Remove this Banner Ad

And/or Luke Thompson from Adelaide.
so for me itd go...
preference 1. Thompson
2. Handringham
3. Blease
4. Jetta
5. Robinson

I know Robinson is basically 'free'. I know he only takes a list spot (which needs filling). I know he fits our age profile. I know his football has some positive attributes. I know he would be an asset for our youngsters in the NEAFL. I realise his recruitment makes a lot of sense.

But geez he's a ****head.

And/or Luke Thompson from Adelaide.
so for me itd go...
preference 1. Thompson
2. Handringham
3. Blease
4. Jetta
5. Robinson
Why would you prefer these players above a proven first 22 player? Fair dinkum, people are letting their personal perceptions of the bloke interfere with their judgement of his football ability. At the end of the day he is free and could potentially improve the side.

I know Robinson is basically 'free'. I know he only takes a list spot (which needs filling). I know he fits our age profile. I know his football has some positive attributes. I know he would be an asset for our youngsters in the NEAFL. I realise his recruitment makes a lot of sense.

You'd suspect that he's about as irritating as a gammy appendix.

Why would you prefer these players above a proven first 22 player? Fair dinkum, people are letting their personal perceptions of the bloke interfere with their judgement of his football ability. At the end of the day he is free and could potentially improve the side.

If he's proven 22 why is Carlton delisting him?

If he's proven 22 why is Carlton delisting him?

Because he'd also make the starting midfield rotation of Carlton's Dickhead Team of the Century.

I'm supportive of what Swanny and Leppa decide to do. They certainly don't seem like they are making decisions without careful consideration.

If he is though he'll be OUR dickhead.

I'd take a punt on Shaun McKernan and Robinson. I think that would still only take us to 39 players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any opposition supporters probably think Zorko, Rocky and Sauce are dickheads too because they all have that very combative in your face aggressive style and occasionally step over the mark. And the great A. lynch is regarded by many as a thug. I don't have any problem with the way Robinson plays at all, he's not as dirty (imp) as guys like Stevie J or Ballantyne (amongst others ie Judd?).

Needs to sort out his issues off the field though. In saying that even a few of our champions Voss and Blacky have been involved in unsavoury incidents so it can happen to anyone. Dickheads target afl players and sometimes after a few drinks it's easy to bite back. Mitch needs to learn to walk away. Probably as much the mates he has around him too.

Last edited:
I'd take a punt on Shaun McKernan and Robinson. I think that would still only take us to 39 players.
Always thought Mckernan was talented. Has definitely stagnated after a couple of promising seasons early. Would consider him for bigamist depth as a more mature body who can play key post or in the ruck.

Not sure any film has done James Ellroy's work justice. Not saying that's easy to do, btw.

For a book considered unfilmable, reckon Helgeland wrote a brilliant screenplay.

Ellroy gave it the thumbs up.

The book is untouchable though, and a different beast in many ways.

I've never understood why folks describe the Voss/Black altercation as unsavoury. If I had a pool ball piffed at me or a mate I sure as hell would've been wading in.

Because he'd also make the starting midfield rotation of Carlton's Dickhead Team of the Century.

I'm supportive of what Swanny and Leppa decide to do. They certainly don't seem like they are making decisions without careful consideration.
The thing is, Carlton aren't short of dickheads (though Mick seems to be weeding them out). While one club is tossing out dickheads, many here seem to be advocating us gaining one. There are 2 predominant arguments for us doing so;
  1. He has some footballing upside. I don't dispute this, but Carlton could probably use a decent footballer as much or more than us (though our footballers have a bit of developing to go), yet they have valued the riddance of dickheads over keeping him. Some behavioural issues can be overlooked for the returns gained on ability. Voss and Black being involved in a pub scuffle for example, is easily pushed aside considering what they brought to the team. If a dickhead played like Abblett or J. Selwood, I probably wouldn't care so much if he had a habit of shitting in the Queen St Mall, but does Mitch's football prowess outweigh his dickheadness?
  2. Everyone's been a dickhead at some time in their life. To me, this is a ridiculous argument. I'm not interested in whether his antics or behaviour should be adjudged as making him a bad or good person, or what sort of human being he should be viewed as. He is no worse than many hundreds of young men his age. That doesn't make him suitable to be a valuable member of our team. It doesn't make it okay to be an influence on any of our young blokes. Hell, I used to binge drink 4 nights a week when I was a youngster, not something I would recommend for anyone and certainly not something acceptable for a listed player of The Lions. Just because others (myself included) have been dickheads sometime in their life doesn't make it okay for our club to employ one.
The one argument that does make sense and the one I accept, is that we can or should have faith in our coach, list manager and CEO, and I do. Despite my misgivings and protestations, if the club decides he has a place here, that is the one reason I accept, and I will.

Herpes is free too. Just because something is free doesn't always mean it's good.

You can keep the herpes and Robinson too.

Thanks but no thanks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back