Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 83592

i mean brisbane lions are so irrelevant the dogs have more supporters than them. Yet they think they have the positions of power and the umitigated nerve of trying to play hardball with us. They better learn fast that they better get ready to take what ever piece of superstar that is actually willing to go there and not attempt to play hardball and thinking they have a choice.

hurts much?

I don't buy the whole culture argument. Whether it's a first or fifth year player, you'll still be sacrificing someone to bring Beams in. Dumping an older player who's made good friends in the playing group over an extended period is arguably worse from a culture perspective imo.

Absolutely right as a generalisation. I think it probably gets a little easier in the current environment though where player movement is increasingly lubricated and contract status seems to be losing its importance. Will more likely be players who are willing put their hands up to explore other opportunities that can be used in trade scenarios without it becoming a thing.

Patfull for example... seemingly happy to explore a move to Sydney but happy to stay. Just a matter of identifying those possibilities.

You're agreeing with me...it's tricky, as the contracted player is requesting a trade to Brisbane...Having said that it's rare a player doesn't get to their club of choice...The ''humanitarian" reasons are to fill his fathers wish to see him play with his brother...I get the feeling Connors will be playing the duty of care card here....Claye is on the Brisbane list...to fill the "humanitarian" angle both players would need to be traded to the Suns for that to become a reality...unlikely
Sorry but you just made that crap up. The only humanitarian grounds are for him to be with his sick father. Playing with his brother is not a condition that Collingwood would even pay any heed to.

Even if Bomber has his feet under the desk on Monday morning I can't forsee a "family values" coach like him just trading out loyal players to free cap space before he has any idea of the personality dynamics of their list. Most new coaches generally sit on things for a year in a list management sense before making the major changes... let alone coaches who are appointed in the middle of the trade period.

Especially at a club with a clear organisational separation of powers - Ashcroft and Clayton run the list management show there and have a clear path they are following in drafting their own and bringing them through as a tight knit group.

I could be wrong but I just don't see this changing the dynamic with Beams. I'm sure a Herald Sun journo will try and draw the lines at some stage though!

You are just hoping it doesn't.

It's not like a superstar premiership AA BnF winning 24 yo doesn't fit in with their talent and age profile...

Ablett's shoulder is a mess. They need a plan B....eams

Beams and 22 (Lumumba pick) for 7,14 and Lonergan.

That would be my most realistic ideal swap.

Welcome to Collingwood - Jayden Laverde, Darcy Moore, Jordan DeGoey, Jesse Lonergan.
We can only hope :D

View attachment 83592

i mean brisbane lions are so irrelevant the dogs have more supporters than them. Yet they think they have the positions of power and the umitigated nerve of trying to play hardball with us. They better learn fast that they better get ready to take what ever piece of superstar that is actually willing to go there and not attempt to play hardball and thinking they have a choice.

National competition....AFL got it wrong with expanding when they did, without first really establishing their brand in that frontier by enticing fans and increasing membership numbers...Now that they have invested those mega dollars in that market they'll make sure it works....

Sorry but you just made that crap up. The only humanitarian grounds are for him to be with his sick father. Playing with his brother is not a condition that Collingwood would even pay any heed to.

Sorry I didn't make it up...
The former All-Australian and premiership player is contracted for next year but told club president Eddie McGuire and coach Nathan Buckley on Wednesday that he wants to play alongside his brother Claye at the Brisbane Lions.

It is understood that Beams' father, who lives on the Gold Coast, had suggested the boys try to play together

www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwoods-beams-in-bid-to-go-home-20140924-10lkmt.html#ixzz3ErWr98je

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is understood that Beams' father, who lives on the Gold Coast, had suggested the boys try to play together

That's a really lovely idea :hearts:

Let's make it happen :thumbsu:

What would Brisbane accept as a fair trade for Claye to the Suns?

As I said, it is not a humanitarian ground and it is unlikely Collingwood would pay any heed to it. The only humanitarian grounds Collingwood would consider of substance would be to be near his sick father. If it was about playing alongside his brother he would be told how to whistle Dixie.

Doubt it... as I said it's rare that a player doesn't get to their club of choice...Pies need GC to enter into this to get a trade war happening...The Suns, this year need to decrease salary cap and players to be in line with the rest of the AFL ...It's hard for them to get involved if they don't have the room to move...

I remember when Mick left he said, Eddie was more about the club being first and no one can get in the way, while Mick described himself as a people person and that the players come first. If the players are happy and love where they are, the club will naturally be better off, I agreed with that 100%. I think Buckley has taken the mentality of Eddie as well and is more worried about the professionalism of the players then creating a happy place at the club.
So, at my work I'm the boss of 10 people. I put them before the interests of the organisation. I let them come in late, go home early, long lunches, let them browse internet all day and give them a bonus at the end of the year. Do they love me, of course, they also reckon this is the best place to work. But is it good for the organisation? You are a smart guy, work it out.

Doubt it... as I said it's rare that a player doesn't get to their club of choice...Pies need GC to enter into this to get a trade war happening...The Suns, this year need to decrease salary cap and players to be in line with the rest of the AFL ...It's hard for them to get involved if they don't have the room to move...

Do you actually know this or just guessing? I would suggest guessing...

Lol, his Dad suggesting the boys play together is hardly a 'dying wish'.

Playing with Claye is a secondary requirement compared with returning to qld. Get your head out of your arse.

Point was Beams requested to Coach & President to go to Brisbane

Last edited:
So, at my work I'm the boss of 10 people. I put them before the interests of the organisation. I let them come in late, go home early, long lunches, let them browse internet all day and give them a bonus at the end of the year. Do they love me, of course, they also reckon this is the best place to work. But is it good for the organisation? You are a smart guy, work it out.
Any vacancies mate? Seem's I'm well qualified for this position.

No idea, I wouldn't expect it to be divulged, but Buckley said they had considered it.
Toyed with the idea of potentailly getting him. No doubt about, no holds barred. Hard to believe we ended up in this position really. Just bad luck I guess.

Ablett's shoulder is a mess. They need a plan B....eams

Beams and 22 (Lumumba pick) for 7,14 and Lonergan.

That would be my most realistic ideal swap.

Welcome to Collingwood - Jayden Laverde, Darcy Moore, Jordan DeGoey, Jesse Lonergan.

We wish. That would be a great outcome. Won't happen though :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back