List Mgmt. Swans Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

That moment against Puopolo is going to stay with him for a long time. The coaches were quite happy to play him on small forwards all year - and he was doing a good job too, might I add - until that moment arrived on national television and it looks horrible.

I hope he does get another shot at it because I thought his play in the side went quite underrated this year. Perfect addition to our defence and while he doesn't have the eye-catching explosiveness of Gary Rohan, he does his job every bit as well in his own way I feel.

Is Laidler best 22? I feel he is but I have been struggling with whether he is or not.
Depends On where Reid plays for me , if Reid goes back then probably not but if Reid stays forward I could see Laidler playing ( 3rd tall ) and letting Rampe and Rohan play a more attacking role with Mal gone.

Thought he played very well at times during the year , just an awkward size at 190cm as he is too short for most KFF and not fast enough for some smalls.

Still think McVeigh will play a number of roles , HB and HF at times. Don't think he will be cemented just at HB.

Not sure what they have planned for Reid as atm he is a non excitant 3/4 tall. Looking forward to Pre season training to see what they have planned for him.

Wouldn't be surprised if Horse leaves his love child forward

Laidler is probably in the 22 best players in our squad, but i don't think he sneaks into to our starting 22.
the medium defender is a role one that we've got quite a bit of depth in with the likes of Rampe, smith, shaw rohan and macca all able to play it but have more strings to their bow than laids.

Rohan has pace to burn and can play both ends. Rampe's got a great kick, can play tall and small and continues to improve. Shaw adds experience and pace. Macca points a lot and can play anywhere on the park. and smith is the best at what he does in the league.

So i think the problem with jezza is that while he's good at what he does, he's not elite at it and he's doesn't have the versatility others have to warrant a spot in the best 22. Really good depth player to have which im sure will get games in 2015 though

Ted, Goodes, Shaw. They are the boys who's names I dance around and say, but they have to be in there... don't they? If I look at the guys potentially being left out for them you know it's a risk but even 70% of their best is sensational & enough when compared.

Rest them more. Sub them in/out. Make sure we get their best when we need it. Precious commodities in 2015.

Ted, Goodes, Shaw. They are the boys who's names I dance around and say, but they have to be in there... don't they? If I look at the guys potentially being left out for them you know it's a risk but even 70% of their best is sensational & enough when compared.

Rest them more. Sub them in/out. Make sure we get their best when we need it. Precious commodities in 2015.

We have to assume that all 3 will have a serious dip in form this year. Someone should make a best 22 that excludes T.Richards, Shaw and Goodes and see what it looks like.

B Smith - Richards - Reid
HB Rohan - Grundy - Shaw
C Lloyd - kennedy - McVeigh
HF Mcglynn - buddy - Hannerbry
F Goodes - Tippet - K.Jack
R Pyke - Parker - Mitchell
Int Jetta - Bird - Heeney - Cunningham

Is Laidler best 22? I feel he is but I have been struggling with whether he is or not.

I feel like he's a depth player, I don't have him in the best 22. He's not athletic nor is he a particularly good kick, and I remember him being badly exposed one on one v Hawthorn in the H&A match at the MCG. He's flexible though, and can play on small or medium sized forwards, so is cover if a Rampe or Smith gets injured. If (god forbid) Ted or Grundy got injured, Rampe might be asked to take a KPF and he could take the third tall. Because this situation is so undesirable, it is important that games are put into Aliir and X Richards at senior level, or else we draft/pick up another KPD.

That moment against Puopolo is going to stay with him for a long time. The coaches were quite happy to play him on small forwards all year - and he was doing a good job too, might I add - until that moment arrived on national television and it looks horrible.

I hope he does get another shot at it because I thought his play in the side went quite underrated this year. Perfect addition to our defence and while he doesn't have the eye-catching explosiveness of Gary Rohan, he does his job every bit as well in his own way I feel.

Horse got a lot of match ups wrong against Hawks or Hawks made the match ups theirs, I don't know which. But Grundy on Gunston, Laids on Puoppolo, Smith on Bruest, we lost both matches where the match ups were all wrong. The one that counted though there were too many s**t match ups and we couldn't stand the pressure.

Laids should never be played on a very fast tough small forward, he is too slow. That is what Smithy, rohan & Rampe are for. although Rampe can play on talls I would prefer he played on mid size forwards, third tall if you know my meaning. Rohan can play on talls & small and showed he is capable of taking on the ruckman and spoiling him. Interesting what could come of that. I like Jones too and I think he brings more to the table than Rhyce. He has aggression, speed, tackling pressure, shepherding/blocking, tight defensively. The last for mine is very important. Swans have overlooked Rhyce's looseness and bad decision making as far as two tackling and leaving his player free because of his drive out of defence. But more & more he gets caught or panics and puts other players under pressure. I too think we need to try KPD's, Aliir & X. Richards.

We also need to tweak the ruck as I believe we are predictable and Tip is not a Ruckman, he is a FF. We need to look at playing two rucks in matches next season. Port have recruited Paddy Rider for this purpose. We need to look at our team balance & decide what is the best balance against the particular opposition we are playing.

For mine there is nor best 22. There is only a list of players we should consider in different games in the season. For instance we could either approach Port with a very fast squad or a very tough hard tackling one or a bit of both. I think bit of both beats Port. We didn't really go for speed against Hawks, it was wa=hat was seen as our best side to play a particular brand of footy, which failed in the minor round and was annihilated in the GF. We need to rethink this and players like Towers, Heeney, Hewett, Nankervis, x. Richards & Aliir should be in the mix.

So this is what I am proposing. Every game has it's own squad that will be a better match against that team. Don't worry too much about experience, look at Port they didn't, worry about talent and ability to do the job. We are too staid and don't take enough risks, we need to change and get much more proactive instead of defensive. I am not saying get rid of defence at all, I am saying we have to be the team making the play, not waiting to tackle the team making the play.

We need to sack Dew from the mid rotations & strategies, either that or bring in someone to help. He is on the bloody nose and we are hopeless in that area. George Stone left a huge gap. Stoppages were terrible last season and clearances even worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see Rhyce in the same vein as the other two. Goodsie & Teddy are both All Australians and Shaw has never come close. Rhyce is an ordinary footballer, who makes monumantal mistakes, like double teaming a player while leaving his opponent alone to get the ball abnd kick a goal. He isn't a tight defender, he is a back clearance player, a run & carry who is now being boxed in because every team knows where he will run. I think he days are numbered. Her is old, slowing down and getting caught too often, his delivery (never top quality) is now very ordinary & he panics under pressure.

I feel like he's a depth player, I don't have him in the best 22. He's not athletic nor is he a particularly good kick, and I remember him being badly exposed one on one v Hawthorn in the H&A match at the MCG. He's flexible though, and can play on small or medium sized forwards, so is cover if a Rampe or Smith gets injured. If (god forbid) Ted or Grundy got injured, Rampe might be asked to take a KPF and he could take the third tall. Because this situation is so undesirable, it is important that games are put into Aliir and X Richards at senior level, or else we draft/pick up another KPD.

We are picking up Abe Davis from the Academy. He is being groomed as a tall defender. !95cm, 91kg. Was a forward but in Rams they started playing him back and he shone. Did the same for Swans and should have played back in the GF. I agree we need to get games into Xav & Aliir. Grundy is very dicey under big pressure and his delivery can be sus. his punching toward the opposition goal was astounding in the finals, you never do that! It opens up the goal and is asking them to kick goals.

We are picking up Abe Davis from the Academy. He is being groomed as a tall defender. !95cm, 91kg. Was a forward but in Rams they started playing him back and he shone. Did the same for Swans and should have played back in the GF. I agree we need to get games into Xav & Aliir. Grundy is very dicey under big pressure and his delivery can be sus. his punching toward the opposition goal was astounding in the finals, you never do that! It opens up the goal and is asking them to kick goals.

Agree with most of your points, I see Abe as a long term work in progress as either a KPD or KPF, definitely not ready-made. I do think Grundy is more often than not a good field kick though, can be known to give away silly frees when 1v1 with the oppositions key forward however.

Agree with most of your points, I see Abe as a long term work in progress as either a KPD or KPF, definitely not ready-made. I do think Grundy is more often than not a good field kick though, can be known to give away silly frees when 1v1 with the oppositions key forward however.

Yes Reg for some reason never lifts his arms when he takes control of the ball. He always keeps them low. That is why he gets pinned HTB or ID. I tell you what sides do to him because it works. Reg doesn't like intense pressure, nor does Shaw and to a lesser extent Teddy. The opposition give Reg room and man up on all our players and Reg then stumbles around not knowing what to do. It is pressure of a different kind. It means he must make a decision or find a player, he rarely does under those circumstances. Hawks do it all the time. What he should be doing is running straight down the guts to open them up but not being a natural running player he doesn't often think of this option. He did it a couple of times against Freo and I was shocked that he actually took them on.

This is the 2015 team to take us all the way. Ive tried to eliminate some choco soldiers. I want to see the skills of Hewett and Heeney in. I want to see the hardness of Mitchell and Jones in. I want to see the monster unleashed in Nankervis. Make it happen Longmire!

B
Smith - Richards - Grundy
HB Mcveigh - Reid - Rampe
C Hannebery - Mitchell - K.Jack
HF Mcglynn - Franklin - Jetta
F Rohan - Tippet - Nankervis
R Pyke - Parker - Kennedy
Int Goodes - Hewett - Jones - sub Heeney

This is the 2015 team to take us all the way. Ive tried to eliminate some choco soldiers. I want to see the skills of Hewett and Heeney in. I want to see the hardness of Mitchell and Jones in. I want to see the monster unleashed in Nankervis. Make it happen Longmire!

B
Smith - Richards - Grundy
HB Mcveigh - Reid - Rampe
C Hannebery - Mitchell - K.Jack
HF Mcglynn - Franklin - Jetta
F Rohan - Tippet - Nankervis
R Pyke - Parker - Kennedy
Int Goodes - Hewett - Jones - sub Heeney

Nankervis, lol, you mean Naismith.

No I mean Nankervis. Check out his U18 Championship write ups.
Check out Richard Tambling's U18 Championship write ups. Absolutely dominant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back