Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Niiiice democritus :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Feel like Sheridan might be a bit of a dark horse this season.

Interesting that you singled Barlow out as lacking in decisiveness, I always thought his footy brain and his ability to quickly evaluate and subsequently execute was among our best.

Cheers mate.

I think in a stoppage situation this is certainly the case with Barlow. Give him a contested scenario and he makes the best decision 9 times out of 10.

However in today's match sim, he was paying surprisingly deep in defence and was happy to kick sideways or backwards or honour a short lead with a loopy pass when a better option was available for a fast break. As a result his team was hemmed in and choked up by the press with little room to move.

To some degree you could argue he's playing to the percentages and his personal limitations but it's fairly clear Ross has challenged the player's to work on this aspect of their game. Not everyone has the smarts and precision of Hill when it comes to moving the ball into a dangerous area, but it'd be nice if a few more players presented a real threat delivering the ball into the forward fifty.

Take note people, that is how you write a training report!
democritus has set the bar very high indeed. I'll need to lift my game next pre-season. The thing I noticed most today was how much Hurley has improved his basic skills. Okinakashi also pointed this out in his report, but Hurley seems to have lost some of his awkwardness with his ball drop that he had only 5 or 6 weeks ago. His kicking action looks quite fluent now. He obviously still has a lot to learn about the game but there are definitely some positive signs there.

Here are just a couple of things I noticed today. Mundy and Fyfe did a lot of rucking today as the 3rd man up during the drills. It can look a bit incidental during games but it is clearly something they train to do. Weller, Hughes, Blakely and Langdon were taken aside early in training with Lloyd. They moved to different positions on the ground and I could only just hear what they were talking about. I heard Lloyd explain a scenario to the group and then ask one of them to explain where each of the players should move to for that scenario. Lloyd then described several other scenarios and again another member of the group was asked to explain how they should react to it. At the end of the "class" I heard Lloyd tell them all that their understanding of the exercise was "excellent".

I also noticed Fyfe being very vocal, he let players know in no uncertain terms when they had missed an opportunity to give the ball off. Its no place for the feint hearted out there I heard RTB, SOS, Fyfe and a couple of others hand out some very stern rebukes/instructions for incorrect ball movement or tardy play. RTB stopped one of the drills just after Tabs and Whoosh had contested a mark. "What do you think I'm gonna tell ya Tabs" said Ross. "I'm leading too high" said Tabs, "I've got to lead deeper". From the few sessions I've seen that has been a common theme, kicking the ball deep into the F50 on forward forays. The contact stuff has started now, RTB told TV off for not putting enough pressure on Mayne in a marking contest. "Make him play some footy Tommy". Before the game simulation started I heard RTB congratulate the group on how well they were training.

Early in the session Fyfe was giving some coaching to Hurley, from his actions he seemed to be showing Hurley how to keep the ball elevated in contested situations. Fyfe seems ready and willing to lead. There were no loopy kicks from Clancee today, he looked quite sharp. Hughes is going to be an interesting prospect this year, man I can't wait for the wafl to start. I think this kid could be very good for us. He looked quite accomplished out there and now has some confidence amongst the group. He fluffed one kick but other than that he looked to have some nice skills and covers the ground well, IMHO he's already gone past Vandeleur. I don't recall seeing Tanner out there today, maybe one of the other watchers saw him.

#ffcpreseason

Last edited:

Maybe post one also?
Bit hard when I'm not in WA. Wasn't a knock on anyone elses posts, rather a compliment on the length and detail of Democritus' post. I'm grateful for every post and am glad people take the time to do them. It certainly wasn't meant to be derogatory to anyone whatsoever. So you can unbunch your panties now.

Bit hard when I'm not in WA. Wasn't a knock on anyone elses posts, rather a compliment on the length and detail of Democritus' post. I'm grateful for every post and am glad people take the time to do them. It certainly wasn't meant to be derogatory to anyone whatsoever. So you can unbunch your panties now.

I think that was pretty evident mate, he doesn't do reports too often either so it's good to encourage people outside the regulars anyway; they've been paid their dues already :D

Went down today with my three groms for a bit of a look.
Unfortunately, not much to report as almost all the players trained indoors.
A few points of note- Pav, 211 and Sylvia ran laps with Sylvia looking in a world of pain as he went by. Sylvia had his own fitness coach the whole time giving instruction and feedback. He managed to puke a couple of times, though it was more dry reaching than projectile ;).
Dunno about Col, he looks a bit half hearted to me and doesn't seem to have that enthusiasm that you see with the rest of the players.
Tanner and Jonno with "the General" Roger Hayden and a couple of other coaches did ball drills and a bit of goal kicking. Tanner and Jonno finished with some run throughs. Jonno potted a couple of goals on the run and left footed. Although there was no pressure, he kicks very well off the left foot. Has RTB got plans for him forward this year?? Time will tell.
Tanner looks fit and super keen. I still think he'll make it if he keeps showing that on the track.
Not much else to mention. Cudos to Super Pav for giving my kids a quick wave and Hi as he went by. Made their day!

Last edited:
Agree, wouldn't have picked him straight away if it wasn't for the awful sleeve tatts.

I hope Hurley is coming on a lot faster than people have anticipated. HAving said that, he can't really play next year unless we have an injury, so happy to keep in the backburner till next year.

For me if Hurley is playing regular WAFL early, really contributing by mid year and debuts anytime in 2016 that's still going to be a lot faster than many people are expecting. We'll know more once the season starts but so far taking that extra year to sign him seems like such a good idea, from what little we've heard it sounds like he's done some decent prep and mentally is really committed to making the most of the opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2 most approachable players at the club would be MJ & Crowley. Antoni Grover and Roger Hayden all used to love a chat to the fans a couple of years ago as well

Sutcliffe is another player that gives everyone a big smile , chats with the fans , autograph to anyone that asks and is quick to call up the rest of the players around him to sign autographs or have a photo taken .He's a very unassuming and approachable young man .

Sutcliffe is another player that gives everyone a big smile , chats with the fans , autograph to anyone that asks and is quick to call up the rest of the players around him to sign autographs or have a photo taken .He's a very unassuming and approachable young man .

Who is the most coachable player Coulda?

I don't mean to intrude as im a crows supporter but I just wanted your opinion on this. If Ross Lyon was to fail this year what would you supporters want to happen to Lyon would you give him another year or start to worry that he can't lead this club to a premiership.

I don't mean to intrude as im a crows supporter but I just wanted your opinion on this. If Ross Lyon was to fail this year what would you supporters want to happen to Lyon would you give him another year or start to worry that he can't lead this club to a premiership.
Your using the world 'fail' very loosely. Lyon has a structure that is in place now at the club alongside recruiting and management. I can't see him going anywhere nor would I want him too. There are many great coaches that 'fail' every year and you never know what's around the corner. Take Malcolm Blight for example. Even teams in so-called 'dynasty' periods end up only winning 1 premiership.
IMO I don't want to see Lyon go anywhere but stay at our club.

Good question phill1795.

Depends on what is classified as a fail. To some, anything but a flag is a fail, but for those of us who remember the bad old days, finishing consistently in the top four and building a team capable of winning multiple flags is not necessarily a fail.

In my view, unless we actually slide and show signs that we are declining I would like to see us persist with Ross.

Your using the world 'fail' very loosely. Lyon has a structure that is in place now at the club alongside recruiting and management. I can't see him going anywhere nor would I want him too. There are many great coaches that 'fail' every year and you never know what's around the corner. Take Malcolm Blight for example. Even teams in so-called 'dynasty' periods end up only winning 1 premiership.
IMO I don't want to see Lyon go anywhere but stay at our club.
Yeah I hope your club can take out a premiership one day to repay the loyal supporters but just not against the crows

Good question phill1795.

Depends on what is classified as a fail. To some, anything but a flag is a fail, but for those of us who remember the bad old days, finishing consistently in the top four and building a team capable of winning multiple flags is not necessarily a fail.

In my view, unless we actually slide and show signs that we are declining I would like to see us persist with Ross.
I didn't make myself clearer sorry, I was meant to say if he fails to get the club in the top 4.

Your dancing with the devil with this sort of quote around here!

As far as performance goes my personal opinion is that I'm not too fazed if we drop a bit cos Ross is a good coach and good coaches are hard to find so I wouldn't be giving him the bullet for one below average season (and his average at freo is very good).

But IMO Ross' weakness as a coach is his list/ age management. We saw this at St Kilda and Freo are now in a similar boat in that we are the oldest list in the league and I feel a few of our 30+ brigade should have already been moved on. It's not really a problem for me while Ross is in charge but really becomes a problem if Ross leaves at the end of his contract and we get an unproven coach. If we do drop down Id actually like to see how Ross goes developing a young side so hope he doesn't go anywhere.

Your dancing with the devil with this sort of quote around here!

As far as performance goes my personal opinion is that I'm not too fazed if we drop a bit cos Ross is a good coach and good coaches are hard to find so I wouldn't be giving him the bullet for one below average season (and his average at freo is very good).

But IMO Ross' weakness as a coach is his list/ age management. We saw this at St Kilda and Freo are now in a similar boat in that we are the oldest list in the league and I feel a few of our 30+ brigade should have already been moved on. It's not really a problem for me while Ross is in charge but really becomes a problem if Ross leaves at the end of his contract and we get an unproven coach. If we do drop down Id actually like to see how Ross goes developing a young side so hope he doesn't go anywhere.

True with the saints but Freo has gone to the national draft each year and picked a crop of young players.

Some picks have already not made it and some are starting to find there feet. That comes down to the recruiters as much as Ross.

If we moved on our elder statesmen such as Pav and Luke Mc who are still playing good footy and can teach the young guys leadership skills then I would be annoyed with Ross. It's a fine balance.

When he started with us it was quite common to hear people say that we are a 3 person team, with Pavlich, Sandilands and MacPharlin the keys to success. He has moved us on from that situation, and we now have quite a deep pool of emerging stars and leaders. The young brigade looks skilled and exciting too. He also seems to be building a terrific platform for those 3 champions to have a great season. The breadth and depth of what Lyon does at this club is so far beyond what any other coach has given us that it is almost breathtaking. Not going to trade that in for a rookie coach any time soon.

He is contracted beyond this season and there is no realistic situation why that would change. I guess if we missed the finals that would be discussed. Top 4 not so much as it already looks a bit more competitive for 2015 than for 2014. The only reason I would be wanting him to go is if he is not the best option available, and that is simply not likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back