Hot Topic Who should be our next coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Proper recruiting processes can still get you duds like Watters, Neeld, Sanderson etc

Well, no, actually.

Anyone who has worked in recruitment will tell you that not all processes are the same - there are good ones and bad ones.

I don't recommend the Melbourne powerpoint marathon type process for a moment.

But I do think that a good selection panel, with clarity about its goals and selection criteria will generally work well.

A good process, properly run, will yield the best candidate.

Well, no, actually.

Anyone who has worked in recruitment will tell you that not all processes are the same - there are good ones and bad ones.

But I do think that a good selection panel, with clarity about its goals and selection criteria will generally work well.

Generally...

Well, no, actually.

A good selection panel may involve people from outside of carlton too, lets try something different this time around instead of 'appointing' someone, plenty of clubs have had success by taking their time and gleaning who's available.

Last edited:
This topic is about two years too early for mine. I hope sanity prevails and Mick gets to continue to re-shape the list as he has been doing for the past two years.

I know i will be howled down for saying this but i believe changing direction now would be disastrous, especially with an untried coach. Let him hand the list on to the next bloke in better shape than it was when he started.

It seemed to me that the players were doing it for him on Saturday but the lack of talent he bemoaned was really on show. Definitely let him see out his contract but if we get worse not better expect him to retire wit dignity at year's end.

If you think a proper recruitment process is garbage you're a bit of relic. The handshake deals of the past should be consigned to the dustbin of history.
Except there'll never be a proper recruitment process, even if you go through the motions of a proper recruitment process. In a competition involving 17 other teams, there's only educated guesses and a blind/leap of faith.

The Hawks' appointment of Clarkson was not an accident. They took their time, worked out what they wanted, and found Clarkson. He was not the leading candidate going in, yet he got the job. In other words, a very successful process. You really concede this by calling it educated.

If you want to know why this once proud club is doing so poorly it is precisely because it not modernised its approaches to a range of things, chiefly recruitment practice (players, coaches and admin).
I'm saying it now. If we do what the Hawks have done, we will never get one premiership out of the following period. Doing what others do, means you just do it the way they do it, just not as good!

Except there'll never be a proper recruitment process, even if you go through the motions of a proper recruitment process. In a competition involving 17 other teams, there's only educated guesses and a blind/leap of faith.

I'm saying it now. If we do what the Hawks have done, we will never get one premiership out of the following period. Doing what others do, means you just do it the way they do it, just not as good!

So the most successful clubs are just lucky are they? Such rational thinking.

None of this is making sense ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton wants SOS's great mate - Ross Lyon FACT. Unlikely - but who knows.

Why can't we keep MM involved in some capacity and get the coach for next 3-5 years ie Nathan Bassett / or M Voss?

Please not Voss.

He drinks his own bath water for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Plus anyone stupid enough to recruit an idiot like Fevola after all the s**t he created at CFC is obviously not real smart!!!

Patrick Cripps. After being a 4 time premiership captain under Malthouse, he leaves the club and does a variety of assistant jobs at other clubs, before returning home to serve as an assistant under MM while a succession plan is implemented for him to take the reigns over from Mick.

As a Norwood fan I would be so excited to see Nathan Bassett as coach of this great club. When he took over Norwood the club was a basketcase. He brought professionalism, a clear direction, and a up to date gameplan! The players respected him and it showed through their efforts on the field. Individual players improved and the team as a whole become more cohesive in their direction. He left the team after back to back premierships. He turned the team around so quickly too, and Norwood are still reaping the benefits of his legacy as they have just won their third in a row.

After saying all that, I'm still in the support Mick group at the moment whilst he is coach and contracted. Although I do believe that the senior coach position (and assistants) should be reviewed at the end of the year. Not saying I don't think he isn't the man for the job, but since Carlton have declared a new direction (rebuild), the criteria we value in a coach may have changed. If after the review Mick is found to be the best person for the rebuild, I will support the club in that.

I struggle to judge good footballers whilst watching on a TV screen 3000km from where the game is playing and not observing what occurs behind play and not knowing the instructions any given player receives or the structures being enacted

I therefore think I am in an excellent position to judge "who" should be our next coach;)
On the other hand I am full of opinion and therefore this is "what" I think our next coach should have as characteristics:
- tactically strong including game day (can roll to Plan B)
- been involved in good programs (premiership winning or ongoing finals programs)
- good communication skills and man management skills (delegates and develops quality assistant coaches)
- values development (had out turn of being in the wilderness - want out time in the sun and that means developing youngsters to replace/regenerate list)

And the list goes on - lets just hope we don't fall into the job for the boys or quick fix strategy

For what it's worth I am ambivalent to Malthouse - he says some things that grate with me, he says other things that I agree with - if he wins more games I will tolerate his crustyness, I will however be calling for his head if the majority of the games we play this year are consistent with Games 1 and 2 this year. Not saying that Game 3 I enjoyed but at least the first and fourth quarters we showed some promise and I wanted to watch the game.

A good selection panel may involve people from outside of carlton too, lets try something different this time around instead of 'appointing' someone, plenty of clubs have had success by taking their time and gleaning who's available.

Hawthorn went through a similar selection process when they narrowly avoided the spoon and saw that Clarkson stood out when taking into account his interview presentation and the broad pre senior AFL coaching experiences he had at several clubs. Favourite sons who had senior AFL coaching experience were overlooked- Ayres, Eade and Wallace.

We should adopt a similar process otherwise we may overlook a future coaching gem if we once again do what we have done in recent years; simply appointing someone just because he is a favourite son or a premiership coach.

Yep he'd be good. Cluey, intense, respected and feisty
I admired him as a player too. Type 1 diabetes didn't seem to stop him. He's also done some charity work for diabetes.
Might have worked wonders with Sugar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back