Mega Thread Coaching Staff Pickups

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't agree. You seem to think winning is all about experience and not ability and work effort. Our team was 3-10 before making the finals. If we were good enough we could have won a premiership! We did not win a premiership because we were 3-10 like we did not not make the 8. We did not win a premiership because we were not good enough!

If we were good enough next year we could win a premiership. Next year we will not win a premiership not because we haven't won a final. We will not win because we are not good enough to win a GF against the opposition!

You read my comments and came up with that?

winning flags is a combination of experience, skill, work rate and most important of all luck.

Except on rare occasions, you have to take baby steps, learn to walk before you run, and if you have good teachers in the team and on the coaching panel you may if you are very lucky win a flag.

You can put a team together of the most skilful players in the competition, like the GCS have, but without experience you wont even make the finals.

You read my comments and came up with that?

winning flags is a combination of experience, skill, work rate and most important of all luck.

Except on rare occasions, you have to take baby steps, learn to walk before you run, and if you have good teachers in the team and on the coaching panel you may if you are very lucky win a flag.

You can put a team together of the most skilful players in the competition, like the GCS have, but without experience you wont even make the finals.

OMG that is unbelievable IMO, totally!!!!

The most important thing is LUCK!!! OMG I have heard it all!!!!!

So RFC have not won in 30 plus years because we were unlucky!!!

My God if that is the attitude no wonder we haven't won a thing!

Let's sit in our arses and wait for lady luck!!!!

Don't worry about GCS, unless they are morons they will win won or at least make a GF. GWS will do the same and possibly more.

The number one attribute to winning a premiership is ability, then comes work rate, body development and after that experience! After that things like methods of play, coaching on the day and a pretty distant last is lady luck IMO!

That's why clubs like Geelong kept winning despite some clubs deciding to tank!

Last edited:

I would wait for lady luck

lady-luck.gif

Only in your eyes.
If you dig beneath the surface you will find that Newman actually was the player brave enough to remove himself from the bitching and moaning mentality that had our club strangled.
If you ask people at the club it he was responsible for pulling the current playing group away from all of that which was driven by older and former players.
The fantastic attitude of our players right now is in no small way to be attributed to Chris Newman.
Ive said for a long time Rodney that if Newy had been a forward instead of a defender and kicked 500+ goals over 250+ games he would be almost as loved as richo for sticking with the tigers through all the s**t, but because he was in defense most of his career some people dont see him that way. In my opinion it doesnt matter what position you play at our club that when you stick with our club through some of its worst times for 250+ games and still proudly wear the yellow and black week in week out your automatically a f@cken legend in my book and god help the person who tells me otherwise to my face.

Ive said for a long time Rodney that if Newy had been a forward instead of a defender and kicked 500+ goals over 250+ games he would be almost as loved as richo for sticking with the tigers through all the s**t, but because he was in defense most of his career some people dont see him that way. In my opinion it doesnt matter what position you play at our club that when you stick with our club through some of its worst times for 250+ games and still proudly wear the yellow and black week in week out your automatically a f@cken legend in my book and god help the person who tells me otherwise to my face.

Keep posting stuff like that mate and you and i will fast become best friends. We can have sleep overs and stuff :p

The best way to define it would be of you ever speak to Matthew Richardson,ask him what he thinks of Chris Newman and why?
In fact that terrific article from Luke Ablett about Stu Maxfield being posted in another thread was beautifully timed.

Keep posting stuff like that mate and you and i will fast become best friends. We can have sleep overs and stuff :p
HA! thanks for that mate, just saying how i feel about any tiger who gave us good service through all our bad years, its easy to heap praise on players when were doing well but i think its equally important to give credit to the ones who stuck with us through all the bad times as without them there may very well not have been a richmond football club for us to even barrack for. They were the ones who ran out onto the field when we needed them most during all the tin shaking and funding drives and should never be forgotten for thier service to our club.

Not convincing Rod , I will not change on it
This Newman love makes me feel wArm and fuzzy
Even Terry Wallace vigorously defended Chris Newman in his press conference when he was sacked. Do you think he would have done that if he had been knifed by him? Fair dinkum some of the crap that spews from you is absolute fantasy. Get your facts straight occassionally.

HA! thanks for that mate, just saying how i feel about any tiger who gave us good service through all our bad years, its easy to heap praise on players when were doing well but i think its equally important to give credit to the ones who stuck with us through all the bad times as without them there may very well not have been a richmond football club for us to even barrack for. They were the ones who ran out onto the field when we needed them most during all the tin shaking and funding drives and should never be forgotten for thier service to our club.

100% agree mate. You per weekends for sleep overs ?

Even Terry Wallace vigorously defended Chris Newman in his press conference when he was sacked. Do you think he would have done that if he had been knifed by him? Fair dinkum some of the crap that spews from you is absolute fantasy. Get your facts straight occassionally.
Source please as you may convince me as I cannot ever recall the King of Spin saying it

Don't worry about GCS, unless they are morons they will win won or at least make a GF. GWS will do the same and possibly more.

The number one attribute to winning a premiership is ability, then comes work rate, body development and after that experience! After that things like methods of play, coaching on the day and a pretty distant last is lady luck IMO!

That's why clubs like Geelong kept winning despite some clubs deciding to tank!

I gather from your post that I am arguing a point with a teenager, I feel for you that you have never seen us win a flag, if your not a teenager then stop embarrassing yourself.

You have yet again taken what I said out of context, try and focus on more than one thing at a time and you may even learn something.

Of course you need skill, tenacity, experience etc, but once all those are in place you still need the key ingredient luck, take St Kilda, a bad bounce and they end up with a runners up medal, no matter how good you are if you don't get some luck you don't win, simple fact. I could give you many more examples but it seems you are not the type that listens, so lets end this here you have your opinions I have mine.

Source please as you may convince me as I cannot ever recall the King of Spin saying it

Do your own frigging research. It was said. If you don't believe me, go look for yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.aflcentral.com.au/wallace-defends-newman/

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has defended skipper Chris Newman after a tumultous week at the club.

There were reports on Tuesday that Wallace had been sacked as coach – which were later denied by the Tigers.

Wallace refused to comment on whether Newman had asked Wallace to step aside following the Tigers' heartbreaking three-point loss to Port Adelaide last weekend but he did dismiss suggestions of a rift with his captain.

“Look, I think Chris has been hung out to dry in all this,” Wallace said.

“I think that's outrageous – he's been asked to step down on the background of private conversations he's had with me, and I'm sitting here saying I've taken no offence to anything that Chris Newman's spoken to me about."

“I think Chris Newman's been unfairly tainted in this situation - very unfairly tainted in this whole situation."

“I expect my captain to come in and see me under any circumstance."

“All I can say to you is that in a private conversation we had on Monday, there wasn't any slamming of doors or anything like that, the final thing that happened was that we shook hands.”

Wallace also said he won't walk away from the job.

"I will do the job I am asked to do, until I am no longer asked to do it," he said.

"I am not going to break my commitment to Richmond."

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has defended skipper Chris Newman after a tumultous week at the club.

There were reports on Tuesday that Wallace had been sacked as coach – which were later denied by the Tigers.

Wallace refused to comment on whether Newman had asked Wallace to step aside following the Tigers' heartbreaking three-point loss to Port Adelaide last weekend but he did dismiss suggestions of a rift with his captain.

“I think that's outrageous – he's been asked to step down on the background of private conversations he's had with me, and I'm sitting here saying I've taken no offence to anything that Chris Newman's spoken to me about."

“I think Chris Newman's been unfairly tainted in this situation - very unfairly tainted in this whole situation."

“All I can say to you is that in a private conversation we had on Monday, there wasn't any slamming of doors or anything like that, the final thing that happened was that we shook hands.”

"I will do the job I am asked to do, until I am no longer asked to do it," he said.

rfctiger74 with the smackdown lol

My memory is that Northey was paranoid that the club were making moves to replace him with Sheedy, as both of their contracts came out at the same time (and there was a lot of noise that we were in Sheeds ear back then)

Essentially he wanted a one year extension to avoid the Sheeds exit date. The club refused, and it descended to s**t after that.

Fwiw I always thought it was soft by Northey, as he should have backed himself to deliver a second year running, and essentially make himself unsackable.
That's pretty much exactly it. And we were definitely in Sheedy's ear.

Why r they better than Harvey as senior assistants? Harvey been in the caper 15 years and coached two AFL sides.
Have a look at Tudor's record as an assistant; it's ridiculous. Bassett performed wonders with Norwood. I think they're the next two senior coaches in waiting. Harvey is too similar to Hardwick for mine and is likely off to Essendon anyway.

Thanks for that buddy
This took place two weeks before he got the boot

http://m.watoday.com.au/sport/friendly-fire-as-wallace-resigns-as-tiger-coach-20090602-btds.html

Terry basically left with class and Chris was the meat in the sandwich being the skipper and TW played all questions with a straight bat

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallace-plays-a-straight-bat/story-e6frf9jf-1225714751785

Very messy but plausible

Thanks for that buddy
This took place two weeks before he got the boot

http://m.watoday.com.au/sport/friendly-fire-as-wallace-resigns-as-tiger-coach-20090602-btds.html

Terry basically left with class and Chris was the meat in the sandwich being the skipper and TW played all questions with a straight bat

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallace-plays-a-straight-bat/story-e6frf9jf-1225714751785

Very messy but plausible

Yep, forgot to mention the gap in my original post. Everyone decided to go on, but after the two weeks Wallace decided to pull the pin because it was clear his contract wasn't going to be renewed, and the media pressure was relentless (I forgot this bit, but remember the HUN tried to interview his kids at one stage)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ace-resigns-as-tiger-coach-20091124-j6fh.html

anyway, as the mods have requested, back on topic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back