Not open for further replies.

_Me_

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2010
town
AFL Club
Geelong
We lack genuine A grade mids.
Who apart from Selwood and SJ (31 yrs old) is A grade/elite/insert adjective?
Motlop/Duncan/Christensen/Caddy/Guthrie/GHS very well could be but at varying degrees they're not quite yet.
Dangerfield is already one and is still only 24 years old.

agree
but we will not give up Guthrie or Duncan
given he comes for free next year

if he wants to come to geelong , do the deal for him to come as a free agent and do the deal now
we get armi this year and a decent ruck, and then really load up for the flag in 2016

Supercats

Senior List
Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
melbourne stars
We lack genuine A grade mids.
Who apart from Selwood and SJ (31 yrs old) is A grade/elite/insert adjective?
Motlop/Duncan/Christensen/Caddy/Guthrie/GHS very well could be but at varying degrees they're not quite yet.
Dangerfield is already one and is still only 24 years old.

Exactly.

I would trade our first round and pick and Guthrie for Dangerfield. Guthrie is going to be a good player but I think elite may be a stretch. He's not midfielder, more of a bank flanker in my opinion. Danger improves our midfield majorly and I think Bundy is the only other who has potential in becoming an elite midfielder.

Hood007

Premiership Player
May 10, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Danger improves our midfield majorly and I think Bundy is the only other who has potential in becoming an elite midfielder.
Agree. I think Caddy can be too.
Selwood/Dangerfield/Caddy in the centre square for the next 5 years excites me greatly.

Supercats

Senior List
Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
melbourne stars
Agree. I think Caddy can be too.
Selwood/Dangerfield/Caddy in the centre square for the next 5 years excites me greatly.

Forgot Caddy, WTF. Agree and he showed glimpses of it towards the end of the year. Imagine Selwood, Caddy, Bundy and Dangerfield going through the middle and don't forget Stevie J. I know some people are shitty with him here, but he's still elite.

speedybundy

All Australian
Jun 12, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Understand free agency, but I'm telling you 100% that Adelaide would just keep one of the best 5 players in the land for another 12 months and back themselves to convince him to stay if that's all that's offered.

Seriously guys, pick 14 and Guthrie??
Guthrie is an absolute gun but obviously Dangerfield is at another level, that would be close to bare minimum IMO.

I just wonder if Adelaide is keen to avoid another Kurt Tippett fiasco were he warned them with a year left on his contract that he was gone, they backed themselves in to convince him to stay and got bugger all for him. Was also the second most recent time Adelaide got rid of a coach... Probably just coincidence but still

He came across as a smart arse who was a few beers in.
I have no issue with it at all, people seem so precious about footballers... they aren't gods they are footballers... generally not the sharpest tools in the shed.
He is a gun on the field and not a bad boy off it... and would make us a better team instantly

Agree. It always amazes me how high some peoples standards go for others. Danger is 24. He is in his off season. He probably has not had too many brews this year. No pizza, no nights out, not much non footy based activity.

He gets a free night off, (granted a public one) and he gets a bit loose and its seen on camera.
As long as he didn't get into trouble legally, managed his affairs safely through the night im fine with it.

He's allowed to be human and a normal 24 year old footy player hanging out with his mates on the turps.

Go Catters

Last edited:

TheJimmyCartel

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Spurs
Understand free agency, but I'm telling you 100% that Adelaide would just keep one of the best 5 players in the land for another 12 months and back themselves to convince him to stay if that's all that's offered.

Seriously guys, pick 14 and Guthrie??
This is the problem in having no good picks. All the other good players are critical to us going forward - Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Motlop & Caddy are all critical to us moving forward and would not be traded under any circumstances and the rest of our players are either at the higher end of the age bracket or, as much as we rate them as becoming very good footballers, are still young, developing and don't hold enough trade value yet.

This is our whole problem, we have very few players in their prime and the few we have are critical to the team and/or structure.

All we have to offer is Guthrie, Murdoch, GHS, Varcoe, Bartel, Kelly, Rivers, Lonergan, Stokes, SJ etc and none really fit the profile of a prime trade target at the moment.

As I suspected, you don't rate Guthrie as highly as Geelong.
You honestly rate Guthrie as highly as a 22 year old consensus all Australian? Come on man.

Guthrie is great. He's everything I'd love Mitch wallis to be, but isn't. He's great talent, but that's massive home town bias to rate him on the same level as Brodie smith.

As I suspected, you don't rate Guthrie as highly as Geelong.
You honestly rate Guthrie as highly as a 22 year old consensus all Australian? Come on man.

Guthrie is great. He's everything I'd love Mitch wallis to be, but isn't. He's great talent, but that's massive home town bias to rate him on the same level as Brodie smith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not talking of what they have achieved to date. As I said, I'm talking of how their respective clubs would rate them and to what extent they would be willing to trade them. Adelaide and Geelong would be equally reluctant to trade those players given their expectations of what they will become and their importance to their sides.

Jul 27, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
I'm not talking of what they have achieved to date. As I said, I'm talking of how their respective clubs would rate them and to what extent they would be willing to trade them. Adelaide and Geelong would be equally reluctant to trade those players given their expectations of what they will become and their importance to their sides.
I've probably seen more Adelaide games than most Geelong supporters, and without being able to speculate as to just how Guthrie and Smith's respective clubs rate them, I know which player I'd prefer, and it's not Guthrie. I love Guthrie, don't get me wrong, but Brodie Smith is a seriously talented player. Hopefully Guthrie goes up in my estimations next year to Brodie's level, because it can only mean that he's helping the team out more than ever.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I've probably seen more Adelaide games than most Geelong supporters, and without being able to speculate as to just how Guthrie and Smith's respective clubs rate them, I know which player I'd prefer, and it's not Guthrie. I love Guthrie, don't get me wrong, but Brodie Smith is a seriously talented player. Hopefully Guthrie goes up in my estimations next year to Brodie's level, because it can only mean that he's helping the team out more than ever.
I think we all thought Guthrie was going to really rise to another level this year with what he showed in the 2014 preseason, but he didn't in the end. So I agree that Brodie Smith is better at the moment. There were times watching Guthrie I began to think that maybe he has a bit of an attitude problem with some of his actions on the ground. Maybe he just needs to mature more, who knows. But I'm not sold that he's a midfielder at this stage, and think we might be better with him back in defence, rotating through the midfield.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
The argument is not who is the better player out of Smith and Guthrie. The argument is that they are both equally not tradeable commodities. Does anyone seriously think we are going to trade Guthrie, a kid from Melbourne, to Adelaide? It is a ridiculous notion that is not even worth discussing.

One of my pet hates in trade week is people coming up with fanciful trades. Clubs do not trade good players unless there are circumstances that demand that player going. This is just all garbage for the likes of Jon 'you have to give something to get something' Ralph.

Well no Jon, you actually don't have to do that. Because there is a thing called free agency and you would be stupid to trade a good player out of your system. In the real world it simply never happens.

Rant over.

The argument is not who is the better player out of Smith and Guthrie. The argument is that they are both equally not tradeable commodities.
I glad somebody gets it!

Tackle_happy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2011
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Geelong

Guthrie butchers the ball too much to be considered great. He is good. Shows glimpses of great ... then does the most stupid kicks, handballs I have ever seen and gifts the opposition the ball/goals because of it.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Guthrie butchers the ball too much to be considered great. He is good. Shows glimpses of great ... then does the most stupid kicks, handballs I have ever seen and gifts the opposition the ball/goals because of it.

Guthrie's quality of disposal is his best attribute. He made quite a few uncharacteristic errors by foot towards the end of the season, but they cannot be taken as representative of his footskills in general. He's simply experiencing growing pains and will be better for the experience; indeed, I see a lot of parallels between Guthrie's atypical disposal mistakes this year, and the difficulties Duncan went through in the same area in 2013. Both are exceptional ball users - Duncan in particular is absolutely elite in this regard, and probably the cleanest/silkiest player on our list - but they're also young and prone to lapses in confidence and form. In 2013 Guthrie made the fewest mistakes by hand and foot I've ever seen from a 20 year old defender at AFL level, and was our best finals performer. You can't fluke that kind of sustained excellence. Duncan eventually got his disposal back to his default 'elite' level, and so will Cam.

His skills are his strength, not his weakness.

Claude Balls

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 30, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Guthrie for me rounds out the list of players young enough to be on the list for a potential 10th flag, who are also completely established. It's a small list IMO, comprising only 9 names, which highlights our desperate need to draft some genuinely high calibre kids in this and next year's draft.

I think I'd rather miss out on Dangerfield altogether than do something like snag an extra first rounder and then trade that AND pick 14 to the Crows.

Guthrie's quality of disposal is his best attribute. He made quite a few uncharacteristic errors by foot towards the end of the season, but they cannot be taken as representative of his footskills in general. He's simply experiencing growing pains and will be better for the experience; indeed, I see a lot of parallels between Guthrie's atypical disposal mistakes this year, and the difficulties Duncan went through in the same area in 2013. Both are exceptional ball users - Duncan in particular is absolutely elite in this regard, and probably the cleanest/silkiest player on our list - but they're also young and prone to lapses in confidence and form. In 2013 Guthrie made the fewest mistakes by hand and foot I've ever seen from a 20 year old defender at AFL level, and was our best finals performer. You can't fluke that kind of sustained excellence. Duncan eventually got his disposal back to his default 'elite' level, and so will Cam.

His skills are his strength, not his weakness.
Thanks, you saved me the bother. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back