Mega Thread Draft Day Supermegaultrathread - It's finally here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
wce could have taken Menadue instead of Lamb or ed langdon at Nelson pick if serious about adding pace
Either Menadue or Langdon would've been nice, certainly a lot faster than Lamb and Nelson.
Wish that we added at least one genuinely fast player out of the four.
Well, at least we still have Maggie and Muzza.
They are a sensitive bunch :)

I half suspected we would pick up Hardisty and glad we didn't.
It's not too late, we could still take him in the rookie draft, we do need to eventually replace our #1 midfielder.
PLAYER PROFILE – Tom Lamb

PLAYS LIKE: Jack Watts (Melbourne)

**** me.
"Lamb is a bit similar to Jack Watts. He has a lean body and avoids body contact in contested situations. He’s a reliable lead up target, but doesn’t quite have all the tricks of a high class key forward. Lamb is really athletic, and can run all day if he wants, but he doesn’t quite have the work ethic yet."

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-tom-lamb/

Interesting that we did indeed go with five midfielders, the first three being genuinely versatile also. Two of them can equally play in defense, while Lamb and even Cavka could play as forwards.

I'm pretty comfortable with Duggan. It's important to remember that he is a few weeks shy of being eligible for the 2015 draft. You're probably better off comparing him physically to how these draftees looked last season. To me he looks like he has the frame to become quite a solidly built midfielder, he has a good foundation. If he becomes a genuine outside midfielder he could become a star.

My only concern is that our future midfield may comprise of three very similarly profiled mids in Sheed, Waterman & Duggan. I think Duggan projects the highest of the three though. He really does have probably the best skills in the draft. I think even if he plays predominantly on a back flank - these types of players are bloody important in the gameplan Simpson is trying to employ. He's talked before about how important guys like Suckling and Birchall are for a defense. Guys who can launch attacks from defense. At the very least Duggan, Ellis and Hurn could be a very damaging backline trio over the next few years.

Lamb was far from a favourite of mine heading into the day. I'm not really sure what sort of player he is going to turn into and his hair annoys me. However, I recognise he was a great value selection where he was and we certainly don't have many of his type - which is the main appeal. I think best case scenario he is a strong marking half forward cum wingman. If he gets a sensible haircut I will warm to him.

Nelson has some very nice attributes. It seems in O'Brien's comments on him they definitely see him as a midfielder. The ability to play in defense will be ultra important for him also. Adding Duggan & Nelson to our defensive stocks certainly makes them look healthier after our recent cleanout. Cavka I'm not hugely well versed on but cannot deny he was a value selection at 66 where I had previously heard he was around the mark at Collingwood's 30.

Finally - Duggan is a good looking kid that will look fantastic in royal wings. Little to no homo.

Like that after being criticized for being too WA-centric we've selected 4 Victorians, means that hopefully those kids can bond as a group and encourage each other to stay
Historically WC have never had much trouble keeping Vics or any other type of Aussie. Brauny was from Echuca, he stayed, Judd is the only real example that shines out, but he did a great thing for the club. K Stevens was a minor speedbump.
I am never worried when WC choose from beyond the state.

Lamb was far from a favourite of mine heading into the day. I'm not really sure what sort of player he is going to turn into and his hair annoys me.
If he doesn't change his hair, delist at seasons end.
Finally - Duggan is a good looking kid that will look fantastic in royal wings. Little to no homo.
BOWDEN-WANK.gif

Rookie Draft 1 selection

Iam strongly hearing we will go Markov.

Abbot and Shane Yarran the other considerations that we know of along with Jermaine Miller-Lewis.

I would like Yarran for his speed and goal kicking

If we get Markov in the rookie draft I will declare this in our top 5 drafts of all time.

Surely St Kilda are the winners in the draft (with their high picks).

It seems that both Freo and WCE took players not in their primary list deficiencies. Not necessarily bad players drafted, but won't fix the issues faced at the clubs.
Not sure I can support the second part of the equation. Freo reinforced their strength and cannot believe they went Weller instead of Lever or Goddard or Durdin at 13.

How does stacking up on 5 great potential midfield that all offer points of difference is not address our list deficiencies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I think about this draft the more happy I am with it. Absolutely awesome draft for us.
If we rookie Lucas it will blunten it somewhat though. Do we have one rookie pick? Or two?

If we rookie Lucas it will blunten it somewhat though. Do we have one rookie pick? Or two?

Not sure. Really have no need for Lucas.

Interested in the part about quality ball users. Duggan is obviously this, but I was under the impression Lamb can really burn it whilst Nelson and Cavka are just OK/adequate users. Clearly this isn't in line with the WC team's views?

I doubt I'll get a straight answer, but did Geelong pip us at 10?

Quality kicks are easy to see but kids who aren't quality kicks may be so for a number of reasons such as ball drop, leg swing, head position etc. some are easier to fix than others so when you look at Lamb you will see a great dichotomy between his best and worst. That tells the recruiters that there is something to work with. But he is such a talent it's worth a shot. Nelson is better than just OK in his kicking as is Cavka.

As to Cockatoo - well we'll never know

Fair points but I believe duggans disposal by foot will compensate his lack of pace so I'm happy with us picking him

Speed or the lack thereof was the one area of our midfield that we didn't specifically address today but I've been trying to think of an instance where Simpson has expressed a concern at our lack of pace - he's banged on about bigger bodies and the need to go harder for longer along with our disposal. Our selections today address those concerns of his

I'd be very surprised if Simpson wasn't the one pushing hardest for dugggan
Exactly my reasoning for why I knew we'd take Doug

Not sure. Really have no need for Lucas.
We only have 1 rookie pick. Sitting as rookies (Cat A) are Newman, Powell and Maginness and with 40 players on the main list, we are allowed 4.

I would like to look at Keitel for the rookie pick. We have a track record of banking a tall and missing out on the main draft may be enough to clip his reported arrogance.

Tyler Keitel (East Perth)
Born 7.2.1996, 194cm, 86kg
AFL biography: Tall forward who provided a strong marking target up forward and has good speed to get space off his opponent. Averaged 6.2 marks and 15.8 disposals as Western Australia's most dangerous forward during the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Can also transition into defence when called upon with great effect making him an extremely versatile footballer.
Raff Guadagnino, WAFL: "Tyler is probably the most professional player in our group. He leaves no stone unturned and he really plans everything out and make sure his training, his recovery, all the little things are done well. He's been seen as a tall forward but he could easily be manufactured into one of those players who plays well at both ends. He's a really nice kid who just wants to play well and has a great mindset."

Quality kicks are easy to see but kids who aren't quality kicks may be so for a number of reasons such as ball drop, leg swing, head position etc. some are easier to fix than others so when you look at Lamb you will see a great dichotomy between his best and worst. That tells the recruiters that there is something to work with. But he is such a talent it's worth a shot. Nelson is better than just OK in his kicking as is Cavka.

As to Cockatoo - well we'll never know
Bondy - are you happy? There are a number on the board who are looking at the portfolio of 5 and see that we have picked up some real quality who each bring a great point of difference. With the picks we had, I was delighted with the overall list additions.

Cripps for rookie pick, surely

Not sure I can support the second part of the equation. Freo reinforced their strength and cannot believe they went Weller instead of Lever or Goddard or Durdin at 13.

How does stacking up on 5 great potential midfield that all offer points of difference is not address our list deficiencies?

Exactly.

Duggan - Luke Hodge style player who can play back / mid / forward
Lamb - 192 cm lightening bolt who can play anywhere but ruck
Nelson - dual sided half back / mid
Cavka - quick half forward / outside mid
Waterman - big bodied inside mid

Freo have gone tall in the last two drafts but I was astounded they overlooked Lever, Goddard and a couple of other top line talls. Its not as if the talls they have drafted have impressed that much.

Wasn't that excited when I first heard we chose Duggan but after watching his highlights and his interviews I am happy with the selection, has Sam Mitchell written all over him, can't believe he is still 17 wish I was that mature now at 29 let alone 17. Will be a future leader of the club
Lol. I've hear people describe Duggan as Mitchell, Pendlebury, Gaff and Dal Santo.

Fwiw, he's nothing like Mitchell

Dougie Hawkins who coached Liam Duggan compare's him to the late Robbie Flower which is a big expectation , just based on the fact he has it all ....just needs to make the most of his skills and attitude like any of the draftee's !

The good thing about the draft is that we drafted the five midfielders and in one season of drafting Adam Simpson plus the recruiters have addressed a need . If current midfielders don't produce in the next season or two there would / should be a group pushing up for there place in the team .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back