Competitions 2014 Hawk Board Phantom Draft (Complete)

Remove this Banner Ad

its true how your mind changes, i had 1 guy i was keen on, but i must've rated him highly before i had watched much footage, for example i watched around 100 highlights on both youtube and the afl site and read some stuff on each and i saw this guy earlish, held him in high regard, then when i rewatched the footage i was like, maybe i over-rated him or in some cases under-rated him, but yea it takes me 30 mins or so before i make a solid decision whereas recruiters get 3-4 mins on a table, but they do have a team to discuss their decisions with

and have all draftees lined up from 1 through to 100+.
However they may have 2,3 or up to 4 on equal billing - then go to discussion

I can't wait for picks 49 and 50
Just like with the first pick where I was hoping either Blakely or Lamb would slip but got snapped up just picks before both Glenn and Smith have gone in recent picks so I have no idea what I'm going to do with these picks just yet.

The Dawg must be having a Mad time this Friday night. Well, give him til 11 tomorrow morning, if no pick, who ever is next available in Paige's draft and move on to the highly anticipated Hawthorn picks!

I think we've gone at a good pace so far, so shouldn't have too much trouble going into the fifth round, and likely finish after weekend next.

Here are some names that are still left in the pot

Jaden McGrath, Teia Miles, Dan Howe, Jack Cripps, Matt Hammelmann, Lukas Webb, Josh Deluca-Cardillo, Nathan Drummond, Brenton Payne, James Rose, Matthew Goodyear, Oleg Markov, Cory Gregson, Tom Wilkingson, Jason Castagna, Harrison Wigg, Ed Langdon, Declan Hamilton, Harry Dear......

Pick 48: Collingwood - Harrison Wigg

Position: Defender/midfielder
Height: 179 cm, Weight: 74 kg, DOB: 14/10/1996
Recruited from: North Adelaide
Player style: Taylor Duryea

The Collingwood recruiting team had to call for extra time for this selection after it fell outside work hours and into happy hour. Further time was asked for when the team arrived home in a state of intoxication likened to Mitch Robinson on a Monday morning training session.

However, with clear heads we identified the slipping Wigg and snaffled him up happily.

Wigg is a beautiful, left-foot kick of the football and he led the championships in disposal efficiency at 79 per cent playing predominately across half-back.

Wigg was named MVP for the champion Croweaters at the Nationals, also gaining All-Australian selection with stats of 18.6 disposals 3.3 marks, 2.3 tackles, 1.3 clearances and two inside 50s in his six games.

Wigg is adept at taking an intercept marks across half-back, then setting up scoring opportunities with his kicking skills.

His size may work against him at the top level and he is mostly an outside player at the moment, although he has been successfully playing as a midfielder at colts level so a future transition into the midfield could be on the cards.

Okay its time for Hair of the Dawg now!

Gunstall555 you got the next couple

Last edited:
Here are some names that are still left in the pot

Jaden McGrath, Teia Miles, Dan Howe, Jack Cripps, Matt Hammelmann, Lukas Webb, Josh Deluca-Cardillo, Nathan Drummond, Brenton Payne, James Rose, Matthew Goodyear, Oleg Markov, Cory Gregson, Tom Wilkingson, Jason Castagna, Harrison Wigg, Ed Langdon, Declan Hamilton, Harry Dear......
So I'm concerned why you didn't release the other half of my shortlist. Will have to find the leak in the recruiting department but fyi, I know the doghouse is desperate and all but Melbourne is the last team you want to 'commandeer' draft knowledge from ;)

Oh and that's cruel MadDawg , Magpies don't even need another half back, you just want the South Australian MVP all to yourself, which is selfish, very in character :( Hopefully you haven't gone the full mile yet and removed some of your teeth ;)

He was meant to slide SSSSSS not cool! :D Nick should be around, plenty of time for him to post, but if he doesn't his 2nd preference from last pick is still on the board, so will just use that if we have to.

A few have had interrupted year with injuries, like most of the talls and a few, such as Brayshaw sat out the combine because of an injury, but nothing major. There's one good player who's in a moonboot right now who may get picked up soon ;)
Ya gotta tell me now...who's in the moonboot? Has he been selected yet? Is it Harry?

So I'm concerned why you didn't release the other half of my shortlist. Will have to find the leak in the recruiting department but fyi, I know the doghouse is desperate and all but Melbourne is the last team you want to 'commandeer' draft knowledge from ;)

Oh and that's cruel MadDawg , Magpies don't even need another half back, you just want the South Australian MVP all to yourself, which is selfish, very in character :( Hopefully you haven't gone the full mile yet and removed some of your teeth ;)

i found the other half of your list........Daniel Capiron, Dillon Viojo-Rainbow, Jordan Cunico, Josh McGuinness, Daniel Butler, Jackson Nelson :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jackson Nelson would be nice at 49.
I'm thinking so to...if only I got to pick..oh wait I do :) will drop my picks shortly with write up to come later today.

I woke up this morning and have noticed this

The_Hangover_missingtooth.jpg

my recruiting method is get best available, especially for a bottom of the ladder team who barely has 22 AFL standard players on their list........they just need good players

Pick 49: Hawthorn - Jackson Nelson

Position:
Half Back / Midfield
Height: 187 cm
Weight: 80 kg
DOB: 08/05/1996
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Player style: Luke Hodge

After watching his highlights video (http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-13/jackson-nelson-highlights) I don't know if he is left or right footed and I don't care as kicking from either side of his body seems very natural. I am STUNNED he has dropped to pick 49 because he is the best under 18 half back in the country. Jackson regularly racked up 20+ possession games in TAC cup. Was a solid contributor to the Vic Country team.

This kid will provide the leadership our backline will need when Luke Hodge decides to eventually hang up his boots.

MadDawg thank you for over looking Jackson for the clearly inferior Harrison Wigg.

Gunstall555 over to you!

Last edited:
Pick 50: Hawthorn - Harry Dear

Position:
Tall Forward / Ruck
Height: 197 cm
Weight: 98 kg
DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Player style: Jonathan Brown

HarryDear227ptcn1.jpg

If this were the real AFL draft I wouldn't be taking him with this pick, but as we are all Hawthorn fans here I doubt he'll be here at pick 68. After getting big wins with sliders such Ellis and Nelson, and with Lowden moving on and with rumours of Grimley being shown the door this seems like the perfect pick to select a player on a needs basis. I'm also a big fan of taking father sons with weird hair (JPK III this is where you went wrong).

Harry has spent a large part of the season injured and will need time to reshape his 98kgs into an AFL type body. From year 2 on our list I can picture him being the best big man in the VFL with opportunities to make a senior team debut in year 3.

Harry is an excellent kick at goal and can also provide a bit of ruck relief. I would have compared him to Kurt Tippett instead of Jono Brown, but quite frankly there is no way Brian Lake could use this man as a step ladder, nor would Brad Hill be able to sling him to the ground like a rag doll in a tackle. Also Kurt is a bit s**t in the ruck.

Other players considered for this pick. Not telling because I don't want them gone before pick 68.

hfc70 don't let Adam Simpson down with your next pick.

Pick 49: Hawthorn - Harry Dear

Position:
Tall Forward / Ruck
Height: 197 cm
Weight: 98 kg
DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Player style: Jonathan Brown

HarryDear227ptcn1.jpg

If this were the real AFL draft I wouldn't be taking him with this pick, but as we are all Hawthorn fans here I doubt he'll be here at pick 68. After getting big wins with sliders such Ellis and Nelson, and with Lowden moving on and with rumours of Grimley being shown the door this seems like the perfect pick to select a player on a needs basis. I'm also a big fan of taking father son's with weird hair (JPK III this is where you went wrong).

Harry has spent a large part of the season injured and will need time to reshape his 98kgs into an AFL type body. From year 2 on our list I can picture him being the best big man in the VFL with opportunities to make a senior team debut in year 3.

Harry is an excellent kick at goal and can also provide a bit of ruck relief. I would have compared him to Kurt Tippett instead of Jono Brown, but quite frankly there is no way Brian Lake could use this man as a step ladder, nor would Brad Hill be able to sling him to the ground like a rag doll in a tackle. Also Kurt is a bit s**t in the ruck.

Other players considered for this pick. Not telling because I don't want them gone before pick 68.

hfc70 don't let Adam Simpson down with your next pick.

i'd put him in the group with Jack Cripps and Matt Hammelmann, developing tall forw, he is competitive in the ruck also, i like that he can take contested marks and seems to have a solid build, i hope we get him at pick 68, he would give us depth in the tall forws as well as ruck depth, thats just a personal prefference

here are some highlights, from afl site and youtube

1. http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-10/harry-dear-highlights

i'd put him in the group with Jack Cripps and Matt Hammelmann, developing tall forw, he is competitive in the ruck also, i like that he can take contested marks and seems to have a solid build, i hope we get him at pick 68, he would give us depth in the tall forws as well as ruck depth, thats just a personal prefference

here are some highlights, from afl site and youtube

1. http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-10/harry-dear-highlights

I agree entirely with what you said, I can just see in our mock draft competition someone taking him before 68 due to all of us being Hawthorn supporters and aware of his potential.

Sad to see Nelson off the table. He's the one I almost picked at 40, thought he might as slipped a bit more but alas, at least gone to Hawthorn :D

My top two guys now are two completely different types of players :D

Pick 49: Hawthorn - Jackson Nelson

Position:
Half Back / Midfield
Height: 187 cm
Weight: 80 kg
DOB: 08/05/1996
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Player style: Luke Hodge

After watching his highlights video (http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-13/jackson-nelson-highlights) I don't know if he is left or right footed and I don't care as kicking from either side of his body seems very natural. I am STUNNED he has dropped to pick 49 because he is the best under 18 half back in the country. Jackson regularly racked up 20+ possession games in TAC cup. Was a solid contributor to the Vic Country team.

This kid will provide the leadership our backline will need when Luke Hodge decides to eventually hang up his boots.

MadDawg thank you for over looking Jackson for the clearly inferior Harrison Wigg.

Gunstall555 over to you!

Here's one of the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back