw beyond that.

Looking forward to potential Fed/Dimitrov QF. Also cannot wait for Gasquet to lose those SF points from last year, and begin pissing off from the top 16.

Kyrgios 11am Monday New York is what time in Australia Monday night/tues morning?

Love getting no sleep
The us open has always been 4th on my list of grand slams and the time zone it's in is one of the main reasons. Starts too late to watch it at night and work in the morning.

Darren Cahill mentioned on his twitter account he thinks the courts are playing reasonably fast. So the big servers and hitters will enjoy hearing that.

Not sure why fed isn't the favourite with the bookies. Novak has not been impressive since his wedding and it only takes a small drop off to not be the same effective player. The djokovic/Murray/tsonga quarter will be tough to get out of.

The us open has always been 4th on my list of grand slams and the time zone it's in is one of the main reasons. Starts too late to watch it at night and work in the morning.

Darren Cahill mentioned on his twitter account he thinks the courts are playing reasonably fast. So the big servers and hitters will enjoy hearing that.

Not sure why fed isn't the favourite with the bookies. Novak has not been impressive since his wedding and it only takes a small drop off to not be the same effective player. The djokovic/Murray/tsonga quarter will be tough to get out of.

Have always love the atmosphere at the US Open though. I'm not to fussed about the early morning but playing a match at 1am is the killer.

Good news about the court, this should be the fast court slam, probably turn out to be bogus but we'll see.

Djokovic will have time to get it back especially in these best of 5 set matches, the first few will get him into shape I think and he's too good not too. The 2nd week will surely be interesting for Djoko though. I think the bookies look more at slams results than masters 1000 for the majors.

I don't mind the USO times. To me, the bigger matches are generally later in the schedule anyway, so the USO to me has always been just an early wake up around 4:30am and catching the later matches (in the instances when I have access to seeing it). Monday morning finals are awkward with work, but I generally see most of the important later stage matches without a need for bleary eyes.

Comparatively, I find the French Open hard to watch late at night, the orange glare of the clay doesn't mix well with late tired nights.

Generally I just have FTA and follow radio/live scores for my favourite players, so I don't see as much tennis as I would like, particularly without Aussies in the later stages of slams in recent times.

There is one thing that really bugs me at this slam, the deciding set tie-break.

I'll add my displeasure too! Can't understand why they do it just to be different. Especially when the other 3 slams, Davis Cup & Olympics all play the final set to advantage. The US Open will always be my least favourite slam until they change that rule.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fed is 33 years old and hasn't made a USO final since 2009. Djokovic looked disinterested in his last couple of matches, but I'm willing to bet he'll be re-energised for a slam. Besides, it's not as if Fed has been anything more than serviceable himself since Wimbledon.

Really enjoy the Daily Serve.

Wish fox would do a weekly tennis program like they do with Inside Cricket and the hundreds of s**t football shows

Agree would be handy having a weekly or even fortnightly daily serve type of show

Last edited:
Really enjoy the Daily Serve.

Wish fox would do a weekly tennis program like they do with Inside Cricket and the hundreds of s**t football shows

Yeah, I enjoy Masur/Peacock (I'm assuming that's who they are using again). Good analysis mixed in with good conversation between the two. peacock strikes me as a genuine fan of tennis who knows his stuff which is very rare in that host commentator sort of role.

1 hour to go...

Men's champ: Roger Federer
Women's champ: Serena Williams
Doubles champs: Zimonjic/Nestor

Surprise packet: Feliciano Lopez and Madison Keys
Early casualty: Radwanska and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back