Jon Ralph on why Macca was sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOOM! In 12 words, The King sums up the problem. It's all in those words, folks. Our club is battling a generationally ingrained culture of settling for less. We have been the VFL/AFL perennial losers and we are quite comfortable with it. King has only gone 50 odd years. Others have gone 60. SIXTY YEARS! That is a lifetime of not knowing what it is like to be a winner. No wonder so many look back wistfully to our prelim defeats - they are the high water marks of our times.

Here is the truth of the situation, and you can all debate it and rant about the minutiae of the current situation, but the bigger picture is where the answer lies.

First of all, though, let me declare my admiration for Brendan McCartney and his intentions. He was two wins away from being able to carry out his plan. The reason he didn't get the two wins is that his senior players let him down - not the kids who were coming through, but the supposed leaders of the club. Had we got a little more from some of the elder statesmen of the group we would have snagged those two wins and we wouldn't have the crisis. It was edifying to hear Cameron Mooney speak after Macca's sacking about the 'sooks' on the list. They would be the same ones who undermined our chances of sustained success by not putting in when it counted. At Geelong, according to Moons, the sooks would have been whacked by the group and brought into line. Ruthlessly. It would have been a self-correcting aberration that didn't stand in the way of the greater purpose of winning premierships. At the Bulldogs, there is no culture of winning, no ingrained understanding of what it takes to win. It takes hard players, with strong minds and ruthless intent.

Decoded, Macca's espousal of 'good people' playing 'the right way' was about being ruthless, hard-arsed bastards who are prepared to win at any cost. You can lament the loss of Shaun Higgins and Liam Jones all you like, but as long as their arses point to the ground they will not be hard bastards who are prepared to win at any cost. Cooney either. These are blokes who proved over a long period that they were only prepared to float through. [By the way, I was absolutely spewing to read that Jones is putting in some early hard yards so that he can be at his best for his first pre-season at Carlton. Might have helped his cause at our club had he brought the same application to doing what was necessary.]

There are others. I had a chat to an inner sanctum member last year after one of ours was nominated for a Rising Star. Apparently, Macca was filthy and wanted to drop the player for disobeying team orders to rack up possessions allowing his man to be one of the opposition's best. But the politicians prevailed. In my opinion, it was the start of the end for him. From that time on he re-doubled his efforts to push the group to take on the hard-arse principles that drive teams to ultimate success. History told what actually happened; the sooks didn't like being held accountable and it showed in their performances.

If we had a few more members, I think the board would have stayed with 'Plan A' and kept Macca on to see out his vision of building a flag capable team. We would have cleaned out the last of the influential soft c0cks, would have snagged Boyd a year later, the young flag-winning* VFL players would have brought some new steel to the group (this will still happen), and we would have moved towards a sustainable winning culture. But, we don't have the 5000 or so discretionary memberships to lose on the back of some hard decisions, and instead went with 'Plan B', which is short term gain (survival) and potentially another 60 years in the wilderness.

*Interesting to note, Black Pup and others, that Chris Maple coached a premiership winning side. Was it because he: a) followed Macca's game plan, b) can coach, c) can't coach, d) got lucky? If you said a) and/or b) give yourself a gold star!

Surface watchers, like Mattdougie, The Athenian and The (spell-check averse) Proffessor, can blame the ex-coach for the situation, but those who look a little deeper will understand the truly epic proportions of the opportunity we have just missed. It was caused not by a coach who 'lost' the players, but a change-resistant culture of losing that stretches back to the mid 1950s. Until we are able to break our connection to being 'battlers' and end our love affair with OK instead of demanding excellence, we are doomed to re-living 'bulldog day' forever.

Let the squabbles, semantics and point-scoring begin!

s**t , all I said was its water off a ducks back

BOOM! In 12 words, The King sums up the problem. It's all in those words, folks. Our club is battling a generationally ingrained culture of settling for less. We have been the VFL/AFL perennial losers and we are quite comfortable with it. King has only gone 50 odd years. Others have gone 60. SIXTY YEARS! That is a lifetime of not knowing what it is like to be a winner. No wonder so many look back wistfully to our prelim defeats - they are the high water marks of our times.

Here is the truth of the situation, and you can all debate it and rant about the minutiae of the current situation, but the bigger picture is where the answer lies.

First of all, though, let me declare my admiration for Brendan McCartney and his intentions. He was two wins away from being able to carry out his plan. The reason he didn't get the two wins is that his senior players let him down - not the kids who were coming through, but the supposed leaders of the club. Had we got a little more from some of the elder statesmen of the group we would have snagged those two wins and we wouldn't have the crisis. It was edifying to hear Cameron Mooney speak after Macca's sacking about the 'sooks' on the list. They would be the same ones who undermined our chances of sustained success by not putting in when it counted. At Geelong, according to Moons, the sooks would have been whacked by the group and brought into line. Ruthlessly. It would have been a self-correcting aberration that didn't stand in the way of the greater purpose of winning premierships. At the Bulldogs, there is no culture of winning, no ingrained understanding of what it takes to win. It takes hard players, with strong minds and ruthless intent.

Decoded, Macca's espousal of 'good people' playing 'the right way' was about being ruthless, hard-arsed bastards who are prepared to win at any cost. You can lament the loss of Shaun Higgins and Liam Jones all you like, but as long as their arses point to the ground they will not be hard bastards who are prepared to win at any cost. Cooney either. These are blokes who proved over a long period that they were only prepared to float through. [By the way, I was absolutely spewing to read that Jones is putting in some early hard yards so that he can be at his best for his first pre-season at Carlton. Might have helped his cause at our club had he brought the same application to doing what was necessary.]

There are others. I had a chat to an inner sanctum member last year after one of ours was nominated for a Rising Star. Apparently, Macca was filthy and wanted to drop the player for disobeying team orders to rack up possessions allowing his man to be one of the opposition's best. But the politicians prevailed. In my opinion, it was the start of the end for him. From that time on he re-doubled his efforts to push the group to take on the hard-arse principles that drive teams to ultimate success. History told what actually happened; the sooks didn't like being held accountable and it showed in their performances.

If we had a few more members, I think the board would have stayed with 'Plan A' and kept Macca on to see out his vision of building a flag capable team. We would have cleaned out the last of the influential soft c0cks, would have snagged Boyd a year later, the young flag-winning* VFL players would have brought some new steel to the group (this will still happen), and we would have moved towards a sustainable winning culture. But, we don't have the 5000 or so discretionary memberships to lose on the back of some hard decisions, and instead went with 'Plan B', which is short term gain (survival) and potentially another 60 years in the wilderness.

*Interesting to note, Black Pup and others, that Chris Maple coached a premiership winning side. Was it because he: a) followed Macca's game plan, b) can coach, c) can't coach, d) got lucky? If you said a) and/or b) give yourself a gold star!

Surface watchers, like Mattdougie, The Athenian and The (spell-check averse) Proffessor, can blame the ex-coach for the situation, but those who look a little deeper will understand the truly epic proportions of the opportunity we have just missed. It was caused not by a coach who 'lost' the players, but a change-resistant culture of losing that stretches back to the mid 1950s. Until we are able to break our connection to being 'battlers' and end our love affair with OK instead of demanding excellence, we are doomed to re-living 'bulldog day' forever.

In a word - BRILLIANT!
The entire board, management, players and most supporters need to read that post - and re read it - until every word echoes in their unconscious.

I better not because it makes me so angry again.

KDF , I don't disagree with anything you have said , except I have no knowledge of why the falling out with Macca. Until I know the exact circumstances it is impossible to form a view whether he should have been kept on.
It seems MD is the only one that has some facts as to what went on ?

KDF , I don't disagree with anything you have said , except I have no knowledge of why the falling out with Macca. Until I know the exact circumstances it is impossible to form a view whether he should have been kept on.
It seems MD is the only one that has some facts as to what went on ?
Really how sad you believe that
I want Macca back now - we are so spineless
If that isn't possible Williams or Thompson to coach and give them free reign - beg them

What a great response KDF67.

I have been biding my time before responding to Macca's 'sacking' because I couldn't find the words or detail to say precisely what I wanted, but your thoughts echo mine so much more clearly.

I would just add that a poster here some time ago said that he spoke to Joel Corey who had told him that much harsher things were said to players at Geelong than were dished out here by Macca.

The idea that players on huge salaries don't have to change their game or that they can't be spoken to in a certain way when they resist that change is just ludicrous. My only cause for concern was just what was Macca saying that caused such disquiet. It appears that his emphasis on the defensive aspects of the game killed the joy of playing, something which Ken Hinkley seems to have managed far better. Whilst I expect a degree of respect to be maintained, I also expect a coach to be in their face if they are not responding.

I think David King was right - Macca was shaking the tree to see who fell out in order to mould and determine who were the hard bastards upon which a premiership team could truly be built.

Last edited:
Really how sad you believe that
If that isn't possible Williams or Thompson to coach and give them free reign - beg them

I am taking it that you have me as one of the " spineless " club ? That's ok . If you knew me , you may change your mind !

I have followed this club with a mad passion for 50 odd years and have come to terms with the reality of this competition.
" Our club is battling a generationally ingrained culture of settling for less "
Bullshit throw away lines that mean jack.
Open your eyes we are a battling club , that is and has been competing with one arm tied behind its back for all my years .
We all know our history , but tell me has there been any point in our history where we are competing on a even playing field with the rest ?
The answer is NO. Ask Smorgon and Gordon whether they are happy with " settling for less " despite poring millions into the club.
Carlton / Essendon ( big financial clubs ) people say we won't accept mediocrity , but when was the last time they challenged ?

To say the coach being moved on is in some way related to all of " us settling for less " doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
For us to win another premiership is going to take an enormous amount of luck as well as good management from here.

You seem to know the coach was terrific and the playing group are precious and sooks , but I don't know !
By the way I have been a Macca supporter all the way through and was as shocked and disappointed as anybody.

Hahahhahahahahaha

My god some people are simple

It's fairly easy even for the most simple minded of us to understand the issue we had with Macca

It's wasn't his rebuilding, it wasn't his changing of long standing culture(that is apparently so bad it got us to 3 prelims in a row not long ago),it's wasnt his tough love.

It was that I had ZERO faith in the bloke pulling any of them off even if he had 10000 years to do it. He was a dud at every level of senior coaching. He may or may not be a good assistant, as I still think Donald Duck could have coached that Geelong side do please stop saying he is good coz 3 players from Geelong said he is. The pies players also screamed how good Neeld was.

And using Mooney as proof the players were soft is laughable. This is the same guy who less than a week before that said the players were firmly behind Macca and had a strong belief in the path they were taking. Perhaps some sour grapes for a mate that was getting him a payback he wasn't earning coz our forward line was sh!t.

Now to the administration. It's clear that none of you understand how business works or look at AFL history. Gordon backing Macca and then changing his mind is not earth shattering as many attempt to say. How many coaches throughout the WORLD, have had the same backing and then got a$$ed the next week or so?? So no that isn't just our club that has done that like some are attempting to say. Did you want him to continue backing a coach that half the players didn't respect? The mistake he made is he should have looked into Griffens issues when they first come up and talked to all the players then.

The club made the biggest mistake in the last 20 years when they resigned Macca, if they didn't he would have been moved on with no fuss and we all wouldn't be that unhappy coz his time was up.

Garlick probably has to go but open your eyes and relax and look at the situation for one second.

Useless coach gone
Captain gone
Jones gone
Higgins gone
Cooney gone
Upheaval everywhere

Do we really want to add

Ceo gone
Football manager gone
Assistants gone

ALL AT ONCE??

Let it settle til we have a coach then address each position one by one.

The number one problem is gone and I would guess Garlick may be next but it has to be done so the club doesn't explode all at once.

Stop rubbishing the clubs internal culture coz that is a Macca hangover, coz that idiot said it needed changing doesn't mean it did and MAYBE that's why a lot of the players also didn't like him. We have made many prelims and clubs with the apparent garbage culture people like Yebiga are trying to say we have don't do that. It may not be perfect but it isn't the basket case some are saying.

Macca was pretty much wrong in everything he did so stop trying to continue the guys path coz it was wrong and is the main reason we are in Sh!tsville not some deluded culture issue

The way Macca spoke to some players is inexcusable and I quite look forward to bumping into him at a game and telling him exactly what I think of him. Gutless human standing behind the role of "coach" to belittle people he isn't happy with and silence concerned voices.

In the school yard it's called a bully
In the house it's called verbal abuse
In the workplace it's called harassment

But still some attempt to call this "tough love and honesty" WOW

Last edited:

My god you have simply lost your mind mate.

Why don't we get Peter Rhode back to assist him

And while we at it Tim Watson as Head of football and Mark Neeld development officer.

You said this isn't about Macca anymore and you want an experienced coach but NOW you want the pumpkin back??

WOW JUST WOW

Can people please give the "oh well at least you have to give Mattdougie some credit, he got it mostly right" line a break?

Ok, he knew player(s) at the club and had the heads up on some unrest. Every single post though still shows him to be supremely arrogant, hyperbolic and illogical. It's so completely and utterly tiresome.

My god that kool aid is strong stuff

This surface dweller thinks this is pretty much complete bullsh!t but respect that is your opinion.

There is one major problem with the above and all Macca supporters argument

MACCA CAN NOT COACH and if you think he was simply 2 wins away from carrying out his plan then you honestly need to open your eyes.

And I for a FACT know that some of the things Macca said to our players would not have worked at Geelong coz blokes like Scarlett wild have simply chinned him. So get your "facts" right coz calling a kid a pussy coz he was upset with a family issue isn't kosha at any level

My god that kool aid is strong stuff

This surface dweller thinks this is pretty much complete bullsh!t but respect that is your opinion.

There is one major problem with the above

MACCA CAN NOT COACH and if you think he was simply 2 wins away from carrying out his plan then you honestly need to open your eyes.

And I for a FACT know that some of the things Macca said to our players would not have worked at Geelong coz blokes like Scarlett wild have simply chinned him so get your "facts" right coz calling a kid a pussy coz he was upset with a family issue isn't kosha at any level
Can people please give the "oh well at least you have to give Mattdougie some credit, he got it mostly right" line a break?

Ok, he knew player(s) at the club and had the heads up on some unrest. Every single post though still shows him to be supremely arrogant, hyperbolic and illogical. It's so completely and utterly tiresome.

Lol

Block me then mate it's pretty simple even for to you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not about blocking you, it's a call to re-align people's values. I'm more than happy to watch you tilting at windmills.

So mine don't agree with yours so MINE must realign?

lol and apparently I'm arrogant.

Well done Nath

Rather tilt windmills than lick windows :)

Some people seem to think a few prelims is good enough..

I tend to think no GF win in 60yrs, no GF appearance in 50 yrs is completely unacceptable and a sign that something is deeply wrong at the Bulldogs. If we were batting at just average we would have around 3/4 GFs and a few more appearances by now.

It seems that Macca tried to change the culture, and was destroyed. However by his own admission he failed to get close enough to the players which may well have allowed him to deliver harsh feedback that was done at Geelong, the difference between head and asst coach.

I cannot even remotely see how Lowe stays, other than in a short term, we need stability kind of way. Garlick will be under massive pressure to avoid f@ck ups like this again.

Nor can I see how anyone closely associated with the recent implosion can stay long term either. And that means all the assistants.

We are a greatly disadvantaged club, but we don't help ourselves. Yeah we nearly folded in the late 80's, Hawthorn nearly merged in the 90's and look at them now.

Far from me to defend MD , but that's a pretty important and relevant "heads up " ?

Some people seem to think a few prelims is good enough..

I tend to think no GF win in 60yrs, no GF appearance in 50 yrs is completely unacceptable and a sign that something is deeply wrong at the Bulldogs. If we were batting at just average we would have around 3/4 GFs and a few more appearances by now.

It seems that Macca tried to change the culture, and was destroyed. However by his own admission he failed to get close enough to the players which may well have allowed him to deliver harsh feedback that was done at Geelong, the difference between head and asst coach.

I cannot even remotely see how Lowe stays, other than in a short term, we need stability kind of way. Garlick will be under massive pressure to avoid f@ck ups like this again.

Nor can I see how anyone closely associated with the recent implosion can stay long term either. And that means all the assistants.

We are a greatly disadvantaged club, but we don't help ourselves. Yeah we nearly folded in the late 890's, Hawthorn nearly merged in the 90's and look at them.

No mate I dont people think it's acceptable to Some just to make prelims and we all pray for day we make a GF.

But to attempt to say we have an absolutely cr@p culture is wrong, as I've said its not perfect but does it have to be 100% perfect

Geelong we're still piss heads when they won the first grand final
Weagles was riddled with drugs when they won.

Thompson won a flag after a long time at the Cats
Roos did the same at the swans.

Did either man feel the need to be complete pr!cks about it and blame the senior players for not being good enough?

Far from me to defend MD , but that's a pretty important and relevant "heads up " ?

No Doubt KH. And this board is a great resource for insights like that. It's the hyperbole that it's couched in and the definitive and all-knowing claims that I struggle with. He's got some information and drawn conclusions that are still clearly too far-reaching and baseless and for some reason posters are suddenly kowtowing to him.

This place feels like the twilight zone of late.

Making anyone out to be some kind of nostradamus because...

1 - They predicted a coach would be sacked (they nearly all are aren't they?)
2 - Saying some players don't like a coach (happens at every club, particularly fringe players)

Give me a spell.

The CAPS, FACTS & grudges continue. Strange how the anti Macca crew are hanging their hat on Macca 'bullying' & 'harassing' players when during the year they were saying he is way too soft with players and wish he would give the players a bake more often. I guess people change the FACTS to suit their argument.

Lol

I find some people amusing that they are annoyed other admit I was right about some of the things I said

I've made more comments that have been wrong then have been right but some now are annoyed that I'm being given credit for info I passed on

I don't need not want credit for that info coz it wasn't an opinion it was factual info so wasn't from my beautiful mind.

I told you their was unrest in March
I told you Higgins would go
I told you Jones would go
I told you Talia wasn't happy
I told you Smith wasn't happy
I told about Scott West applying for job before Macca got sacked

These werent guessed they were info I got and I don't deserve any credit for them and ask for none

But stop being pathetic and still whipping me coz that info was right and somehow that makes me arrogant get over it people it's not my fault Macca is gone

No fargy, don't you see, he's a complete spud FACT. Completely hopeless at every single aspect of his job and an abject failure as a human being.

But we don't have any cultural or structural problems, because appointing a guy who is a complete spud isn't a big deal, let alone renewing his contract, let alone appointing basically the same panel to make the next head-coaching selection. Actually, all those things are Macca's fault too, such a failure is he.

Even the simplest of chimps with a frontal lobotomy could see that.

The CAPS, FACTS & grudges continue. Strange how the anti Macca crew are hanging their hat on Macca 'bullying' & 'harassing' players when during the year they were saying he is way too soft with players and wish he would give the players a bake more often. I guess people change the FACTS to suit their argument.

If that is directed at me I want you to find one single comment where I said the man was soft to players

One and I'm gone for good

If it is directed at me please stop twisting the FACTS to suit your purpose I've bever ever said that

If it isn't disregard this post

No fargy, don't you see, he's a complete spud FACT. Completely hopeless at every single aspect of his job and an abject failure as a human being.

But we don't have any cultural or structural problems, because appointing a guy who is a complete spud isn't a big deal, let alone renewing his contract, let alone appointing basically the same panel to make the next head-coaching selection. Actually, all those things are Macca's fault too, such a failure is he.

Even the simplest of chimps with a frontal lobotomy could see that.

Who has EVER said we don't have issues? Who has ever said we don't need to fix things?

Wow if you wanna see that monkey check out a mirror :)

I'm not your most ardent follower but I was referring to this:

Stop rubbishing the clubs internal culture coz that is a Macca hangover, coz that idiot said it needed changing doesn't mean it did and MAYBE that's why a lot of the players also didn't like him. We have made many prelims and clubs with the apparent garbage culture people like Yebiga are trying to say we have don't do that. It may not be perfect but it isn't the basket case some are saying.

Macca was pretty much wrong in everything he did so stop trying to continue the guys path coz it was wrong and is the main reason we are in Sh!tsville not some deluded culture issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back