Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that including ones we managed to offload to North, Richmond and West Coast?

I was just thinking about comments Eddie made about the expansion clubs coming in too soon and that there are too many 'spuds' running around at AFL level due to the talented youngster going to the expansion teams and diluting the talent pool. I wonder what percentage of 'spuds' or not AFL standard players to put it nicely landed on Melbourne's list over the years.
Lucas Cook in 2010 would be the worst of it, after that draft was compromised by the GC selections. Maybe 2011 too given we've delisted all of our selections (none of whom were taken in the first round).

I was just thinking about comments Eddie made about the expansion clubs coming in too soon and that there are too many 'spuds' running around at AFL level due to the talented youngster going to the expansion teams and diluting the talent pool. I wonder what percentage of 'spuds' or not AFL standard players to put it nicely landed on Melbourne's list over the years.

Well I know where 40 of the spuds ended up :) .. and yet I still pay my membership following them ..

Not the classiest move if it is Boyd. Then again, we shunted McDonald out the side door. The Dogs can certainly cover the loss of Boyd though... unlike us and McDonald.

At least in his final year with us JMac had a ridiculous run of hammy problems.

At least in his final year with us JMac had a ridiculous run of hammy problems.

Ah, my memory isn't that good. I don't really recall him looking out of his depth though. In Cam Bruce's last season for us he was mishitting a lot of passes and was on the downhill slope - never really got going at the Hawks. Yze was the worst to see. Such a finesse player struggling with his skills, and I really wanted him to clock up 300 games for the club.

Some guys can just keep on going. Boomer Harvey has got a few years left in him, I think.

Ah, my memory isn't that good. I don't really recall him looking out of his depth though. In Cam Bruce's last season for us he was mishitting a lot of passes and was on the downhill slope - never really got going at the Hawks. Yze was the worst to see. Such a finesse player struggling with his skills, and I really wanted him to clock up 300 games for the club.

Some guys can just keep on going. Boomer Harvey has got a few years left in him, I think.

No, he would've been leading our BnF before he got injured - then the 1-2 week hammy turned into like 6-7 :(

Well I know where 40 of the spuds ended up :) .. and yet I still pay my membership following them ..

Yes. I was going to say that you don't need to wonder - just open your eyes and see the field of potatoes.

<Bit harsh, perhaps, but we've got/had more than our fair share of Colibans, Desirees, and Kipflers....>

Hey guys

Dogs fan here. Assuming u guys get pick 3 as compo for frawley, what do you think would be a fair trade for us to trade up from pick 6 to pick 3 and grab wright?

That's a tough one, moving up just a few spots. It's the type i'd look at swapping later round picks, for example: Dees swap first round pick (3) and third round pick (around 40), for Dogs first round pick (6) and second round pick (around 26)

But being a young team, you ideally don't want have the huge gap between drafting at 3 then 40, so I dunno if that'd get done.

That's a tough one, moving up just a few spots. It's the type i'd look at swapping later round picks, for example: Dees swap first round pick (3) and third round pick (around 40), for Dogs first round pick (6) and second round pick (around 26)

But being a young team, you ideally don't want have the huge gap between drafting at 3 then 40, so I dunno if that'd get done.
I wouldn't be giving up our third rounder in that case. The gap between 3 & 6 is more substantial than the gap between 26 and 40.

We'll likely have another pick around 27 for Higgins compo so that may not be a concern.

Any players on our list that might get it done? Would minson be of interest (not minson and 6, for pick 3, but in general)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys

Dogs fan here. Assuming u guys get pick 3 as compo for frawley, what do you think would be a fair trade for us to trade up from pick 6 to pick 3 and grab wright?

We need some quality in the midfield, and I'm not sure you guys are going to offer up McRae or Libba.

Pick 3 gets us that type of player so I just can't see how a deal can be done with the dogs.

We'll likely have another pick around 27 for Higgins compo so that may not be a concern.

Any players on our list that might get it done? Would minson be of interest (not minson and 6, for pick 3, but in general)?

Basically we need mids , so go down your list of young mids you have an offer us one you don't want to lose

Or else we will probably just take brayshaw or McCartin

Minson? How old is he ?

Hey guys

Hrovat and pick 6 for pick 3

I know Roosy wants to trade but if we had 2 and 3, I'd keep them and draft the two best mids available (apparently Petracca and Brayshaw from what you guys say). We have Cross, Vince, Trengove and Jones to nurture them along with Viney, Tyson, Toumpas (?) and others on the fringe like Michie. Feel this gives us a lot of upside, then happy to trade our 2nd rounder and or players for another solid mid or two from another club (like we did to get Vince)

It will all come down to how we rate the talent at 3

If the 3rd best player is a talent that we can't afford to miss out on we will take someone
If we think the brayshaw is about as good as the 5-12th best player we will trade down again

I don't know anything about the draft but there doesn't seem to be the standouts like other years

I know Roosy wants to trade but if we had 2 and 3, I'd keep them and draft the two best mids available (apparently Petracca and Brayshaw from what you guys say). We have Cross, Vince, Trengove and Jones to nurture them along with Viney, Tyson, Toumpas (?) and others on the fringe like Michie. Feel this gives us a lot of upside, then happy to trade our 2nd rounder and or players for another solid mid or two from another club (like we did to get Vince)
Trengove still needs a hell of a lot of nurturing himself.

It will all come down to how we rate the talent at 3

If the 3rd best player is a talent that we can't afford to miss out on we will take someone
If we think the brayshaw is about as good as the 5-12th best player we will trade down again

I don't know anything about the draft but there doesn't seem to be the standouts like other years
From what I've seen Petracca and Brayshaw really are a cut above any of the other midfielders in this draft, particularly the former. The gap is larger than it was between Kelly and Salem.

From what I've seen Petracca and Brayshaw really are a cut above any of the other midfielders in this draft, particularly the former. The gap is larger than it was between Kelly and Salem.

Yeah so if that's the case it would take an incredible offer like Tyson to get the pick from us

I'd be wrapped with brayshaw and petracca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back